JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Serene.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Loved this property. I was there for a conference, but went a couple of days in advance to enjoy the area and the amenities of the resort. A wonderful spa with a secluded saline pool. A lazy river. Wonderful terraces with fire pits, cozy seating, and cocktails (including a sunset tequila toast). Warm, yet humbly grand decor all around. Service was terrific and conference services, on the business end of my trip, were impeccable. I will be returning this summer and cannot wait. It would be a great place for a romantic getaway, a family vacation, a girls trip, and was great for a business conference. Excellent property.

Room Tip: The pool views are actually lovely - but be warned that some warnings there was some guy playing som...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Great hotel with outstanding service. The room are great although the view from some in the front of hotel leave a little to be desired. Common areas peaceful, beautiful and elegant. Great conference facility.

• Stayed January 2012
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

The property is indeed beautiful but somewhat inconvenient and charges you for everything. I know that this is somewhat typical of upscale hotels, but ironically, I think I liked this hotel less than I normally would have as a result of spending the two previous nights at a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express. One might think I would have been thrilled to end my trip in the lap of luxury that is supposedly the JW Marriott, but I found myself very annoyed by paying $10 to self park ($20 for valet), $13 to use the internet (and the phone reception was terrible so I could not receive calls on my cell phone or use the internet on my phone), $15 to use the spa, etc., etc. The night prior, I got free parking, free internet, free access to a fitness facility, a jacuzzi in my room, and free breakfast at my Hampton Inn. I missed that Hampton Inn!! To be fair, I was traveling by myself for business, so while I enjoyed hiking on the trails around the hotel, I did not take advantage of the table bonfires outside and perhaps missed out on some of the more unique aspects of the hotel. I was just got very sick of not being able to use my phone and being nickled and dimed every time I turned around.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rayl33
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that your accommodations did not reflect what you expect and deserve at a JW Marriott property. I sincerely regret that you did not receive a personalized experience, and we hope you will give us a second chance and stay with us in the near future.

LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We took the kids and had a fantastic time
They have a great pool
They also have a water slide and lazy river (FYI closed in the winter)
The food is outstanding and the service is incredible!
At night you can sit by the camp fires and make smores or have a drink
We loved this hotel and would absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank You for taking time out of your day to rate your stay, we appreciate your encouraging feedback and I will share them with our associates. You have highlighted two of the most popular experiences at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, the Fire Pit experience on the Salud! Patio and the Water Collection. Thanks again for providing your feedback; we truly appreciate your comments.

Warm regards,

Las Cruces, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We live in NM and drive over to Starr Pass often for a very relaxing trip. We love this property. The rooms are spacious and clean. You almost don't find a bathroom like the ones at this property any place else (well maybe Vegas). The bathrooms are big, nicely appointed. The beds are comfortable and so far I've always slept well here. I have heard noise over head or in the hallways at times but what Hotel doesn't have that? The lobby and entire resort is clean, nicely decorated and huge. You can walk outside or hike nearby, we've done both. The staff is friendly. The pool is nice but in the summer months it is hard to get chairs and especially umbrellas, in fact a guy about hit my husband for grabbling "his" umbrella by accident last summer. We like the experience of ordering food and drinks by the pool. The lazy river is also nice but again there's a lack of supplies (intertubes). It is so fun to just float around this pool. We've had amazing views of the golf course here. The spa is very nice, lots of choices in spa treatments. They started charging for parking a few years back which is a bummer, but it's not too pricey. It's a hike from the parking garage though, I'll warn you about that!!! We usually eat off property, but you will have to drive quite a distance if you decide to do the same because Starr Pass sits a ways out of town...(also one of the things that makes it so nice for a getaway). Oh and I almost forgot to mention the fire pits. You can sit outside and gaze at the stars or view and have drinks or snacks and enjoy the fire pits.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nmnative
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your detailed accounts from your past stays, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experiences. The Fire Pit experience on the Salud! Patio is purely an amazing experience. I have communicated your comments about our Water Collection Experience to our Director of Guest Experiences, and please understand that we genuinely value your kind words and we look forward to your return in 2012.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Starr pass was so much fun. Every staff member was great. It was such a treat to come here. I didn't even try all the extra options they offer(massages, etc.) because it was great just doing the basic. I would recommend to anyone. Thanks Starr Pass!!

• Stayed December 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

If you are looking for an exceptional hotel in a very, very quiet atmosphere, then Starr Pass is the place to go. Where the JW Desert Ridge in Phoenix is also exceptional, in only a few minutes, you're in town. Starr Pass is a five mile drive to get to the western edge of Tucson. It's bordered by park, with great hiking trails, the service is uniquely Marriott, and the room was wonderful. (There is nothing so sweet as JW Marriott beds and linens. Sigh!) The only bad thing during this stay was that Prima, their five star restaurant, was closed for a private party and cleaning so we didn't get to dine there. The bar, Salud, hosts a tequila class and tasting each evening at 5:30. I don't like tequila very much, but enjoyed the peach-infused 1800 that the bartender made. Go for the fun and the education, even if you choose not to drink. Because the self-parking garage was located at the complete other end of the hotel, we felt we could eat a big breakfast every day and not risk gaining any weight!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room on the back of the hotel, away from the pools--if you're there in the summer...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple