“Authentic Mexican style frijoles!”
Review of Macayo Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

Macayo Mexican Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located at N. Oracle & Ina Rd, we're one of the Macayo's family owned and locally operated restaurants. We celebrate Happy Hour Mon-Fri from 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm with $3 off appetizers and $3 drink specials. When You're Hungry for Tradition! Hours: Mon-Fri 11:00am - 10:00pm
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Late night choices in restaurants are sometimes not very good but on this occasion Macayo’s was just what we wanted. Probably very busy during the day, at 10pm the place is quiet and probably waiting for the last patron to leave so that they can go home. We sat in a booth at the bar (a good location when a restaurant is slow because there is always wait staff handy) and ordered Pescado Tacos with a Baja Avocado side. Of course there was also the chips and salsa, delivered to our table almost as we sat down.
These fish tacos were probably some of the best I have ever had and the beans that came with the order were definitely on the top 3 short list. I didn’t ask but am sure the beans were cooked with a generous portion of lard. Not necessarily the best thing for you but absolutely a requirement for authentic Mexican style frijoles!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The salmon is a new item on the menu and it was fantastic! Perfectly cooked and the cheesy mashed potatoes were delicious! The Margaritas were pretty good too. My husband had the chili rellenos, which he often orders at Mexican restaurants. He said they were better than most.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I ordered a beef tostada suiza. Hmmmm. not quite what I got.... Somehow they forgot to put the beef on the tostada..... The salsa is out of can..... The rice was bland and had no taste and I ordered sour cream and by golly it came well after I wanted it. Folks I figured this close to the border of Mexico I'd get real authentic Mexican Food but by golly what I got was straight up yuck. I live in Chicago and have had far far better Mexican food here. This place was really a let down for me..... Don't waste your money here......Oh and yes they didn't charge me for their mess up and I didn't eat it but all I could think was, " Where's the beef?" A big big let down...

Reviewed 15 January 2014

This place drives me crazy. Ok it's close to our home so we want it to succeed, badly. We have been there when it was great, food service, atmosphere and we have been there swearing to never come back. I contacted the district manager about a year in an effort to "help" me with feedback and frankly I must not have been the only one, because the changes were dramatically better and life was good again. But on our recent visit it was back to the same old issues, waitresses (4) of them standing around talking, texting, laughing, and we couldn't get a drink at our booth...sigh.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

In December and January, Macayo is running a $10.99 special. Choose tortilla soup or a house salad, 1 of 4 entries, and either chocolate mini-chimis w/ice cream & whipped cream or fried ice cream. We each had the tortilla soup, my wife had the chicken burro (huge, stuffed with beans & rice) and I had the pork chimi with beans and rice on the side. We each had the chocolate chimis for dessert. Great food at a great price. Go at happy hour to get the drink specials as well (ex: bottled beer for $3).