“Starry night at the Star Pass Resort & Spa in Tucson”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Leaving Old Tucson Studios, where a great deal of Westerns were made in the 50's, we inquired about a resort near by where we can spend the night and have nice diner. A lady in the Gift Shop mentioned the Star Pass resort and spa. Boy, oh boy, are we glad we took her suggestion!
A Marriott property, it's nested in the mountains and reached via an quaint winding road. Surrounded by Saguaro, the giant cacti, palm trees, mountains and starry sky, it is enchanting. I have rarely stayed at Marriott properties, but if this place is an indication, I will from now on. Nothing was left unattended - from the wonderful majestic lobby filled with art, tiles and stones, through the pleasantly staffed reception, to the big glass containers filled with iced water and fruit, where you can poor your own natural lemonade, it was all great.
Our room was spacious and the views were enviable. The two Olympic size pools were heated and there was a large outside terrace where you could have drinks or some food, if desired.
Of the several restaurants, we picked Primo, which we were told, is their "fine dining" . The food was Italian / Modern American and all delicious: house made bread with excellent extra virgin olive oil, appetizers that could be a meal in themselves and finally, the main course - we cowardly declined desserts, too full to continue to eat. Service was impeccable and we rewarded them gladly.

Room Tip: simple: ask for a room with a view, although I believe they all have great views
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oliver S
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely appreciate our partnerships in the community and are glad that Old Tucson Studios referred you are way. I love the title of your review: Starry Night at the Starr Pass, and on most nights the views of the city and “Starr” are remarkable. Thank you for visiting us, and we would love to have you back when you are looking for a break from the Big Apple.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,174)

Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have stayed in many five star hotels around the world and this resort is in my top three.

The staff, especially manager Bridget Higgins Signature sommelier Eric Arnold and basically everyone we encountered, made us feel we were important. The entire staff went out of their way to recognize our anniversary and make it one of the best ever. It was as though we were the only guests at the hotel, although they had their hands full with a large convention the entire week.

Other reviewers have mentioned the many amenities, but I would like to mention the food in particular. The meals at Signature were consistently excellent, especially the prixe fixe Valentine's Day dinner. Salud is also wonderful, especially the terrace with the fire pits which draws a lively crowd every evening and provides unobtrusive live music each night before the tequila toast.

The golf course doesn't get mentioned by many reviewers, but all three courses are superb, impeccably groomed and with tee positions for any handicap.

What really makes a hotel though, is the staff and this Marriott has, across the board, the most accomodating, considerate staff I have encountered in a long while.

We fell in love with Tucson on this, our first visit and the JW Marriott experience contributed greatly to our very positive experience in a wonderful city.

Room Tip: The view looking over the terrace, pools and Tucson is magnificent, especially the sunrises over the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 22man

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to detail the amenities of the resort. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and the phrase: World Class Resort. I will make sure that your comments are heard, and especially recognize Bridget and Eric. Anytime you want to escape the snow in Toga, Starr Pass will welcome your return!

Reviewed 18 February 2012

The hotel has been booked Miss S, Its going 2 be 3 long weeks of work away from home. It's so much easier to fly in and out 2 a local hotel, however I will be away from home for an extensive period of time and I've heard from colleagues that its a must . I arrive in Phoenix & pick up my car ,and start this journey that will turn out to be an experience of a life time. I drive and I'm thinking I'm lost along side this windy roads, alas there it is, nothing I'm not used to on the outside. I pull up and immediately the 5 star service begins, welcoming smiles, easy and quick check in and ensure u feel at home ( if u have a long stay ask for a refrigerator)
The decor is welcoming and holds a peace of history ( in writing for all to see). The rooms are clean, love the flat screens and the overall comfort level,the grounds r breath taking. This is it for me ..... Le Sigh. They have something 4 every one, they have a kids club, a lazy river and oh yeah a Spa (I'm in second heaven).The staff pay personal attention to u , after day 2 of my stay and a long day at work, my welcome home greeting - Welcome back Miss S.
On my second trip a month later, I was recognized at check in and asked if I wanted the same room as last time as it was available.U know the answer to that.
Let me tell u about the restaurants.. Primo, Signature Grill great for dinner - But let me tell u about the patio food at Salud.Please try the hot dogs and oh so yummy Guaqamole and chips ). A big thank u and a toast to the 2 the Staff at Salud. ( check them out there hospitality is beyond) The hospitality does not stop at the front line staff, the domestics take the time to take care of your room. All in all one of the best working holiday yeah working holiday I have ever had, needless to say, that is now my home away from home in Phoenix. PS don't 4 get to sign up for the rewards pass - I recently used it on a weekend and my room didn't cost a dime and because it was not busy, I got upgraded to a Villas in San Diego. Yep it didn't cost a dime. I came away making friends and know that I can count on The Marriott family to make my stay as pleasant as I can ever Imagine. Oh did I tell u about the 4th of July Fireworks treat ( A MUST SEE) Oh yeah every night at 5pm there is a really old tradition going on by the fire pit stop by - and later on snuggle up, get comfy enjoy the ambiance , read a book and toast a smore by the pit - really>>> stop by u wont be disappointed.
Miss S (Im a fan)

Room Tip: Golf course view - A - mazing
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Marian B
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to detail the exceptional amenities of the resort. It sounds like the perfect getaway while you were our guest! Anytime you want to escape the Phoenix area, Starr Pass will welcome your return!

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I can't say enough good things about this property.

First of all, the location--perched in the high desert around Tucson was unsurpassed. The seclusion of the property and the solitude of the desert is so beautiful.

The rooms are beautiful. We stayed in an Executive Suite--it was spacious and decorated well.

The staff was very attentive. While there, our son got lost. The members of the staff were actively looking for him and were so nice to us and him when he was found. The staff at the Signature Grill went out of their way to bring our dessert to us on the outdoor patio of the bar. The housekeeping staff and other hotel staff went out of their way to offer smiles whenever you passed them.

The outdoor patio with the fire pits was amazing. What a great place to gather with friends and family. The s'mores were a nice touch as well.

We LOVED the lazy river, the hiking trails, and the active nature of the resort.

If I ever have to come back to Tucson, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ksbrownutah

Dear Valued Guest:

First, let me stat by saying that I am so glad that we were able to assist in locating your son during your most recent visit, I am certain that must have been a stressful situation for a parent. Thank you for taking time out of your day to highlight some of the fabulous features of the resort. I would have to agree that the stunning views and exquisite location enhances each individual experience. We sincerely value your personalized perspective on your recent JW Marriott Starr Pass experience, and we look forward to delivering another personalized experience in the near future!

Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife and I frequently travel frequently on busines to Tucson. After our first stay we feel this property is our home away from home. The facility is beautiful with incredible views.
The staff makes us feel like family. From the moment we arrive everyone from the bell staff, front desk do everything they can to make our staff memorable.
The tequilla toast each night is a great way to end the day.
Whether it be at Salud, Primo, Signature, or Catalina Grill, the service and food are always first class.
We highly recommend this facility for those who want to enjoy a truly experience.

Room Tip: Rooms with views of the city lights are most enjoyable.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest:

WOW, thank you for taking time out of your day to highlight your stay. We appreciate your encouraging comments about our service and I will share them with our associates. Thank you for highlighting one of our most popular experiences at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, the Salud! Tequilla Toast. We sincerely appreciate that you consider us your “Home Away From Home”, and we look forward to hosting your next visit.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Spent three days at this hotel recently. I used my Marriott points to pay for the room, and as such, wasn't expecting much of a room. What a surprise! On checking in, was informed that I had an upgraded view room on the 6th floor! And it was beautiful! The room had two double beds. A large bathroom with separate shower and tub, and more than enough space for it to feel quite luxurious. The bedroom too, was a great size with a refrigerator for guest use, as well as a coffee machine. The room contained a nice easy chair with side table, a desk with two chairs, and an armoire with drawers, fridge etc. A flat screen TV was on top of this. Smallish closet, but enough space for a short stay. The view was super - overlooking the pool area and the mountains. We ate in the main restaurant once, - food was decent but nothing to rave about. We also ate at Primo, and were really looking forward to it, but this turned out to be a huge disappointment. We were there during the Jewelry show, and though the restaurant is usually closed on a Monday, they opened up specially to accommodate all the people in the hotel. This may have been a factor, in the food being bland, and far from great tasting. There is a Starbucks within the resort and we got coffee and pastries from there a few times. Nice option for breakfast as well. Very nice lobby area, and outdoor patio. To sum up: Great hotel, with superb views of the mountains from the main lobby area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience on your past stay. The Tucson Gem & Mineral Show is an exciting time for all of Tucson, and we appreciate that you chose the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and Spa as your home away from home. Your concerns about your dining experiences have been expressed to our Executive Chef, and we offer our sincere apologies. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Tucson.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed here again for our annual Gem Show trip. This place is great, gorgeous, clean & courteous staff. The view is AMAZING!! Spa is SUPERB. Location is great & easy to get to.

Only a couple complaints. I feel a place at this rate should not be nickel & dime-ing on parking ($10 a day to use their lot & $20 a day to valet (plus tip)!) That leaves a bad taste in mouth. Also, being this is dry Tucson, the bottled water should be given at no charge. And for some reason I've had a problem with timely wake up calls here (1/2 hour or more off).

Room Tip: Any room has a good view, either mountain or city lights. Gorgeous!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank phanie12

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your insight on your past stay, I am thrilled to hear that you were here during the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. That has to be one of Tucson’s most exciting events of the year. I apologize that you feel that you did not receive value for the services, and your concerns have been heard. I will certainly express your concerns, and we look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa.