“Great Staycation”

Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Sahuarita, United States
“Great Staycation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Wife and I stayed at the Casino Del Sol last night for her birthday - a chance to get away for a night. We don't gamble but intended to do it for the pool, food and lounges. It was a great choice. The pool bar is called The Oasis Bar and is aptly names. The design of the pool and landscaping made us feel like we were at an oasis in the middle of the desert. I guess literally we were. There are many different restaurants in the Casino from casual to formal as well as a variety of cuisines. The food on the buffet looked great but the atmosphere has more of a cafeteria feel to it. We wanted sit-down service. We chose to eat at Ume, a contemporary Chinese restaurant. We checked the menu before going in and it had many appealing choices. Unfortunately after being seated we sat for about 10 minutes with not a single server stopping at our table so we left. This is our only negative experience at the Casino and decided not to lower our rating because of it. We notified the hostess as we left about our experience and we could tell she was quite embarrassed and apologetic. So, we chose the Tequila Factory and had the Mexican buffet. More than filling.

One of the things that we were extremely impressed with is minimal cigarette smoke smell. Neither one of us are smokers (any more) and hate trying to eat in a place where smoke is wafting around you. We've been in a couple other casinos and are turned off by the heavy smell of stale cigarette smoke. While you certainly smell some cigarette smoke in Casino Del Sol it's not overpowering and all the restaurants were enclosed enough so you couldn't smell it while you ate..

We did not attend the show and tried just a couple of slot machines just to say we did. All staff was very friendly and attentive when we had questions. Our room was extremely clean and up to date. Felt like we were in a new hotel. The bed was very comfortable. Keurig coffee maker in every room.

Overall we really enjoyed our night at Casino Del Sol and highly recommend it. We will do this again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MVollmer, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am pleased you felt Casino Del Sol Resort was a great choice for your get-away. Like the hostess you spoke to, I must apologize for the wait time you experienced. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Went to the hotel bar for happy hour with friends. Half price food and drinks. The hamburger I had was not very good and the G&T I had was the worst I have ever had. Was there any gin in it? Wait staff was competent and attentive, but did not make up for the poor quality food and drink. Would not go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Our Team Members work very hard at providing our guests with a good experience, but it sounds like we did not do that for you in this case. Please allow me to apologize for our less than quality service.
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is our "go to" mini vacation hotel and casino. I'm not a gambler so it's my time to watch my favorite TV show on the 54" in room TV's, take a long hot shower in the beautiful walk in shower with big thick, soft towels. It's always top notch clean and rooms always smell fresh upon arrival. Rooms are well insulated and other than an occasional slammed door, you rarely hear a thing.
Hubby loves the slots so both of us are happy. Highly recommend this hotel!!! The beds are awesome. Not a hotel or motel person, so for me to say this, believe me, it means something. We are generally RVers so we take our own bed with us!!! Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this amazing recommendation. We are pleased you had such a good stay and look forward to your return soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We live in Tucson and frequent the Sol often as it is always clean and employees are always friendly !!!!! The hotel stay was absolutely fantastic as it was not our first it turned out to be our best !!!! We were greeted with a happy anniversary greeting from the front desk /conicere (sp?) who was more than happy to make our reservation for dinner @PY for that evening !!!! Had a wonderful two days enjoyed everything and everyone !!!!! Sometimes it is the effort you put into something that offers so many more happy memories !!!!!! A mere hello can make anothers day and a snub can ruin it !!!!!! And again thank you one and all for a beautiful trip !!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share in this very special occasion, your 49th wedding anniversary. We hope you will return to celebrate many more to come here with us at Casino Del Sol Resort.
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our stay at Casino Del Sol Resort (run by the Pascua Yaqui nation) was pleasant enough, with only a couple of minor flaws. We stayed one night, last night, on a brief couples get-away.

The flaws (all pretty small)

- Although we arrived for check-in at 4:15, our room still wasn't ready
- Rate advertised on the web did not include an "occupancy fee" of about 10%, which we learned about only once standing at the desk clicking through the registration agreement
- Unsuccessful attempt on part of the front desk clerk to re-encode the room key near check-out time left me running up and down and up and down trying to get back into the room to access/load luggage when the key wouldn't work
- Steak at Sunday brunch seemed undercooked enough for me to worry over food safety
- Pool crowded to the brim with screaming children made us change our mind against swimming, which was a bummer
- Thin walls between rooms meant we could hear every word shouted by our boisterous neighbors 'til we turned on our portable white noise generator
- Overhead lighting in bathroom, even though supplemented with integrated glowing bands embedded in the mirror, made putting on make-up quite difficult guess-work, and make-up mirror on articulating arm was no help due to the glare and shadows cast by (again) harsh overhead light (e.g. nose cast a shadow over my lips, preventing adequate application of lipstick, no matter how I angled my head)
- Blinking icon on alarm clock provided in the room was too small to make out, thus spurring us to feel the need to unplug the clock altogether, lest we risk being awoken by an alarm we ourselves did not set

