“Lazy8 Lazy staff”

Ranked #113 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
North Conway, New Hampshire
“Lazy8 Lazy staff”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We were in Tucson on business for one week. My fiance had stayed here previously however the owners were new. We were given only two towels...had no hot water...our tv did not work and we did not have a blanket. They have an AAA sign up there is NO way this is current.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank kimdowns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed for 5 days here during the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. I needed a kitchenette due to food allergies. I absolutely loved the room, it was more of an apartment. It even had a dining room with a table for 6. The carpet was a little old and dirty, the kitchen had new tile and was spotless and the rest of the rooms were fairly clean. It is an older hotel so does have some issues associated with age. For the price during the busiest season it was a total bargain. The tv reception is terrible and the traffic is very close and loud but your room opens up to a courtyard with a pool, not a parking lot. The staff is fabulous! Maria is an absolute doll. She and her family run this place like it is their own home and make you feel like you are a part of the family. I will stay every year for the Mineral show. Thanks for a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first, some are worse than others.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Neu-Isenburg, Germany
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We stayed at the Lazy8 motel in Tucson for 4 nights in May 2009 to kick off a Southwest USA sightseeing tour. We live in Germany and planned the trip ahead of time on the internet and found this motel on Google. One on of the main criteria for us was to get a budget motel that's clean and has free breakfast and internet access. We were greeted friendly after a late arrival from Germany. The room was on the ground floor with direct parking in front of it. We had a clean king size bed, the carpets were clean, the furniture practical and in good condition, the bathroom was big and very clean. Our room had a large size LCD TV screen mounted to the wall with full cable access. There was a phone with free local calls, a good sized refrigerator and of course free WIFI internet access that worked flawlessly. The breakfast was sufficient with a choice of home made Mexican burritos, toast, donuts, jelly, cereal, milk and coffee. It had everything we would normally eat for breakfast at home. For a little less than 50$ a night you get a great, clean place to sleep and start the day off right. We even used the pool one afternoon and the pool facility was clean and in good order. We would stay here again any time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ForsthausWire
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I have stayed at the Lazy 8 at least once a year for many years. In the past I would have always agreed with their slogan, Tucson’s Cleanest Budget Motel. However, I now find slogan to be somewhat less that completely accurate.

The grounds are littered with paper debris and cigarette butts, the paint was peeling in the bathroom, the carpet was tattered and there was only one electrical outlet in the entire room. While the place is not actually dirty, It’s just not up to par with past years.

I might return, but would also look at other lodging options prior to booking a stay at his past trusted hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank gnomeguy
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 January 2009

The Lazy 8 advertises as "Tucson's Cleanest Budget Motel." The trouble is, cleanliness will not make up for the fact that the motel needs plenty of maintenance to improve the comfort of guests. Here are some of the problems we encountered:

1. The sweep at the bottom of the door was missing, which must be very drafty in colder weather and let in a lot of noise. We're talking non-stop traffic from the access road and I-10 plus the occasional horn from nearby freight trains.

2. One of the two wall lamps by the bed was missing the bolt at the bottom, so the post and lyre holding the shade wobbled around; the bulb could have melted the shade if we hadn't noticed and kept it off. Also, the lamps were both on the same side of the bed, so someone on the other side had no lamp to read with.

3. The hanging lamp over the table had 2 of 5 bulbs burned out.

4. The bed appeared to be a non-standard size slightly smaller than a queen. As a result, the bottom sheet could not be tucked in enough to secure it and it came loose during the night.

5. The headboard is held to the wall by two brackets that insert into grooves in the board. Apparently, the maid knocked it off the wall while making up the bed and was unable to get it back up again by herself, so she left it tucked between the bed and the wall.

6. The water pressure was variable and just about non-existent when I tried to take a shower one of the two mornings we were there.

7. The shower curtain rod sagged, which caused the ends of the curtain to slide toward the middle, making it hard to take a shower without water leaking on the floor.

8. The toilet paper holder was loose on the wall, and the spindle was missing.

9. The phone book was nearly two years old, a minor inconvenience, but one that can be rectified by the management for free by calling the local phone company.

We enjoy finding good budget accommodations and were rooting for this one to be as good a value as others we have encountered over the years (such as the Monterey Non-Smokers Motel in Albuquerque, a favorite)-- but there's only so much we are willing to put up with in the name of saving a buck and supporting independent business people. I suppose we could have asked for another room, but we felt that the switch would probably mean a whole host of new problems.

We won't be back.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MitchHellman
Brisbane
Reviewed 7 December 2008

The Lazy 8 is an older motel in need of some maintenance but is clean and comfortable. It is a little difficult to find, access being from a freeway exit. Their website has instructions to help find the entrance. It is quiet despite being near the freeway - the rooms are located well away from the road. Staff were particularly helpful and friendly. Breakfast is very good too. Wifi is provided but has limited range. I could only get it to work when my laptop was near the wooden door or near the window. You can take your PC to the reception area and use it there if you wish.

It represents very good value. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Liked — Friendly staff, breakfast, value
  • Disliked — needs some maintenance.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank KEMerk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I was touring the National Park Service's desert parks and monuments in southern Arizona, and planned to be in Tucson for four days. After reading reviews here of the Lazy 8 Motel in Tucson, I was a little tentative, so I booked a room with kitchenette for one night to check it out. It turned out to be better for my needs than I'd hoped, so I stayed all four days there. It is AAA approved and has AAA and AARP/Senior Discounts.
More than anything, it reminded me of many small hotels in Mexico, and, like many small Mexican hotels, it is laid out around a common courtyard with a small pool. From the start, the staff made me feel almost like one of the family (albeit distant cousin, maybe) right from the start. Everyone was friendly, open, warm, and as helpful as can be. The building itself is worth noting, not so much for its aesthetics but for the solidness of its construction. Unlike many budget motels where you can hear your neighbor's every word, the Lazy 8 Motel is a surprisingly solid structure. In four days, I didn't hear a sound from neighbors.
My accommodations included a large bedroom, bath, separate closet, and separate kitchenette. The solidness of construction is repeated in the sturdiness of its furnishings. The bedroom had a king bed, a vanity area with large mirror and chair, a circular work table with two chairs, TV, and a solid chest of drawers. The separate kitchenette has a solid wood table and two chairs, counters and cabinets, full range, sink, fridge and microwave, plus minimal utensils and dishes for two. The lighting was surprising good. Many budget places have few lights and low wattage bulbs. I could do a crossword puzzle and sort pictures on my laptop in the kitchen or bedroom, and read in bed. Nice. Another nice touch is that my accommodations had adequate spare electric plugs, so I could recharge camera batteries, cell phone, and plug in my laptop without having to unplug something else. I don't know if it was the cleanest motel in Tucson, but it was clean. The machines in the on-site guest laundry worked just fine.
The Continental breakfast, as another reviewer put it, was adequate -- dry cereal, bagel/bread/toast, sweet rolls, bananas, coffee, milk and orange juice.
My one complaint is that the free WiFi Internet only extends to the lobby and adjacent patio. That meant that to check email, read the daily papers, and the like, I had to take my laptop over to the lobby. That's a real bummer. On the up side, the new owner just installed the WiFi on a trial basis, and I expect after a more comments, he will extended it to the motel complex.

• Liked — clean quiet complete accommodations and helpful friendly staff
  • Disliked — limited area wifi
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo