“Clean... ✓ Comfortable Beds... ✓ Good water pressure in Shower... (half check)”

Aloft Tucson University
Ranked #60 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Quick jaunt to UA campus for a college tour. Very close to university and fast food options.

There are 3 things that I need in a hotel:
They must be clean. Aloft room was clean, sleek and simple!
They must have comfortable beds. I slept great!
They must have good water pressure in the shower. Our room fell a little short with this, but I've had worse!

I'm probably a little older than the demographic they are going for, but my 18 yr old son was quite comfortable with the purple lights in the elevator, pool table in the lobby and overall modern atmosphere. It felt very euro/ikea meets Four Points.

We were there for a very short time (10 hours total) so I can't tell about the amenities although they looked comparable to the rest of the hotel (not high end but modern and functional).

As a new SPG gold member, I expected that I would have the late checkout extended to me automatically. The front desk person was very polite but told me I had to call down in the morning. Not wanting to deal with it and knowing we'd be short on time anyway, I didn't. Not a big deal this time, but it might be an issue in the future.

Little things like the alarm clock (although cool looking) did not function correctly and it looked like someone had thrown pencils into the ceiling (I couldn't tell if it was supposed to look that way or if it needed repair). I am able to overlook these things... it would probably bother some people.

Overall, I would stay here again for a short trip and would recommend it to friends.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

When I travel to a small city, I like to feel the ambiance of the city around the hotel that I choose. This hotel is on a busy intersection that feels like a strip mall spot - anywhere USA. Suggestion: as their is quite a lot of parking for the hotel outside and underground, why not take the space in front of the hotel, eliminate the parking and put some Arizona vegetation there instead of the blacktop and line of cars. Same thing for the pool area- not a bit of plant life and just a big white wall surrounding it- The outdoor seating space is much nicer adjacent to the pool.
The entire stay had this pull of nice touch vs. what were they thinking. Part of the lobby feels like a 7-11 Store- the bar area is relaxed and pleasant to sit in. Food is very average bar snack quality.
Rooms had comfortable beds and flat screens with extremely slow wifi. Lighting was a problem- woke up early to take a shower and did not want to disturb my husband- took five minutes to figure out how to find/turn on the bathroom light. This was our first Aloft stay so I'm not sure if this is typical but I would look to stay elsewhere before choosing them again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katshorr
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for a quick tour of UofA. Must say Starwood has succeeded with this hip and modern take on a Motel 6. Super friendly staff. Room decor is W light. Bar area very trendy but comfortable. They have a mine 7-11 type spot in lobby called "REFUEL". It's the spot for a quickie breakfast, with very adequate food for the price. They also have a fantastic selection of munchies. The 2 tips I would suggest is get a room not facing the street. The night I stayed cars and motorcycles were racing up and down Speedway (yes, that's the street's name) rattling my window panes throughout the night. The other tip is definitely use your DO NOT DISTURB sign otherwise at precisely 8am the overzealous housekeepers will be tap tap tapping on your doors. They reminded me of my alarm snooze button because after informing them we were still in the room, they returned every 12 minutes with more tapping.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

What more do you want? There is no restaurant here, but there is a bar. It is right next door to the University, it is VERY clean, there is a basic workout room, and the beds are comfortable. It is decorated in a very colorful manner, and the elevators feel like a club. There's even a pool table! A great value!
The only potential downside is the number of young children running around in the mornings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and our convenient location and accommodating hotel features served you well. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Take care!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Great hotel! Friendly staff and it's in close proximity to the university.
The room was great, quiet and comfortable. Bathroom was fantastic! Bilss products were great and it was nice to have a great place to relax and also be close to everything in Tucson.

The pillows were the only negative, not that HUGE of an issue, but they could have been better.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tlcc
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and our accommodations and amenities fit your needs well. We are dedicated to providing each of our guests with an exceptional stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Cheers and GO CATS!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Aloft is a W-hotel concept. The room layout is efficient and peaceful, and a great value. (We paid $35 for one night, one room with two queen beds. The $35 rate was due to participation in a rewards program, but the regular rate was very competitive.)

Likes: Bathroom is designed for two people to use at the same time. Toilet and shower (no tub) separated by a sliding door. Sink is a raised basin, providing plenty of counter top for toiletries. Really like the shelving compartments in the sink/closet area which offer ample, dry storage space. Also like the long desk area...again providing plenty of space, particularly when sharing the room. Room was clean. Linens were comfortable, as were the beds. Enough outlets to keep three phones and two laptops happy and charged.

Keep in mind: Aloft is spare, but not Spartan. The toiletries are Bliss products (nice), but if you need a staple item other than soap, shampoo, and hand-lotion, you'll need to ask the front desk. [They do provide a hairdryer and iron in the room, as well as a coffee maker.]

The Tucson Aloft has a decent work-out facility on the ground floor as well as a communal pool table and common room. It is also easy walking distance to pretty good eateries, shopping, and
of course the university.

Since we're low-maintenance travelers, Aloft was perfect for us with its focus on nicely designed efficiency which delivers a good travel experience at modest cost.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor facing the back of the hotel. Rooms seemed decently insulated (for noise s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TrademarkTraveler
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Love this hotel! The king room was laid out great for living out of your suitcase. The bathroom was nice - huge shower. The bed was super comfortable and the temperature in the room was able to manipulated nicely - no airplane-like noises turning on and off.
The lobby was perfect for our family - pool table, and "hanging out" area for kids and adults near but not in the bar. Nice breakfast option too.
Great value!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are pleased to hear our hotel fit the needs of you and your family and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide superior customer service and quality stays to all our guests. We look forward to the next opportunity we have to welcome you back.