“Words can merely illustrate my grandiose experience at JWM Starr Pass”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I came to Tucson for a personal reflection and individual think tank session and was fortunate enough to have discovered JW Marriott's Starr Pass Resort and Spa. Upon my arrival, I was exhausted and worn, yet the kind-hearted and genuine, Toni Moreno, provided me with one of the warmest welcomes I have experienced at any resort or hotel for that matter. He helped accommodate my stay for the weekend and continued to provide insight of the various activities that he thought might be worthwhile on my stay. I can not wait to explore the wondrously spiritual area of Starr Pass for the next two days. Toni, my friend, I thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Every aspect of our trip was fantastic and our goal was for our son to get to know Tucson and tour the U of Arizona ( Go Wildcats). We checked in very late and were treated exceptionally well.
From the Signature Grill or coffee at Starbucks,Primo or late night drinks and S'mores at Salud by the fire pit. Every member of the staff was exceptional: the valets, front desk, the pool staff , spa staff...and beyond.
The service at the pool was perfect: Andres' was terrific, Toni at the front desk gave awesome restaurant recommendations that are more local establishments than toursit traps. While all the front desk team were super cool Toni...is the guy I see moving up the ladder fast. Mary Ann who is the eyes and ears of the entire facility took the time to speak with us and check on us. When our tour of U of Arizona was over...it seemed the entire staff new our reasoning for being in Tucson. All folllowed by Russ, General Mgr. sending a card to our room detailing congrats to our son on his decision......who does this ? The family of Starr Pass...is who.
I am a huge Ritz Carlton Fan and have stayed at the "other" popular resort in town<LaP>. JW Starr Pass is as good as it gets without the nonsense. Minutes to everything and if you do not have a car...shuttles to everywhere.
We are happy to say after that after day two in Tucson our son committed to U of Arizona. We have made reservations for move in week, parent weekend and beyond.
As long as our son is in Tucson the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa will be our home away from home.

Room Tip: Go for the pool view... the mountains...from sunrise to sunset...wow ! Sit by the pool and have...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Howard B
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The staff and service was exceptional. We played golf on 5 different courses in Tucson but the Marriott was our base. We spent most late afternoons on their bar patio. All food, mostly snacks, was really good. Try the hot dog sliders! Rooms were very nice with great views. Good location for all our running around. Last evening at their grill. Nice last dinner. Their course grill for dinner, Catalina was terrible. Rib eye steaks were crappy meat, bad tasting whether done rare, medium rare or well.
Courses were very challenging, but enjoyed!
We all liked it very much

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This morning my family had breakfast at the Signature Grill. Everyone was very nice although the staff was probably tired from working at the restaurant the day and night before accommodating the Valentine's day crowd. Max was our server and he is definitely a STAR! Max is very nice, very professional, and provides extraordinary service! Our food was very good, but Max definitely made our breakfast even more enjoyable with his kindness and attention to detail. Thank you Signature Grill and especially thank you Max for a lovely breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We checked in at the front desk with Jude. That got us off on a great start. He was kind, courteous and reviewed all the dining, recreation and spa facilities. As others have reviewed the staff at this JW are outstanding. The only other feature that comes close is the location of this JW. If you don't embrace the desert scenery you will come to love it. The hotel is spacious, luxurious, vibrant yet serene. We have stayed a JW Marriott's in Maui, Chicago, Santa Monica, San Francisco and more but there is no question this is the most all encompassing property we have stayed at. We woke up to the sun rising on a hill of dessert scenery. It was quiet yet there were many going out the door for a morning of exploring the trails across from the hotel. The other side of the hotel faces the pool and beyond. Both are fabulous views. I would be happy with both possibilities. Te food options were excellent. The room service was excellent. The only sad part of our stay was we had to leave and that really did make me sad. I would return to this JW in a heart beat.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The resort is located about 15 minutes from the Tucson Airport. Easily accessed by car service for $40 to $45. I do recommend a car service because a taxi is about the same price and its always nice to have someone waiting to whisk you away to a beautiful resort. The resort offers beautiful scenery, world class golf, serene pool, relaxing lazy river, world class food, and superb customer service. I traveled here for a business trip which was handled very well by the hotel staff. My stay was extended due to a winter storm shutting down the east coast hubs and I was happy to be stuck in a wonderful environment. This would be my go to place to stay in Tucson. It is a great place for business meetings, romantic getaway, or family vacation. I will be coming back.

Room Tip: Get a room with a nice view of the City of Tucson overlooking the pool area. Some rooms do look out...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This review is long over-due. My stay at the Starr Pass has been weekly since last Oct. Resort features include a Spa, Lap Pool, 2 swimming pools, the lazy river and a spacious, well equipped fitness center, several restaurants.. In my time I experienced nothing but the highest levels of service, and accommodation. Additionally, I have observed the same level of treatment to every guest regardless of length of stay, status, etc. The Staff are incredible with a few becoming friends whose life has become part of mine. The are both professional (regardless what that means) including a great sense of pride and pleasure in serving. Some staff are pretty entertaining if engaged. It's not a stuffy group. :-D
There are a wide variety of room sizes and incredible views. Rooms are spacious, well maintained and meet the multi-media needs of the most demanding techno-geek (I am one). I have stayed as Diamond in HiIton at HGVC properties, Resort of Phucket,, Hiltons all over and Ritz-Carlton as (Platinum Elite). The Starr Pass location, rooms and facility on are par with any of these other properties, but the human factor of this property is the brightest star.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing downtown Tucson overlooking the gold course with morning For a more secluded fe...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business