“Best Italian food in Tucson, Arizona.”

Caruso's Restaurant
Ranked #120 of 2,069 Restaurants in Tucson
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Groups, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Caruso's is a favorite place of mine to celebrate Birthday dinners and other special occasions. The chicken parmigiana is delicious as are the stuffed pasta shells. The chicken parmigiana is covered with a red sauce and baked with a variety of cheeses and a light topping of mushrooms. Most dinners come with an antipasto salad with a delicious Italian dressing. If you get salad request extra dressing on the side as it is that good. The only negative I have for this restaurant is that they do not serve Coke products, but RC products. I hate RC so I order lemon water instead of a diet coke. Please start carrying Coke products.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I had the spaghetti with red sause and all I had was water down sauce. And my wife did not get the food she wanted 2 times in a row.

1  Thank killjoy9896
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Italian food is one of my favorites and so are family restaurants!! So Caruso's should fit the bill...but sadly the quality of food here is "poor". Our visiting friend from London (who is of Italian descent) was quite surprised that the quality was so bad - yet the restaurant has survived for such a long time. It only goes to prove that if people like a place, the food quality is only the secondary reason for being there.

Caruso's location couldn't be better, being on 4th. Avenue (near 6th. Street) - and the restaurant has a wonderful outdoor dinning area. Our server for the night was a friendly young fellow who not only spoke Italian but Russian too! He certainly helped make the evening much more pleasant.

Our order for the evening was a bottle of Trebbiano and Antipasto for 3 to share. Individually, we ordered a Caruso Special with Ravioli + Meat Sauce & Sausage, a Spinach Canneloni wz Pasta Fagioli and a Shrimp & Scallop Alfredo. Nothing was horribly bad but just simply dull.

Now, we'll hurry back if only the kitchen can turn out some Tasty Good Old Fashion Family Italian Meals!! As of now, we might drop in if we're in the neighbourhood and all other restaurants are full.

1  Thank mjt520
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This restaurant opened in Tucson even before my ancient brother started school here at UofA in the 1960s. It is still one of his favorite local places so he took me and other friends there for dinner. Wait staff was prompt with seating and drink orders. Our wine and appetizer came out promptly and was tasty and well prepared, particularly the Italian sauce served with it. Garlic bread was hot, good texture but not memorable in terms of taste.

Our entrees came out as ordered. All of the group of five at the table, except me, found their meals to be good to very good. I ordered the Shrimp and Clam Adriatic over linguine with white sauce thinking that it would consist of sauteed fresh clams, shrimp, mushrooms and garlic. It did have these ingredients but the clams and mushrooms were canned and the sauce was rather bland. Overall it was a dish that looked a lot better than it tasted. It was a disappointment, compared to the real deal that I had made at home many times and had been served at other Italian restaurants. I left one third of this dish untouched but made up for it by ordering a nice glass of Sandeman port for dessert.

I would have given this two out of five rating but given that others at the table seemed to enjoy their meals, I upped it a notch.

1  Thank Richard W
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had a very nice meal outside on the patio. The chicken parm was very tasty thanks to the excellent marinara sauce...very rich tomato flavor with small chunks of tomato adding a nice texture...a smooth, well-seasoned sauce. Food was piping hot...definitely did not sit under a warming lamp! Service a touch slow, but friendly and courteous. Great place for families. Park on 3rd Ave. and walk a block to the restaurant...save the headache of finding a spot on 4th Ave.

Been to Caruso's Restaurant? Share your experiences!