“Wonderful respite”

Ranked #2 of 48 Tucson B&B and Inns
Alameda, CA
“Wonderful respite”
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Once or twice a year, I visit the Azure Gate to rest and recharge. Christine and Dennis are the perfect stewards of this magical oasis, which is home to myriad birds and wildlife, and resplendent with desert flora. Whether you're lounging in your room (or one of the two guest houses), enjoying a scrumptious breakfast on the patio or strolling about the grounds, there's always something beautiful to catch your eye. Nearby you'll find Sabino Canyon, Saguaro National Park, Mt. Lemmon, and more ... and Dennis and Christine are always glad to share their recommendations for hiking, dining, shopping, and other local interests. It's close to Tucson proper, U of A and the Centro, but far enough from the bustle to feel like a real respite. Because I always find it hard to leave, I reserve my next stay when I check out! Truly a little bit of heaven on earth.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank So_where2next

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 14 November 2009

November 13, 2009

Ah, the Azure Gate. My husband and I happily stayed there recently for nine days. The delightful innkeepers, Dennis and Christine, were welcoming, knowledgeable and thoughtfully helpful. We We stayed in the Sabino and Saguaro rooms, each lovely in its own way. The rooms and beds were so comfortable and beautifully appointed. The Inn does not impose on the desert; it's part of it in its appealing architecture and harmony with the surrounding plant and animal life.
Every morning we were treated to such exquisitely presented, delicious breakfasts that the guests all took photographs so we could "have our cake and eat it too". Some mornings or early evenings we would sit by the clean blue patio pool and read or watch the extraordinary "bird show", snacking on ripe guavas right off the trees. With the Azure Gate as our home base we made forays into Tucson for art, gardens, museums, mariachis, and the spring training baseball games. We were close to the desert national park and the mountains for hiking, close to the stars, the fragrant, pure desert mornings, and away from city traffic noise.
We enjoyed our stay there immensely and will return at the first opportunity. We arrived tired and depleted and were restored by our stay; I have no higher praise for a bed and breakfast experience.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 November 2009

We have stayed in various B&B's in Tucson and this is our favorite. (We only stay in others only when this one is booked!). We love the casita - you have spectacular sunrise views of the Catalina Mtns in the morning. The breakfasts are delicious and Dennis is a terrific host (and great photographer). The property is lovely and well cared for. The location is ideal to drive up Mt. Lemmon and to hike, which we enjoy doing. It is an easy ride to Saguaro Monument East for hiking also.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Anchorage
Reviewed 13 November 2009

My husband & I had the pleasure of staying in the Catalina Guest House for a week and we loved everything about it - the decor was lovely, the kitchen well-appointed and the bed very comfortable. My favorite part was the patio with the view into the desert with the mountains beyond. I sat there every morning with my cup of tea and spy glasses bird watching and enjoying the morning sunlight. And then, of course, there are Denise's famous breakfasts! Words like amazing, wonderful, inventive and sumptuous don't even come close - you have to taste them for yourself! Although we'd done some research ahead of time about places to hike, Denise & Christine were able to help us find just the right places, beautiful and a bit challenging but not too taxing - we were after all on vacation. I have already recommend the Azure Gate to everyone I know and I hope this review helps others decide to stay there too.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
raleigh, nc
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I have stayed at the Azure Gate several times for business, always in February.
I love it!
Very relaxed and quiet.
The location is out in the desert and just walking around the grounds is a treat.
Dennis and Christine are a delight. Dennis is a top rate chef with his amazing breakfasts. I have always been amazed by them. Christine is a kind and gentle woman with many an interesting story.
The house is wonderful with saltillo tile floors and guests pretty much have a run of the house.
don't hesitate to stay
donna

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank donnaraleigh
FOSTER
Reviewed 13 November 2009

You remember serendipity? And how wonderful it can be? My wife and I (colleagues and marriage partners) planned a return stay at another B&B in Tucson, our favorite U.S. city. We try to get there at least once a year to hike and enjoy the restaurants and soak up the general strangeness of a laid-back city in the midst of cactus forests. But the B&B we wanted was full! Drat!! They recommended the Azure Gate as an alternative; wearily, we agreed to what we assumed would be second best. WRONG! We arrived at the Azure Gate late at night, couldn't really tell too much, stumbled our way to our room ... and woke up next day to the best B&B experience we've ever had. Dennis is a SUPERB gourmet chef. He uses quality local ingredients to serve fascinating breakfasts that change day to day. I wrote a food column for a magazine for several years; I am definitely into food. The imagination, the presentation, the solid yumminess -- admirable, delightful, lots of fun. This B&B has a birder inclination. Dennis is an accomplished wildlife photographer (his wife, Christine, is the published author of several children's books). There is the occasional wildcat paw print in the sand passing the house, and swarms of birds coming to the B&B feeders beside the pool area. The rooms are interesting: well appointed, comfortable in a southwestern style. On our first stay, we toured all the other rooms so we choose exactly what we liked next time (and we knew there would be a next time after this first breakfast). We like the bigger, two-story room next to the dining room patio or the separate house. Because we like to hike, the B&B's location at the foot of the Catalina range is terrifically convenient. We jump in the car and five minutes later are entering wild parkland with a lot of options.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Tom A
Tennessee
Reviewed 13 November 2009

There is a good reason The Azure Gate is booked 12 months in advance. And their names are Dennis and Christine. Dennis and Christine have made this quaint little B&B in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains truly memorable.

My wife and I have been staying at the AG for the past 4 years and each year I look forward to turning onto East Morrill Way because I know for the next 4 days I am going to be relaxed and well fed.

We love The Azure Gate because it is close enough to downtown to catch a movie, but far enough out to still see the stars at night (there are tons). The rooms are perfectly appointed with local artifacts and the grounds are tucked into the landscape so you feel comply secluded from the world.

And then there are the breakfasts! Oh my god the Breakfasts! If you live within a 700-mile radius of Tucson, you should be in your car right now, driving to get tomorrow’s breakfast. I am not sure what Dennis did in his previous life, but I think he actually might be Julia Childs…on steroids.

If you are staying in Tucson, you should be staying at The Azure Gate.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple