“Good location, better than most chains” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Tucson University

Aloft Tucson University
Ranked #57 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Good location, better than most chains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We spent two nights at the Aloft. We took the advice of several other travelers and asked for a room on the parking lot side. It was better to view the trash dumpsters than hear the street noise. We were on the second floor away from the pool. The hotel was fairly empty and we requested a higher room but were told that there were none available. We suspect that they were doing this for the consolidating the housekeeping services. The room and bath area were large and very clean.
We also brought pillows based on others advice and suggest that if you like a flat pillow, to do the same. There are several places to eat just around the corner and we used them for our breakfasts.
The hotel has been totally renovated in the last year or so and seems European in style.
I can see that during a busy time, that noise might be a problem but we had no trouble. The residential area around the hotel is historic and worth walking around in.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms facing Speedway Blvd.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This Hotel is very well located near the University. I really like the green choice with the $5 reimbursement, however the ladies at the desk did not explain it well and we did not know how to do it till the next day, so we lost the opportunity to contribute to this program. I did not like the huge bowls in the bathroom, they splash water everywhere and they are not practical. Breakfast is terrible, you have to pay and the quality is not so good. Be aware of the scam with the taxis. They claim they have a good rate from the Hotel to the airport (which is $32) but we only paid $25 on the way in, so call yourself the taxi driver and make sure they don't overcharge you. Rooms are very noisy, specially the ones facing the Speedway Rd.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room that faces Speedway, it is very noisy!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Not the reception that one hopes for when hosting friends and business acquaintances. The hotel had no manager with whom to discuss the situation, just students running the place. No manager at checkout, 8:15 am on Monday, either! Staff had little training and no idea of what "Hospitality" means. Booked 2 rooms for 2 nights and the reservation as well as check-in was messed up.(I had telephoned in January to verify that our reservations were as emailed to the hotel and was assured that things were fine. This was a prepaid, non-refundable rate.)
First question asked from reception was "When are you leaving ?" No smiles, no greeting, no welcome. Rooms were not ready although it was 45 minutes past check-in time of 3:00pm. No explanation of the services available, when reservation was finally straightened out. We went to our rooms only to discover the electronic keys didn't work. No apologies, only blame to us for having "changed our minds so much". Room decor dark and gloomy. Minimalist to the point of ridiculousness. One small gooseneck lamp on desk was only light from which to read. Recessed lighting was ambient lighting, nothing you could read by or even locate the plugs for electronics. No safety bars in walk-in glass walled shower area (no tub). Only plus: complimentary bottled water.

Room Tip: No encouragement for you to stay here. It's convenient for University business or game.Staff is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Checkers2
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tucson University, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We appreciate your feedback thank you for sharing. Your comments have been shared with our team and the appropriate action has been taken to ensure an experience such as the one you described is not experienced in the future. We are always looking for new ways to create the best experience possible for our guests and we hope you will give us another try in the future so that we can provide you with the superior experience and service Aloft Tucson University strives to achieve.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I had some flowers and some bears delivered to the hotel for my girlfriend and children. Ashley did a great job having them delivered to the room and fielding my many calls. The florist did not deliver a part of the order and she was instrumental in having them there the next day. Thank you very much

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Quick jaunt to UA campus for a college tour. Very close to university and fast food options.

There are 3 things that I need in a hotel:
They must be clean. Aloft room was clean, sleek and simple!
They must have comfortable beds. I slept great!
They must have good water pressure in the shower. Our room fell a little short with this, but I've had worse!

I'm probably a little older than the demographic they are going for, but my 18 yr old son was quite comfortable with the purple lights in the elevator, pool table in the lobby and overall modern atmosphere. It felt very euro/ikea meets Four Points.

We were there for a very short time (10 hours total) so I can't tell about the amenities although they looked comparable to the rest of the hotel (not high end but modern and functional).

As a new SPG gold member, I expected that I would have the late checkout extended to me automatically. The front desk person was very polite but told me I had to call down in the morning. Not wanting to deal with it and knowing we'd be short on time anyway, I didn't. Not a big deal this time, but it might be an issue in the future.

Little things like the alarm clock (although cool looking) did not function correctly and it looked like someone had thrown pencils into the ceiling (I couldn't tell if it was supposed to look that way or if it needed repair). I am able to overlook these things... it would probably bother some people.

Overall, I would stay here again for a short trip and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
new york city
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

When I travel to a small city, I like to feel the ambiance of the city around the hotel that I choose. This hotel is on a busy intersection that feels like a strip mall spot - anywhere USA. Suggestion: as their is quite a lot of parking for the hotel outside and underground, why not take the space in front of the hotel, eliminate the parking and put some Arizona vegetation there instead of the blacktop and line of cars. Same thing for the pool area- not a bit of plant life and just a big white wall surrounding it- The outdoor seating space is much nicer adjacent to the pool.
The entire stay had this pull of nice touch vs. what were they thinking. Part of the lobby feels like a 7-11 Store- the bar area is relaxed and pleasant to sit in. Food is very average bar snack quality.
Rooms had comfortable beds and flat screens with extremely slow wifi. Lighting was a problem- woke up early to take a shower and did not want to disturb my husband- took five minutes to figure out how to find/turn on the bathroom light. This was our first Aloft stay so I'm not sure if this is typical but I would look to stay elsewhere before choosing them again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katshorr
Calabasas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here for a quick tour of UofA. Must say Starwood has succeeded with this hip and modern take on a Motel 6. Super friendly staff. Room decor is W light. Bar area very trendy but comfortable. They have a mine 7-11 type spot in lobby called "REFUEL". It's the spot for a quickie breakfast, with very adequate food for the price. They also have a fantastic selection of munchies. The 2 tips I would suggest is get a room not facing the street. The night I stayed cars and motorcycles were racing up and down Speedway (yes, that's the street's name) rattling my window panes throughout the night. The other tip is definitely use your DO NOT DISTURB sign otherwise at precisely 8am the overzealous housekeepers will be tap tap tapping on your doors. They reminded me of my alarm snooze button because after informing them we were still in the room, they returned every 12 minutes with more tapping.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family