“A Tucson Favorite”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chapin, South Carolina
“A Tucson Favorite”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We have stayed at this resort many times over the years, so enjoyed seeing the recently remodeled guest rooms. The rooms are large and comfortable; the remodel features new carpet, bedding and guest lamps. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom has a grand feel with a separate shower and tub. I think the showers are showing some age, but they are still very nice. The lobby is open and welcoming and I especially enjoyed the flavored water offered near the guest services desk. Staff service is excellent all around. The patio in the evening is the most relaxing place to hang out after a day at work. The many fire pits and chimneys make for lots of cozy, comfortable choices. The dinner menu on the patio is limited, but they are usually willing to bring food over from the restaurant next door. The prices are resort prices, so expect to pay a lot for cocktails. The best value is the Catalina Barbecue down on the golf course. They provide drop off and pick up from the hotel front entrance. The menu and food are both good and they offer beer and appetizer specials when football is on TV. It is always a treat to stay at the Starr Pass and I look forward to the next trip.

Room Tip: We enjoy all the views except the parking lot view. Mountains, golf course, or pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to highlight and commend the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the recently refreshed guest rooms and highlighted many of the assets of our property. Thank you for sharing about your experience and we hope to see you back soon!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I really enjoyed my stay. The rooms are large and modern. The gym is a little tired as are most US hotels... food choices were limited particularly after a week long stay. Annoyingly Starbucks closes at 5pm, so if youre working, this is awkward.
The pool is delightful as is the spa. The breakfast buffet is well worth the cost!

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your past stay, I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your experience. We sincerely appreciate your feedback about the fitness center and are planning a refresh in early 2014. Thank you for sharing about your experience and we look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit.

Warm regards,

Tampa
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed there for a weekend with our granddaughter. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a pretty good hiking trail and an nice golf course. The center piece are the pools so a summertime trip would be best if you have kids. The rooms are nice, but pretty small. The restaurants on site are good, but expensive. I would suggest the self parking.

Room Tip: Higher rooms give you a better view of the mountains or the golf course.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank G2services
Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely value your personalized perspective on your recent experience. Thank you for taking time to highlight a couple of the features of our resort. The hiking trails out our Front Door offer a fantastic insight into the Sonoran Desert. We are glad to learn about your experience and look forward to your return.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We - child, mum and grandmum - stayed for girls together night at the Starr Resort in early Oct 2013. As other reviewers have pointed out there are many good points - view, pools, pleasant staff etc. But looking at it as a 5 star hotel, it seemed strange that it was so empty; particularly when many people in the immediate area had half-term. The reason seems clear and you could do something about it. The resort is expensive as you'd expect, but there seems a mean-spiritness about what is on offer as part of the special 'resort' fee. Most of which I would have expected to be included as part of any five star offer. For example, the one heated pool was outside and cost an additional 15 dollars a day, per person. And although this area is warm, it isn't that warm all the year and this must pay for heated pool wasn't that warm.

Why not provide some cheaper offers and fill the place up, with locals who might fancy a couple of days of luxury? Could do this a week before and make the whole place more lively, which the term 'resort' also implies. Helps parents if their children can find out children with whom to play. And fills rooms, restaurants and bars

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PJo459
Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely appreciate your online review of the resort. I apologize for any misperception, The JW Marriott Tucson does not charge guests a fee to utilize the Reflections Pool or the Starr Canyon River and Monsoon slide. Access to the Saline Lap pool at the Hashani Spa is limited to guests of the Spa, and a Day Pass may be purchased for $25, to experience the Saline Lap Pool, Jacuzzi’s and Eucalyptus Steam Room. We appreciate your sincere review of your stay and will take it into consideration, as we strive for all guests to have an enjoyable and relaxing experience at the property.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel is beautiful and the staff very accommodating. The views are breathtaking in the evening and the amenities are plentiful. A great place to relax and enjoy natures beauty. Highly recommend. The food is well prepared and there is something for everyone. The rooms are well appointed and quiet air conditioning. The view when walking across the bridge is beautiful. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Anne T
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the features of our resort. Majestic views are a favorite among our guests, from the rolling hills covered by saguaros or the evening lights of the city. Thank you for sharing about your experience and we hope to see you back soon!

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The location is fantastic. At dawn and dusk the view is simply beautiful; at any point you can practically see for miles and miles.

Resort is very nice. Refreshing infused water is found everywhere and the hotel staff is very helpful and friendly.

My room was very good. Dark and cool, also quiet which is greatly appreciated. My only complaint was that the door to the shower was held on with duct tape... Made me a little nervous about it falling on me but hey, duct tape can fix anything.

The pools were very nice as well as the restaurants. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your response on your past visit, we appreciate your personalized. I appreciate your kind words and sharing about your experience with the community. I will notify our Chief Engineer about the fine craftsmanship you experienced. In order to identify the exact location of the deficiency, I need a little more information to follow-up on your experience. Can you please kindly forward me the date and guest name of your past stay to chad.lybrook@marriott.com. We genuinely value your perspective and look forward the opportunity to surpass your expectations.

Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We came from Mesa for a little getaway with friends during the summer on one of their room credit specials. I've stayed here 2 or 3 times previously, mostly for the gem show & always highly recommend them. The resort is a little outside of Tucson, but the views more than make up for it! The views of downtown Tucson are simply amazing & the tequila sunset toast is a great local touch I wish more AZ resorts would take note of. I didn't use the spa on this trip but have previously & it's wonderful.

The resorts pools, lazy river, & slide are wonderful! It was busy so a bit loud, but since we stayed with friends who had kids this was fine. If it was just a romantic getaway, I would have probably been annoyed. Even at the front pool without the slide there were a lot of kids & it was pretty boisterous.

The poolside service was excellent & I loved the little flags on the chairs to let a server know you needed something, great idea. The poolside food & drinks were good, priced similarly to other resorts I've stayed, but the guacamole was not very good, pretty bland. Primo was very good, but I think we preferred the Grill. (I'll review separately) I think there was a better selection of food & it was priced competitively - we were surprised by the bill in a good way! Even the kids liked it better & Primo had pizza!

We had 2 pretty serious problems with the Marriot on this stay however.

We are married without kids & travel a lot & I have never had anything stolen from my room ever. Until this trip, unfortunately. My husband left behind his $300 Ping driver when we checked out, we knew exactly where it was in the room because he only brought this club for the driving range. I called immediately when we got back to Mesa & they hadn't re-rented the room yet but the club was no longer there. It was left handed too, so it's not like it could be used or sold easily. This was exacerbated by the fact that they suggested I call back & try the pro shop & lost & found the next day in case it turned back up. I tried for a good 10 days or so, & every time I was told someone would call me back no one ever did. They even found a tshirt & pool cover up I had left in the room & said they would ship to me & it took almost 2 weeks for them to do that. Again, when I called & asked about the missing club & where the items were that had been found I was never called back. Not once. It upsets me that the cheap tshirt & coverup were found & eventually shipped back to me but the expensive club mysteriously disappeared.

Second, they need a professional plumber to service their rooms. We had sewer water back up into the bath tub & shower when the people next door used theirs. You could hear the water gurgling in the drain in the shower. It was disgusting! When we called maintenance that night (we were getting ready for dinner at Primo) the guy they sent tried to tell my husband it wasn't "dirty" water i.e.sewer & that it was safe. My husband is in the water restoration business & called him out on the bald faced lie & let him know the truth. He also told him not to tell other guests it is perfectly "safe". I shudder to think of someone giving their child a bath in that bathtub after it backed up & told it was fine. What if they had a scratch or a compromised immune system? Our friends experienced the same problem in one of their 2 rooms as well as a toilet overflow. We did get a hundred dollar credit on both our rooms when we checked out, but this is an issue they need to get resolved asap.

Because of these 2 issues on this trip I rate the Marriott Starr Pass as Poor. As I stated, I have stayed before & had a wonderful time & often recommend them. I was very disappointed in this stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank CMBlaker
Dear Valued Guest:

Greetings, thank you for sharing about your experience. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and for taking time to share about your latest experience at the resort. I apologize that you did not receive our normal standards of excellence and I will take the appropriate measures to ensure that your areas of concerns are addressed.

Your concerns about the plumbing and lost items have been communicated to the leaders of the respective areas. We are taking appropriate steps to address all the matters noted in your comments. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com