JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from May 22 -25 for a conference I had to attend. This place sits right in the middle of mountains. We were amazed to see that cactus grow like trees on the mountains. Made for great pictures!

The lobby is absolutely beautiful and HUGE!! The customer service we received the entire time was top notch. We only had bad service once at the main bar (tequila toast), but I think the waitress was just new. The conference facility was very nice and was able to accommodate the multitude of women that attended the conference. It was also well removed from the main part of the resort. There were flavored water station's set up throughout the resort, so you'll never be thirsty. The lazy river was fun but the tube's gave us a rashes. I didn't like that at all. It took 2 weeks for it to go away.

Our room was very romantic. It over looked the main entrance that faced the mountains. We were able to sit on our balcony and watch the sunset. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom kinda reminded me of a Vegas hotel bathroom, Top Notch!!

The star of this resort is the signature restaurant and patio bar. In the late afternoon into the evening the bar opens up and they pull back the glass doors to bring the outside in. This allows for the bar that's in the building to feel like it expands out onto the massive patio they have. The patio furniture is soft, the fire pits are romantic, and the drinks are stellar!! We so enjoyed our free shot of tequila nightly :)

The food was good at the resort but it is pricey so be ready to spend some serious cash at this place! Although I was mainly there for work, having my boyfriend with me, allowed me to see how romantic this hotel is. Watching the stars, drinking a specialty margarita, in the moon light with the fire pit crackling and soft music playing is priceless!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Valparaiso, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is actually my second stay at the Starr Pass. I am lucky enough to attend business functions that are held here about once a year. The rooms are as nice as most JW Marriotts, but who wants to spend time in a room? The resort has a huge patio, nice pool, and on-site golf course. I have not played the course, but it looks immaculate, rolling, and few if any trees. I am in meetings all day, but as the sun goes down, so does the temperature. The patio furniture is very comfortable and you can eat a variety of foods from the less expensive Signature Grill, or more traditional resaurant, the "Primo" (best grilled chicken Ceaser I have ever had). I took a few pictures, but none of them do the property justice. The ambiance on the patio over looking the lights of Tuscon at night is incredibly relaxing. The property is pretty remote, so I would estimate a 20 minute drive to get into Tucson. I stopped at a small store on my way to the property to pick up water, Gatorade, and a few snacks. I prefer scuba diving locations, but this is wonderful desert resort.

Room Tip: The rooms are contained in 6 separate buildings (I think). the resort is surrounded by desert so th...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to highlight to commend the resort. It was with great delight to read that you posted a review of the resort and of our Primo restaurant. Thank you for sharing about your experience and we hope to see you back soon!

Kind regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a business meeting recently and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. The setting is spectacular, above Tucson with views down to the city. Food is reasonably good, especially considering a somewhat captive audience. Great selection of tequilas. Interesting hiking available nearby. A large patio with fire pits overlooking nighttime Tucson is especially inviting once the desert cools down.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sazeracker
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Our family of 5 stayed here this weekend and had a wonderful time. We have three young children and were comfortable in the standard room. Tight squeeze with the roll away bed, but very manageable. Also enjoyed looking at the animals they had by the pool including owls, a snake, scorpion and tarantula. They brought these in late on Saturday afternoon.

The Good:
First impression when walking in was, WOW, look at the view. Stunning. For the most part, the service was top notch from the friendly and informative check in to the friendly and accommodating staff in the Signature Grill and the poolside service. We had breakfast in the Signature Grill where the kids under 5 eat free from the buffet. Quite large selection of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals and the regular hot assortment. They also will get freshly made pancakes, eggs if desired. The food prices are in line with most resorts (high) but the value of the kids eating free helps to offset that. The program we were under also allowed children under 12 to eat free for dinner which we took advantage of on our second night. My husband enjoyed his burger and I enjoyed the braised shortribs (we didn't order dessert so we could enjoy some later on outside as I will explain below). The pools were great and I felt they were less crowded than the JW Marriott Desert Ridge. The lazy river got crowded in the mid afternoon, but the main pool was not as busy. We had no trouble getting loungers. We had lunch poolside and enjoyed the carne asada nachos (large enough for my husband and I to share) and the kids ate all of the quesadilla and chicken fingers. We found our room to be clean and modern. I didn't see anything that needed remodeling in our room. The Salud lounge was just beautiful with the stunning view of the lights of Tucson below at night and both nights they had live music that was in line with enjoying the ambiance of the Southwest. We enjoyed glasses of wine and the kids enjoyed making the smores kit we ordered around the fire pit. Order the churros but beware that they will ruin you for all other churros. Best pillowy churros ever with warm chocolate and caramel dipping sauces.

The Not as Good:
These items would not deter me from returning and I look forward to returning in the near future, but they are worth mentioning as I noticed at least one has been mentioned by other reviewers and has not been rectified. First, on Saturday night the Salud staff were clearly unable to timely serve the amount of patrons. We waited over 20 minutes for a dessert menu and another 30 minutes for the server to return to take our order. With 3 tired young kids who we promised smores to, this made for a lot of impatience and complaining so a less enjoyable time for us. They clearly need more staff of busy Saturday nights. Friday was the opposite experience but far less crowded. Second, we left our hotel room around 9 am and when we returned around 3pm our room had not been serviced. I had to put the kids down for a nap so I knew that putting the do not disturb sign would mean we would not be serviced at all, but it would have been nice if they could have done so before we returned in the afternoon. The front desk had towels and toiletries delivered when we asked later.

The Great:
While enthralled with learning about the wildlife they brought in I put down our two kindles on the table they had set up. Of course I forgot them there and realized hours later when we were going to bed. The front desk immediately located the missing Kindles and had them delivered to our room. Honest staff say a lot about the quality of the employees and the companies they contract with (assuming the animal handlers were a separate company that turned our kindles in).

Thanks JW Marriott Starr Pass for a wonderful family weekend. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank noodle08
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We are fans of the JW Marriott properties ( I am a silver elite member and I mostly stay in Marriott properties) and this one is a great place to stay but could use some TLC. First of all let me say that the views are magnificent at night looking into Tucson. The staff, as always, is excellent. We were taken care of from the front desk to the pool to the Primo restaurant.

I was a bit surprised at the state of the room though. The carpets are in need of attention, the leather chair by the bed had a long gash in it, and the toilet smelled like someone had missed and it hadn't been cleaned. I brought this last item up to the desk as I was checking out and received apologies. It just seemed as if the cleaning staff hadn't been as thorough as I'm used to in this class of hotel. It is a really nice property but it does need a reno and some TLC in the rooms to get it back up to the level of a JW. I left a comment card detailing some of these items for mgmt to look into.

The Primo restaurant was expensive but worth it IMO. The only nit I had about that was that the server's assistant outshone the server by a zillion. Not sure why they do it this way as I think we saw our server three times the whole evening. The assistant brought our drinks and bread, kept our glasses refilled, and someone else brought our dinners out to us. The place was empty so not sure why the server was so absent. The only reason I tipped her at all was because I wanted to make sure the assistant was taken care and thinking back on it I should have just tipped her separately. I probably would just skip the restaurant the next time around and go into town to find a place with a bit better service and a much cheaper price.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the bell hops to get your luggage to your room the walk from the guest parking and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Marriott Elite Member:

Thank you for taking time to share about your latest experience at the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely value your personalized perspective about your recent experience, and I apologize that your experience did not exceed the expectations of excellence from a JW Marriott resort. Your concerns about the cleanliness and service have been communicated to leaders of those areas. The housekeeping team has communicated out your concerns about the cleanliness and will continue to focus on a pristine commode. The resort has an extensive “Rejuvenation” scheduled for the summer of 2013 that will bring an authentic look to our rooms and corridors. As a Marriott Rewards Elite Member, we look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Chad Lybrook
Minneapolis
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We are big fans of JW properties. This stay we received a large credit for food as well as credit for the Starbucks at the resort. That was a nice bonus that we put to good use. During our stay one of the activities offered was star gazing on the lawn with some very powerful telescopes. This was a big hit with the family! We were disappointed with the staff's ability to keep up with the large crowds for the weekend and keep things tidy. The staff was hard working, but it was not up to our usual experience at JW properties. The hotel was completely full, and our room was a tight squeeze, but the property is beautiful. This is a good choice if you are in the Tucson area.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrewr077
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is one beautiful property! Great customer service, spa experience and walking trails surrounding the property. Kitchen staff was very accommodating! I don't play golf, but my husband said it was great, too!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple