“Breathtakingly beautiful location and a nice resort.”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The JW Marriott Starr Pass resort exceeded our expectations. We are not usually fond of such large, commercial places, but were brought here to attend a conference. The facility is beautiful. The location is far from the city where the mountains begin. Be sure to ask for a room with a view of Tucson twinkling in the distance at night. The hotel has only eight floors. Our room was on the 7th, and the view was fantastic. Great bathrooms with lots of marble and a separate tub. Very comfortable beds.
The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Service in the restaurants was good, too. Food is very good. Poolside service brought many memorable margaritas. The pools were sparkling and clean, water was perfect and did not smell of chlorine. Lazy river was great. I loved that the pools were open until 11:00 pm. Night swims in the desert were beautiful.
Overall, the vibe here is very serene. This is a well-run resort. The surroundings are beautiful.
We rented a car and sought out local Mexican food. Had our best dinner at Guadalajara Grill. Yum. Also tried Mi Nidito, but found it a bit bland. Our favorite days were spent at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Don't miss it. Great for all ages. Live animals, desert vegetation, wildlife exhibits, and a desert trail were informative and beautiful. The gift shops were very nice, and filled with local and Native American crafts.The short drive to the museum allowed us to see even more of the spectacular mountains surrounding Tucson. We went back for a second day because there was so much to see. Be sure to buy or bring a hat and very comfortable walking shoes. Sunscreen is available in all restrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view. One side of the hotel faces a hill and parking lots, while the oth...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. I appreciate your comments and always enjoy sharing them with our team. I am glad you enjoyed the pools and the lazy river, and I'm sure the poolside Margaritas made it even more enjoyable! I was also very pleased to here that your enjoyed your dining here. For your next trip to Tucson and stay at our Resort, I strongly recommend Cafe Poca Cosa in downtown Tucson for excellent Mexican food. I hope we will have another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was booked into the Starr Pass Resort for a weekend of business meetings. I wasn't looking forward to going, but found myself pleasantly surprised. The service was excellent. The facility was immaculate. My room was large and comfortable. And the bathroom was so large, modern, and well decorated that I could have hung out there the whole time and been happy. There were lots of nice touches to the resort, like different flavored waters to sample in the lobby. Happy hour on the terrace (they give out free shots of tequila at 5pm every day to celebrate sundown) was fun. This would be a good place to come with a family. Lots for kids to do.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Situated in the Tucson mountains on the very eastern part of town, this resort has a lovely, lovely view. Built in a sand coloured adobe style, the deck located in front of the lobby area is its main selling point. From here you have a great view of Tucson city in front of you, and at night, you can lounge around the fire pits while watching the twinkling city lights in the distance in the dry evening Tucson heat. The rooms are ok, but nothing to brag about. Make sure you have a room facing the central pool and outdoor terrace area, which is where the stunning view is.

Room Tip: face the pool area
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bojantercon
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Very helpful staff, amazing view, lovely surroundings, wonderful spa, our room was so so so nice....can't say enough good things.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Took a couple days solo to relax and spa. Had never stayed here before but definitely will return. Amazing hiking trails, great rooms and a wonderful spa. I had Jon for a therapeutic massage that was amazing. Maya for a body treatment that was so relaxing.
The rooms were great and kept very nice. The restaurants are pricey but you expect that at a resort and the food was good. There was an incident across the hall on my last night (some family had decided to have a Birthday party in their room about 20 people) but management caught on and it was shut down very quickly... All in all really enjoyed my time there.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony, all the views are great.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LMMBATAVIA
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. I appreciate your comments and always enjoy sharing them with our team, and thanks for taking the time to recognize both Jon & Maya in the spa - I will pass your comments onto their manager. I agree with you that the views from all of our rooms is outstanding, and a room with a balcony is a plus! I hope we will have an opportunity in the near future to have you as our guest again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed at this resort as an end to our hiking/birding vacation in SE Arizona - we used some rewards points and from the moment we checked in, the staff was friendly (everyone even said hello!), helpful and happy - Wow! Our room was wonderful and they upgraded us to a view of the city and the thunderstorms rolling through. Everything was wonderful - the food was great, the tequila toast fun but most impressive was the staff - This was great for families too (there were a lot). Even stayed one extra day - Will have to go back and would recommend to anyone. Thanks Marriott Starr Pass Resort!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

It is a pleasure to get such fantastic feedback from an extensive traveler. Thank you for visiting our Resort and your comments regarding your stay. I was pleased to hear your comments about every associate taking the time to greet you, and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Tequila toast and watch our Monsoon thunderstorms from your room. We look forward to your next trip to Tucson, and hope that you can stay longer!

Reviewed 31 July 2011

I couldn't be happier with my stay at the Starr Pass resort. The staff were friendly and the service was very good. The room was spacious, clean, and nice.. with a HUGE bathroom.

The lazy river provided a unique outdoor hang out and was a very relaxing activity after a long day of meetings.

Valet parking was provided free and although they were a little tardy retrieving the car one time, the next time they made up for it by leaving the AC on and cooling off the car before I entered..

Overall an excellent stay and great value. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GlobalMiz
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. I appreciate your comments and always enjoy sharing them with our team. I am glad you enjoyed the room and that the size of the bathroom exceeded your expectations. I agree with you that are staff is outstanding and very friendly. Thank you for your comments. I hope we will have another opportunity to have you as our guest.