“Great breakfast, good birding, wonderful hosts”

Bed and Bagels of Tucson
Ranked #23 of 48 Tucson B&B and Inns
Columbia, Maryland
“Great breakfast, good birding, wonderful hosts”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I felt very well looked-after at Bed and Bagels. Sharon is a wonderful host and her assistant Pete was on hand to help and answer questions when Sharon was out. Sharon's breakfasts were delicious, made fresh in her kitchen and augmented by delectables from a specialty grocery store. She gave me excellent tips on where to spend time bird watching and invited me on a nature walk that she led at Sabino Canyon - a wonderful addition to my short vacation. My room was very comfortable and although I had a shared hallway bathroom, there were no issues with traffic from other guests. It was great to stay in a place with a darling resident dog and friendly cat and I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys animals, great conversation, delicious food, and a comfortable atmosphere!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ginny W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pelham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Staying at Bread and Bagels is like staying at someone's house who gives you very good advice about what to do in the area and cooks you a filling and delicious breakfast. To be comfortable (which we were) you must like animals, you must appreciate a casual atmosphere and you must be comfortable sharing a bathroom with another room (or get the one room with its own bathroom). We were there mostly for outdoors activities, especially birding and hiking. Sharon was very knowledgeable and forthcoming about what to prioritize and how to take the most advantage of what we were interested in in the amount of time we had. Her cohort Pete was also very helpful and friendly. Sharon is great at the extra little touches (see other reviews for examples) In our case, we deeply appreciated the fact that she got up early our last day when we had to leave for the airport by 6:30 a.m., made us coffee and smoothies and packed us a breakfast to take on the plane. Things like that make all the difference!

P.S. If you are gay or lesbian and wondering about friendliness in AZ, this is a comfortable and welcoming place. Sharon, Pete and the other (straight) couples staying there were all pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sallyxvxvxvx
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I recently drove from California to Texas with my Lab and my kitty. I was well cared for and my animals were completely at home which was such a treat for me. Sharon made a great breakfast to send me on my way and she could not have been more accommodating. Her home was farther from the freeway than I expected, but the distance mattered very little once I arrived. She has a jacuzzi--which I thoroughly enjoyed and I slept like a baby. I recommend her abode enthusiastically!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Susan M
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We traveled from California to Tucson to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with friends. We chose Bed and Bagels on a whim for our lodging for the long weekend, intrigued by the name of the place. The experience was relaxing and homey, it almost felt like we were staying with my aunt. Sharon welcomed us into her beautiful home and we were immediately greeted by Levi the most lovable pup. We spent time in the spacious living room chatting with the other guests and hanging out with the house cats. Sharen showed us to our large room (the King room) and started up the hot tub for us in the breathtaking secluded patio which we could access directly from the room. After a long drive, it was a mechaya (rejuvenating!).

Breakfasts were were unique multi-course affairs, and were both delicious and filling -- nobody leaves Sharon's table hungry. It was charming that our hostess sat down with us after everyone was served and shared her extensive local knowledge during the meals. It being Thanksgiving, we typically weren't want for food, but there was a large cache of delicious snacks, teas, etc. available for us to choose from. Since it was Hanukkah during our stay, we also had the pleasure to share the celebration with Sharon. All together - a relaxing, familiar experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron P
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Bed & Bagels was a great place for a father-son trip to Tucson. It really felt much more like we were staying with an old friend of the family than in a hotel. The room was comfy, the pool and hot tub a delight, and the breakfasts delicious. Sharon is a great host, and her dog and cat were good fun to have around. My only regret is that I did not bring my dog because of the airplane travel - she would have loved it at Bed & Bagels!.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HaraldFB
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I found Sharon's place following a search for bed and breakfasts where we could bring our 2 80 lb dogs for one night. What great luck! I told Sharon we were looking for somewhere to go for a birthday evening, and she made sure there was a cake ready when we got there. Sharon also joined us with conversation and planning the day at our lovely breakfast in the morning. :) What were the chances there would be a government shut-down with closure of hiking destinations at the time?! I love hiking, lived in Tucson for 9 years, and had never been to a neat location Sharon recommended. She led us to the trail and even went with us on the little hike with her dog! We also had time to ourselves, of course, and Sharon had prepared lists of activities to take part in and restaurants to try. There was plenty of space for the dogs, and we were not worried about going to dinner and leaving them at the house. We also enjoyed the refreshments available, and relaxation in the hot tub at night was wonderful. It was a fun trip, and we'll be back!

Room Tip: Location is not close to airport or other transportation. Would definitely need your own vehicle.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My son and I were welcome guests in Sharon's home, where the accommodations were top-notch, the breakfasts were superb and Sharon seemed to know about every exhibit or park or event in southern Arizona. Tucson is a great place to visit no matter where you stay, but Sharon's knowledge of the area made our visit much better than it would have been without her input.

Sharon's hot tub and large swimming pool were just the thing after a day's sightseeing. Not to mention Levi, her very affectionate terrier, and Taco, her sweet cat who has no fear of strangers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family