The highlights

+ Bed had some fabulous pillow-topper and was exceptionally comfortable. Firm enough mattress, with soft enough top that I felt no pressure point pain, and slept *well*
+ Many tempting, fresh selections at the Festa buffet, with highlights including yucca fries, crabcakes, and Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce. A reasonably adequate salad bar.
+ Nice mountain view from our room, with the attractive signature copper-topped dome visible to the west
+ Desk personnel kept their cool dealing with our complaints/concerns and proactively offered assists with such things as a rolling luggage cart to help me singlehandedly get us checked out in the AM when I was left in charge of all our luggage
+ Desk personnel allowed us a 1-hour margin for a late check-out at no extra charge
+ My husband pronounced his golf experience playing on the resort's "Sewailo" course as "excellent"
+ The room was clean, with a nice layout

Bottom line: a pleasant experience we would be open to repeating.

Room Tip: Depending on your taste, you could ask for "pool view" or "mountain view." Our...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this very detailed review. Guest feedback, whether favorable or not, is always appreciated. I am pleased we were able to accommodate you in so many ways, and certainly understand some of your concerns. Thank you again for your feedback.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We live in Tucson and visit Del Sol Casinos on a regular basis. I won a free night at the Hotel and decided to visit and see how it was. Nice to get away from the house for an evening. Checked in and was charged $50.00 on my credit card for any "incidentals". No problem as I didn't expect to have any charges. (told it would be refunded in 7-10 days). Room was a little smaller than I expected, but very nice. After check in, I asked where the Parking Garage elevator was and was told there was none. (There really is one). When I got my bags and went up to the room, a large group was attempting to get in their room but could not operated the key card. A hotel staff member assisted them by pushing me out of the way and not letting me by with my 2 bags. ( some staff were either rude or made sure they avoided you), while others were very friendly and made sure they said hello to everyone who passed by them. Spent some time playing the slots and had a blast in the evening playing some black jack. The next morning, I was woke up by a knock on the door at 7:30 am, only to find out after I had to completely wake up to hear what she was saying, that they were just checking in on everyone. (Huh?)
We had a small dinner and the burros were wonderful!!
Only a couple things I believe are not that great for the quality of the Hotel.
1. Pillows were horrible. (did not asked for another since it was well past midnight when I went to bed)
2. Fridge doesn't have room for any type of bottles and only hold about 3 or 4 cans.

If you bring your favorite beverage to with you, They do not allow you to take them on the casino floor. We had to dispose of them before entering the casino portion of the resort.

Room Tip: Get a pool side view. Overlooks the pool and the entire Gold course and mountain views. Don't ch...
1 Thank Chris K
MVollmer, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback by way of this review. I was sorry to learn your experience was not what it should have been, and truly apologize for that. We take our guests' comments seriously and will certainly look into the issues you experienced.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have been a frequent spa customer since it opened and always request Liz as my therapist. She is the most amazing therapist I have ever had and such a wonderful caring person who is totally tuned into making your massage experience the best you will ever have. She always ask how I'm doing and really listens to what you respond. On one visit I had told how rough a week I had and how my feet ached and she made sure to focus a little more on them, on another occasion I mentioned I was really having serious hot flashes, and instead of warm packs she used cold ones that immediately made me cool down and allowed to enjoy that massage as much as the others. From time to time she will incorporate the fragrances that I love which really makes me feel special because the remembers what they are. When I first started seeing Liz I was so stressed out from work and caring for an elderly parent, my muscles were so tight and I had constant pain and short tempered. I am grateful to say that her magic touch had relieved all of that, I am a better wife, daughter, mother, grandmother, friend and employee and owe it all to Liz's magic hands. She is was a god sent to the massage therapy profession and as well as the spa and as long as she is there I will see her as frequently as my schedule allows. Liz you have changed my life for the better :-) Gloria Romero

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you, Ms. Romero, for your wonderful review. Liz is a favorite of many and we are lucky to have her as one of our Team Members. I will share your kind comments with Liz and her supervisor.