“Nature Lover's Dream”

Azure Gate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 45 Tucson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2010

This was our first stay. My husband and I found the Azure Gate on the internet and stayed 3 nights (I wish it could have been longer). This is the nicest B&B I have ever stayed at. Beautiful lodging and grounds with so many special touches. Both the owners and the other guests were wonderful people that we loved enjoying breakfast with. And the breakfasts! I took pictures of them they were so beautifully presented! Absolutely gourmet and delicious. We also got great tips on where to go hiking in the area from the owners. My husband and I will no doubt be going back to the Azure Gate - we had an absolutely wonderful stay. Shelly & Charlie from Minnesota

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shellystpaul

Reviewed 20 February 2010

We took relaxing strolls around the property every morning and listened to the birds sings. Read the paper, had some great coffee and a wonderful breakfast each day.
They are very conscientious of special diet concerns and let me tell you they go out of their way everyone has a fabulous meal each morning whether you are a Non vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan or even have gluten allergies.

We stayed in the Santa Ana Cottage and loved it! Bright open air feeling with high huge windows and cozy decor. Although, the next time we visit we will pick a room without a loft - Getting up and down the narrow stairway to and from the room was a little scary in the dark of the night. I'm a wimp though and in my younger years would have enjoyed it. The cottage was stocked with drinks in the refrigerator, nibbles and candies on the coffee table. We could have stayed a month!

We highly recommend Azure Gate!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennette1
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Both my wife I enjoyed 6 fabulous days and nights at the Azure Gate B & B during the 1st week of Feb 2010. As a result of a last minute cancellation we were fortunate to secure lodging at this highly acclaimed Bed & Breakfast. Our hosts Dennis & Christine are one of the most charming, talented and accommodating people you will ever meet. I can't wait for Dennis to publish his breakfast cookbook. I am going to miss my early morning conversations with Dennis and Christine while they were both preparing breakfast for their guests. The accommodations were outstanding and the location was both close enough to be a short drive from downtown and far enough to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Desert. Delightful hosts generally attract friendly and delightful guests as well. During our stay the other guests were no exception. This made our stay even more enjoyable for my wife and me. My wife was overwhelmed with the local Gem show while I enjoyed exploring the local golf courses. Breakfast was a time when we shared our adventures and recommendations of the day before and discussed our plans for the current day. Both Dennis & Christine created an atmosphere that made it impossible for anyone not to have an enjoyable time. Anyone that is fortunate to secure lodging at this establishment will not be disappointed.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2010

This bed and breakfast was excellent value for money, the owners were extremely friendly and helpful and gave us lots of advice and tips on where to go. The breakfasts were very creative, delicious and different every day and the Catalina Guest House, the room we stayed in was very spacious as it was in its own building separate from the main house. It was much more than a room actually as it had a large gallery sleeping area, a terrace, kitchen and living room and the views of the mountains and surrounding garden were amazing. The desert landscape around the house was very beautiful and it's a lovely area to stay in as you're not too far from Tucson, there's plenty to do in the area and Dennis and Christine had printed out very useful driving instructions for every place that we wanted to visit which made getting there very easy. The only thing I would say is that if you want to go out and drink and not drive, then taxis aren't that easily available but the Catalina Guest house had a good kitchen area which we cooked in some nights, there are some decent places to eat close by and there is a Safeway supermarket very near by. We had a great 4 night stay and especially enjoyed the bottle of wine they had left for us in the kitchen after our long journey getting there! Don't miss the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (where we had a very nice lunch at the Ocotillo cafe) and if you can get to see both Saguaro National Parks (East and West) we would recommend it as they are slightly different to one another. Southern Arizona (and the Azure Gate) is a great place to visit because of its scenery, food and the great people.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We are a young Australian professional couple living in Phoenix. We chose the Azure Gate because after reading about it we felt an affinity with the place and its owners and our experience there confirmed this. Dennis and Christine have created a magical B&B in a naturally beautiful environment in the foothills of Tucson.

We would recommend the Azure Gate to people who are lovers of quality small businesses, who love food and wine, who love nature and authenticity and who are happy to meet like minded people over delicious breakfasts! In a sea of bland corporate offerings, Azure Gate stands out as the ultimate desert experience for the discerning traveller.

We would definitely visit again. Thank you Dennis and Christine

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Localize
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I found this gem of a place on the Internet. Not ever being in Tucson and knowing no one there, I was taking a chance. What a delight The Azure Gate turned out to be!

Dennis met us upon arrival, after first providing us with detailed, excellent directions from the airport. He showed us around the 5-acre Sonora cacti garden and the main house, including a very-well stocked library of books and DVDs.

He then showed us to our separate 2-story bungalow (does one say "bungalow" in the southwest?). We opted for the Catalina and were quite pleased with our choice. A separate kitchen with full refrigerator, microwave, coffeepot, dishes, towels, everything that one needs in a kitchen. There was coffee, tea, FRESH cream in the refrigerator, a bowl of chocolates and another of mixed nuts. There was also a vase of roses on the white lacey tablecloth which I thought was fake until some petals dropped. And a divine bottle of cabernet. I don't know if the roses and wine are the usual or because I mentioned I was celebrating my birthday when I made the reservations.

The Catalina was tastefully and thoughtfully decorated. Everything from nightlights (two), stationery with pen, current Tucson magazines, hair dryer, terry cloth bathrobes, just everything was provided. We slept in a comfortable bed in a loft which overlooked the living room. There were a lot of windows which gave the bungalow an airy feel.

In the main house, Dennis and Christine had not only binders with restaurant and tourist recommendations, but directions to everyplace turn-by-turn. When we came into the main house in the mornings for breakfast and tell them of our plans for the day, they would give us directions from site to site.

Now the best part: BREAKFAST! I usually get by on coffee and something quick. Well, one does not want to be quick at The Azure Gate. I have traveled extensively and have stayed at the best hotels (Ritz, Four Seasons, blah blah) on six continents (okay, on one of the continents there are no hotels), but Dennis's breakfasts have beat everyplace everywhere. My camera was out all five mornings and took pictures of both courses each morning. (I have ten photos in all.) Michelin should come and have breakfast here. No kidding.

And, Christine set the breakfast table (and dining room) with lighted candles and arranged flowers every morning. Always a colorful dining table runner and placemats and pretty dishes and crystal stems for the mango with lime? or guava with ?, I can't remember because I was in a state of bliss.

I usually don't post on sites like this, but I'm thankful for my time at The Azure Gate and thankful for having met Dennis and Christine.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My wife and I have stayed in the Azure Gate Bed and Breakfast four times over the past 5 years. It is a wonderful former artists home with an amazing garden and grounds set within a nature area of Cactii and desert flowers. The hosts Christine and Dennis are fantastic and breakfast at the Azure Gate is an incredible event. We would stay no where else in the the Tuscon area.
David and Chris