“Beautiful Resort nestled in the Tucson mountains”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
AZ
“Beautiful Resort nestled in the Tucson mountains”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 2 day stay at this resort in Tucson. We stayed in a smaller suite (only the two of us).It was very spacious and clean. The bed was just awesome - so comfortable with the pillows and comforter. The bathroom was huge with separate shower & bath tub. Even had 2 irons & 2 iron boards and a small refrigerator for juice, etc. which was very helpful. The only downside was that there was only one sink in the bathroom. Having a suite I just couldn't believe there was only 1 sink. Honestly there needs to be 2 sinks.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Thanks for taking the time to share with us about your experience here at the Resort. I was pleased to read that you found the Suite to be spacious, clean, and that the comfort of the bed exceeded your expectations. It sounds like the bathroom was also hit, but would have been better with two sinks. While our Executive Suites do just have the 1 sink in the bathroom, our largest Suites do have two!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My Husband and I stayed at the Starr Pass resort for a conference. We were also able to catch some down time to enjoy ourselves. This was the perfect hotel for this. We stayed in a jr suite, which was very large. The furnishings were tastefull Southwest decor. I travel alot for business and am used to typical 'hotle/banquet' food , but the food that was served at this conference (iof over 1000 attendess) was delicious.
Both pools were beautiful. we had lunch at the poolside restaurant and it was very good.
I need to also point out that the staff/service was 5-star. The staff went out of their way to be accomodating

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2011
Andrea,

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience you and your husband recently had here while attending a conference at the Resort. It was a true pleasure to read that you found the food prepared by our Events Staff to be outstanding. Chef Mikkelson and his team take a great deal of pride in preparing amazing food for guests dining in our conference space. It also gives me a great deal of pride to share with our staff that the guests do notice our "Spirit to Serve." I hope that the two of you can return to our Resort in the near future.

SF
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Wonderful food in all of the onsite restaurants. It was exquisitely tranquil to have a glass of wine outside by the fire pits. Great staff, clean, quiet, nicely decorated large guest rooms.
There are about 3 fresh-water style pools.

Room Tip: Make sure to grab a tube and meander down the
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Thank you for visiting our Resort and your comments regarding your stay. I agree with you that grabbing a tube for a trip around the lazy river is a must! I hope that your next trip to Tucson also brings you back to our Resort.

Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This beautiful resort is about a 10 minute drive from downtown Tucson. It's up on a mountain with a beautiful view overlooking the city of Tucson. Enjoy the twinkling lights of the city at night while sitting on comfy sofas by one of the 3 huge firepits right outside the lobby. The decor is very pretty and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The beds have down pillows, mattress covers and bed covers. It's like sleeping on a cloud. During the warm days, the kids can enjoy one of the many pools but I'm pretty sure they'd rather head over to the lazy river... it has a slide too! They have a great little restaurant that serves a lot of great food (pricey) but really good. I've been here twice and plan on going back again!

Room Tip: Rooms feel like you're on cloud 9!
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Resort. I am happy to hear that we exceeded the expectations for sleeping "on a cloud." I am glad you like the fire pits and the view of the city lights, we are also hearing equally great comments from other guests. I appreciate your recommendation and hope we will see you again soon.

Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I spent three nights and four days at this hotel/resort for business. It is a large property with lovely views of the desert mountains. Starting with the room, they were very accommodating and let me check in early. They noted that I was attending a conference and specifically offered a room closer to the meeting area. This was very nice as it is a very long walk from one end of the resort to the other. My room was very comfortable with a nice balcony (2 chairs and a small table). This was nice for star gazing at night. The AC in the room was very god and the bed extremely comfortable. Good sheets are a must for me and these measured up to my crazy high standards. The bathroom was spacious with a separate tub and shower.
The Resort itself was nice but not spectacular. Having stayed previously at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson, this felt more like a big hotel with a couple of pools. The difference was there were few cozy spaces, hidden walkways or bungalows that I enjoyed at the other property. Still, the view from the main veranda was lovely. As a bonus, every evening at 5:30 the resort offers a free tequila shot for guests as they retell the story of Pancho Villa and his love. People seem to look forward to that.
As for the grounds, the main hotel veranda overlooked a nice swimming pool and poolside bar/cafe with cooling misters. The bigger attraction seemed to be the lazy river pool which provided a relaxing float experience. (Though it would have been more refreshing had it been about 5 degrees cooler). It also had a slide.
I spoke with folks who enjoyed morning hikes on desert trails surrounding the resort, but I did not participate so have no first hand experience.
The conference spaces (for meetings, luncheons, etc.) were quite generous and tech staff were at the ready to deal with projectors, etc. I understand that wireless in the conference area is not readily available for attendees and was expensive for the planners to acquire. The banquet food was fine.
The only significant downside was that food on site was very pricey and the resort is isolated, so unless you have a car or want to spend lots of money on cabs, you need to pad your food budget.
I did not use the spa services so I cannot comment.
Overall, rooms were very nice, service attentive, and pools ample. It just didn't have a layout that felt like a relaxing resort to me.

Room Tip: Get familiar with the layout and request your room accordingly.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
It is a pleasure to get such fantastic feedback from an extensive traveler, and that the linens on the bed exceeded your expectations. I was happy to hear that you had time outside of your meetings to enjoy the amenities here at the resort. It sounds as if the star gazing and complimentary Tequila toast were a hit! I look forward to your next trip to Tucson.

Birmingham AL
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The JW Marriott Starr Pass resort exceeded our expectations. We are not usually fond of such large, commercial places, but were brought here to attend a conference. The facility is beautiful. The location is far from the city where the mountains begin. Be sure to ask for a room with a view of Tucson twinkling in the distance at night. The hotel has only eight floors. Our room was on the 7th, and the view was fantastic. Great bathrooms with lots of marble and a separate tub. Very comfortable beds.
The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Service in the restaurants was good, too. Food is very good. Poolside service brought many memorable margaritas. The pools were sparkling and clean, water was perfect and did not smell of chlorine. Lazy river was great. I loved that the pools were open until 11:00 pm. Night swims in the desert were beautiful.
Overall, the vibe here is very serene. This is a well-run resort. The surroundings are beautiful.
We rented a car and sought out local Mexican food. Had our best dinner at Guadalajara Grill. Yum. Also tried Mi Nidito, but found it a bit bland. Our favorite days were spent at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Don't miss it. Great for all ages. Live animals, desert vegetation, wildlife exhibits, and a desert trail were informative and beautiful. The gift shops were very nice, and filled with local and Native American crafts.The short drive to the museum allowed us to see even more of the spectacular mountains surrounding Tucson. We went back for a second day because there was so much to see. Be sure to buy or bring a hat and very comfortable walking shoes. Sunscreen is available in all restrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view. One side of the hotel faces a hill and parking lots, while the oth...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. I appreciate your comments and always enjoy sharing them with our team. I am glad you enjoyed the pools and the lazy river, and I'm sure the poolside Margaritas made it even more enjoyable! I was also very pleased to here that your enjoyed your dining here. For your next trip to Tucson and stay at our Resort, I strongly recommend Cafe Poca Cosa in downtown Tucson for excellent Mexican food. I hope we will have another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was booked into the Starr Pass Resort for a weekend of business meetings. I wasn't looking forward to going, but found myself pleasantly surprised. The service was excellent. The facility was immaculate. My room was large and comfortable. And the bathroom was so large, modern, and well decorated that I could have hung out there the whole time and been happy. There were lots of nice touches to the resort, like different flavored waters to sample in the lobby. Happy hour on the terrace (they give out free shots of tequila at 5pm every day to celebrate sundown) was fun. This would be a good place to come with a family. Lots for kids to do.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business