“Beautiful Oasis in the Desert”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Beautiful Oasis in the Desert”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at this beautiful resort. The weather was just perfect for some beautiful desert hikes with just stunning cactus everywhere. The hotel itself had such an inviting patio and common areas. It really made you want to come and linger and spend some time in the open areas. To top off this wonderful visit, we had a front desk clerk that just went above and beyond being helpful to us, Antonio Moreno. Each time he saw us, he greeted us like family and asked what else he could do to make us comfortable. He is warm and genuinely interested in our experience. It's employees like Toni that will bring us back again. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel is in an idyllic location: in a mountain pass with thousands of saguaros, and perhaps, some of the most beautiful Sonoran desert in the world. The public spaces take advantage of the great views. The staff is accommodating and southwest friendly. I was there during a large meeting, and the service staff could not keep up. after an hour wait for room service from the Italian restaurant, it was 9:30 PM and walked down to the Southwestern style restaurant to order. To their credit, they delivered within 15 minutes but the hot entrees were cold. (They did comp me). I went to the fancy gym/spa 3 times, and on each occasion the 3 elliptical machines (the only equipment I use because of arthritic knees), they were occupied. I stayed in Marriotts for > 50 nights last year, and the internet at Starr Pass was the most finicky. I know; a small thing, but the alarm went off at 0430 in my first morning and the clock was 14 minutes fast. House keeping should check these things in a $300/night resort. Last, the plumbing "gurgled" all day and night. I had to close the bathroom door to get to sleep. I have to say the managers on duty were very nice; they recognized that the limits were being tested and overextended.I am a Marriot frequent stayer, and the GM gave me 30k points, enough for a free night there. I did attend a private catered dinner while I was there, and the food was fabulous (huge scallops, delicate lamb chops, 20/lb. shrimp)much better than I got from room service. I certainly would go to this place again, but I would not stay if there was a concurrent convention.

Room Tip: The hotel is nicely situated to maximize the views. I had a room facing the front of the property on...
Green Features: I thought they were pretty middle-of-the-road: towels, sheets can be saved.
3 Thank jpointer
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a lovely hotel outside of Tucson, with saguaros surrounding it, and a great view of the city from the patio and pool. You are only 20 minutes from the city but it feels much further away. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was very good at the restaurant. The best part of the hotel is the outside patio with the fire pits and view. A great getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 16 January 2014

For the 2nd consecutive year Amber & I stayed at the Starr Pass Resort & attended Rick's NYE Jazz Party. This was the 8th year for Rick Braun's NYE Jazz Party. A silent auction for the benefit of Tucson Alliance for Autism began the evening. 500+ jazz lovers enjoyed a 5 course dinner, pre concert music by the Tucson Jazz Institute's Ellington Band & Crystal Stark, great jazz by Rick and his guest Mindi Abair, Norman Brown and Elliott Yamin, a midnight champaign toast & balloon drop and dancing, dancing & more dancing! WOW, what a great evening.
The Starr Pass Resort is an awesome venue located in Tucson's southwest desert. We enjoyed an afternoon in the hot tube and pool and joining with other guest for The Legend of Arriba, Abajo Toast (nightly at 5:30pm @ the fire pit deck).
If you enjoy uptempo live jazz, good food, meeting other jazz lovers and enjoying resort activities during a very cold winter in much of the U.S. you must come to Tucson and experience this great NYE event.
Hope to see you in southern Arizona on Dec 31st, 2014!

Room Tip: Rooms facing south look out over the deck, pool and the desert beyond with a beautiful sunset. North...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SMLeek69
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Does not get any better then this place.
If you enjoy walks, or jogging outside, that is the place for you. Location and views are just breath taking. It is one of the best JW I ever stayed in. Staff, rooms, were perfect.
This place is located outside of the city, so you don't get any city traffic or noise. I would love to go back there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for the headline of “This is it”, a short and heartfelt review of the property. It sounds like the perfect escape while you were our guest! Anytime you want to escape the Windy City, Starr Pass will welcome your return!

Kind Regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have stayed here twice, once we held our sales meeting here another for a week long meeting. The property is top notch. Hiking trails are good, can mountain or road bike from here too. Outdoor bar, fire pits are great for a relaxing gathering on a cool night. Breakfast buffet had everything you could want. Only downside is this property is very spread out. Be prepared to walk. Rooms are large and well done.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first floor rooms that look at each other and get a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed four nights in January, and really enjoyed our time. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean and beds were comfortable, and quiet on the 8th floor, with a desert view.
I got up early to take the sunrise desert tour on the mountain, and learned a lot of interesting things about the desert plants and animals from our very knowledgeable and awesome guide, "P-Nut." After the tour, we went to the patio to see native American indian, Larry Redhouse and participated in a sunrise ceremony. The sun came up over the mountains during the ceremony, and I can't think of a more beautiful way to start the day. In the evening, I convinced my husband to go with me to take the entire hiking trail, and we even saw several mule deer along the way. We got back in time for tequila toast, on the Salud patio, and heard the bartender tell the story of Pancho Villa and his beloved Juanita. Dinner at Salud was wonderful, with heaters running and the fire pit burring to keep us warm.

I enjoyed a workout and then body massage at the spa. Shower soaps were so wonderful.
It seems that staff is minimal there. One girl at the desk upstairs, and two people downstairs. One mishap: the lockers are easy to use, but at one point, I had trouble and couldn't get mine to open, and not a soul in the locker room area to help me. It was embarrassing that I had to exit the locker room in just my bathrobe and ask the man at the desk to get someone to help. In spite of that, no one came to my aid. It was hard not to panic in the locker room alone, frustrated by not getting to my phone or clothes, so I went into the spa lounge and waited there until my massage. The therapist got someone to get the key to get my locker open.
Overall, it was a wonderful time, beautiful, beautiful scenery, clean place, nice people, and I almost cried when we had to go home.

Room Tip: Get the 8th floor, very quiet! I don't think there's a bad view from anywhere, but a desert...
1 Thank Weedwacker_11
Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to detail the fabulous amenities of the resort. I could not describe a more perfect getaway while you were our guests! I have communicated to the Hashani Spa Manager about your experience, and she will review our procedures and review if there are any opportunities for improvement. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to your return!

Chad Lybrook