JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a lovely hotel outside of Tucson, with saguaros surrounding it, and a great view of the city from the patio and pool. You are only 20 minutes from the city but it feels much further away. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was very good at the restaurant. The best part of the hotel is the outside patio with the fire pits and view. A great getaway.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,192)

Reviewed 16 January 2014

For the 2nd consecutive year Amber & I stayed at the Starr Pass Resort & attended Rick's NYE Jazz Party. This was the 8th year for Rick Braun's NYE Jazz Party. A silent auction for the benefit of Tucson Alliance for Autism began the evening. 500+ jazz lovers enjoyed a 5 course dinner, pre concert music by the Tucson Jazz Institute's Ellington Band & Crystal Stark, great jazz by Rick and his guest Mindi Abair, Norman Brown and Elliott Yamin, a midnight champaign toast & balloon drop and dancing, dancing & more dancing! WOW, what a great evening.
The Starr Pass Resort is an awesome venue located in Tucson's southwest desert. We enjoyed an afternoon in the hot tube and pool and joining with other guest for The Legend of Arriba, Abajo Toast (nightly at 5:30pm @ the fire pit deck).
If you enjoy uptempo live jazz, good food, meeting other jazz lovers and enjoying resort activities during a very cold winter in much of the U.S. you must come to Tucson and experience this great NYE event.
Hope to see you in southern Arizona on Dec 31st, 2014!

Room Tip: Rooms facing south look out over the deck, pool and the desert beyond with a beautiful sunset. North...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SMLeek69
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Does not get any better then this place.
If you enjoy walks, or jogging outside, that is the place for you. Location and views are just breath taking. It is one of the best JW I ever stayed in. Staff, rooms, were perfect.
This place is located outside of the city, so you don't get any city traffic or noise. I would love to go back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for the headline of “This is it”, a short and heartfelt review of the property. It sounds like the perfect escape while you were our guest! Anytime you want to escape the Windy City, Starr Pass will welcome your return!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have stayed here twice, once we held our sales meeting here another for a week long meeting. The property is top notch. Hiking trails are good, can mountain or road bike from here too. Outdoor bar, fire pits are great for a relaxing gathering on a cool night. Breakfast buffet had everything you could want. Only downside is this property is very spread out. Be prepared to walk. Rooms are large and well done.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first floor rooms that look at each other and get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed four nights in January, and really enjoyed our time. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean and beds were comfortable, and quiet on the 8th floor, with a desert view.
I got up early to take the sunrise desert tour on the mountain, and learned a lot of interesting things about the desert plants and animals from our very knowledgeable and awesome guide, "P-Nut." After the tour, we went to the patio to see native American indian, Larry Redhouse and participated in a sunrise ceremony. The sun came up over the mountains during the ceremony, and I can't think of a more beautiful way to start the day. In the evening, I convinced my husband to go with me to take the entire hiking trail, and we even saw several mule deer along the way. We got back in time for tequila toast, on the Salud patio, and heard the bartender tell the story of Pancho Villa and his beloved Juanita. Dinner at Salud was wonderful, with heaters running and the fire pit burring to keep us warm.

I enjoyed a workout and then body massage at the spa. Shower soaps were so wonderful.
It seems that staff is minimal there. One girl at the desk upstairs, and two people downstairs. One mishap: the lockers are easy to use, but at one point, I had trouble and couldn't get mine to open, and not a soul in the locker room area to help me. It was embarrassing that I had to exit the locker room in just my bathrobe and ask the man at the desk to get someone to help. In spite of that, no one came to my aid. It was hard not to panic in the locker room alone, frustrated by not getting to my phone or clothes, so I went into the spa lounge and waited there until my massage. The therapist got someone to get the key to get my locker open.
Overall, it was a wonderful time, beautiful, beautiful scenery, clean place, nice people, and I almost cried when we had to go home.

Room Tip: Get the 8th floor, very quiet! I don't think there's a bad view from anywhere, but a desert...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Weedwacker_11

Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to detail the fabulous amenities of the resort. I could not describe a more perfect getaway while you were our guests! I have communicated to the Hashani Spa Manager about your experience, and she will review our procedures and review if there are any opportunities for improvement. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This hotel does so many things well that the few things they did not do well really stuck out at me. I stayed at this hotel for a conference, and I still cannot believe the conference rate. It was incredibly affordable for such a high quality resort.

The hotel is located on the outskirts of Tucson and is accessible to the city. The resort itself is huge. It has several restaurants on site serving American, Italian, and Mexican cuisine. It has a Starbucks, and the hotel does a great job catering conferences. The hotel also has swimming pools, a spa, an exercise room, tennis courts, and walking/jogging trails. The scenery of the surrounding area is simply beautiful.

I could easily give this hotel a perfect rating if not for a few minor things. First was my check-in experience. When I arrived, one staff member was engaged with a hotel guest. Two others were standing around joking. I stood there waiting along with a man who was on vacation with his 6-year old daughter. As small children often do, she was getting antsy, but I was with her. The staff who were not actively engaged with a customer showed zero concern for their waiting clients. I finally spoke up and asked if we were in the right place for check in. The look on their faces was one of irritation. One of the staff members immediately began the check-in process, but I could tell my forward question aggravated him. He then saw that I was Platinum Premier with Marriott, and he suddenly became a little more courteous. It is really my only bad experience at the hotel, but as a first impression, it was a bad one. A guest who has no status with Marriott should be treated with respect, not just those who have status.

Other areas where I think they could improve are as follows. For such a nice hotel, the exercise room seems small and under-equipped. The rooms all have nice robes in them, but they do not include slippers. The addition of some cheap slippers would be a nice improvement. Finally, I was overwhelmed by their prices. The breakfast buffet was $25. It is a nice buffet, but not that nice. Everything else in the hotel was also very expensive. If someone is staying at the hotel, I recommend getting out to get something to eat.

With the small issues I mentioned, I was still blown away by this hotel. Other than my check-in experience, the staff was incredible. Everyone was friendly to a fault. The hotel was clean and comfortable. My stay was very enjoyable, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest:

Greetings, my name is Chad Lybrook and I am the Guest Relations Manager at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa. Thank you for providing a fair and balanced review , full of strengths and opportunities. I have personally communicated your experience to our Front Office leadership. I apologize for your experience, and appreciate that you have shared about what transpired. Please be assured that your experience is not consistent with the standards of hospitality we strive to uphold at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and Spa. Thank you for the review and we look forward to your return.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for the Winter Wonderland 2013 event. I was very pleased how personal my daughter was treated, being greeted by name on site during our stay by the elves and other staff.The attention to detail was amazing we even had a small decorated tree in our room. Our room was was beautiful and the breakfast with Santa was wonderful. This even went beyond anything I had hoped for and we will be back next year!!! It was worth every penny and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent experience at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa. The 2013 Winter Wonderland Weekend is one of the most exciting events of the year. We look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa.

Warm regards,