“Dirty, Smelly...we left” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #80 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Mesa, AZ
“Dirty, Smelly...we left”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

We checked into the Arizona Riverpark Inn today around 4pm. We checked out around 5:15. When we entered the room, it had a gross, musty smell. We turned on the air conditioner hoping that would help the smell. All that did was make an obscene amount of noise.

One of the main reasons we were tempted to buy this groupon was the heated pool and jacuzzi, so we changed into our swimsuits and headed outside. We found the pool to be dirty and full of dead bugs. The jacuzzi was slightly cleaner but there was a large colony of ants around the edge so you could not even lean back and get comfortable. After just a little while, we headed back to the room.

We decided to take showers to rinse off the chlorine. I was horrified to discover when we got out of the shower that all of the bathroom towels had some degree of stains on them. It was revolting!

We got dressed and sat on the rock hard bed while deciding what to do. The room still smelled awful and the air conditioner was still making a horrendous racket. While we were deciding, we listened to our neighbors flush the toilet and start up the shower. We decided at that point to check out. We returned the bottle of cheap screw top wine that came with our Groupon and left.

This was supposed to be a romantic getaway for our first anniversary. We drove 2 hours to get there and spent less than an hour and a half there before fleeing. We much preferred driving another 2 hours tonight to be able to sleep in our own bed than to stay there.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, but the hotel just did not live up to the description and pictures on the Groupon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BDC_Mesa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Maricopa, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

The pictures looked nicer than the hotel actually was. At first I was disappointed but the rooms were clean, the breakfast was fine and the staff was very friendly. I would stay again if in the area. Good for the price.

Room Tip: It doesn't look like a very good area for walking but it is fine to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Groupon had a special and the description of deluxe guest rooms sounded good. Very disappointed. The heater in our room did not work properly, chair was ripped, bedspread dirty and over all run down appearance. For four of us, I believe there was one shampoo, one soap. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but that does not make up for the poor condition of the rooms. I would not use deluxe to describe the accomodations.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank newgrannie
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

I was here for 33 days for the Gem show. It had to have been a huge load for the staff and I think they performed very well. Their breakfasts are very good. They sometimes sell out so call for a reservation.

Room Tip: Call for an reservation because they are sometimes sold out.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidMStoner
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

Figured I was in trouble when a semi with a crane attached started working outside my room at 8:30 pm when I called the front dest they claimed to know nothing about it and did nothing to stop the construction that continued wel into the night.

Rooms are dingy and old with torn and dirty furnature paper thin walls that you can hear everything going on outside your room and every door slamming down the hall

If this is the last room in Tucson stay in your car or sleep on a park bench it will be quieter and you will have a better nights rest than staying here.

Room Tip: Call the Mariott that's where we are moving to tomorrow
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike M
Santa Clara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here three nights at the end off Nov 2012 and on the third morning of my stay I found a bedbug crawling in my bed!!! Yuck. I caught the bug and reported it to the hotel. They didn't seem terribly concerned. This place is pretty old and run down and I would say moderately clean, so I am not terribly surprised, but I have never encountered bed bugs before so I was thoroughly disgusted. I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jill W, General Manager at Arizona Riverpark Inn, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
I am very sorry you felt that the staff did not seem terribly concerned of your situation that is not at all how we intended you to feel. When you called the Front Desk, he immediately called our Housekeeping Manager who went to your room to inspect and he also called me, even though I was not on the property. You stated that you were here 3 nights and you found them on the morning you were checking out and that you had not obviously seen anything prior to that. You asked if we would wash all of your clothes and put them into clean plastic bags which my staff did for you. Unfortunately these bugs are brought into hotels by other guests and we are not allowed to inspect everyone’s luggage prior to check in. Housekeeping does inspect our rooms as they clean them. There were many rooms rented with your group with no other complaints. Some of the finest hotels and resorts have this same problem. I am sorry that you experienced this during your stay with us and want you to know that this is something we take very seriously and have taken the proper steps to correct it.
Escondido, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

First of all,when we checked in,they gave us a king room but on the second level. We had reserved a downstairs courtyard room but they said they were out of those courtyard rooms. After we had made a reservation months in advance! They could have honored our reservation and give us the room we wanted. And they charged us the same rate but we had found out that the second level rooms were cheaper. But it was too late to find another hotel. So we stayed there. The pros of the room: the bed was comfortable,the tv was okay,the internet was fine.
The cons: the faucet handles were very difficult to move from hot to cold and in between.
the shower head could have been better.Ever heard of shower massage by
Waterpik?? It wouldnt hurt to spend more money on shower heads.
I tried to use the heater function in the room from the wall unit.
As soon as i turned it on,it smelled terrible!! So i turned it off right away!!
Either service the heater function or install brand new wall units.
Those would be some suggestions for this hotel.
The breakfast was okay.Could have used more variety in their selection of
items. Other than my suggestions,the stay was pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple