“Beautiful and relaxing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hooksett, New Hampshire
“Beautiful and relaxing”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was traveling to AZ from NH to support my son's lacrosse team. Wanted to take time to enjoy myself while visiting and remembered the Starr Pass being a beautiful resort. I had drinks there years ago. This was my opportunity to enjoy! Right from the start, Victor took care of us. My online reservation made weeks prior was not complete for some reason and we didn't have a room booked. My paper copy showed my intent. Victor assured me immediately that he would find us a room, and he did! The balcony view was amazing and the room was comfortable as well as beautiful. It was a little windy to enjoy the fire pits that night but we sat for a few minutes. The food and drinks were excellent as well. The pools were inviting, the grounds beautiful. Our whole experience was welcoming and accommodating, not stuffy as I thought it could be. The staff was genuine and helpful. Enjoyed the pitchers of flavored water in the reception area. Unfortunately, we only stayed one night. I will return.

Room Tip: balcony overlooking the pool, great sunset!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

M family (all adults 25-35 yrs old) and I really enjoyed our stay at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and I would highly recommend it for business or pleasure. The amenities and hotel exceeded expectations. The pools and lazy river are very nice and not over crowded even though the hotel was near capacity (per the staff). The staff were amazing from check-in to check-out and very accommodating of any request. I look forward to my next stay at Starr Pass!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank GlobalMiz
Phoenix
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Starting with our arrival, our valet, Victor, was amazing. He was quick, polite, and showed a genuine interest in our satisfaction. Our check in went smoothly and we were unpacking a few minutes later. Night caps at Salud were delicious as well. We ordered room service and it arrived promptly. The creme brulee was awesome. Or stay was fantastic and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2014
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Good size room, wonderful view, quiet despite being the hotel being busy, lovely lobby area and active firepit/bar area all made this place a winner. Great location for desert walks, and maps available. Invariably helpful staff. Food was OK if inconsistent - some meals better than others, but there is plenty of choice.
We used the driving range, and golf clubs were free to guests - nice touch. Pool was pleasant too.
We did have a little bother checking in with regard to what we had asked for, but by the third room it was all sorted out.
Some rooms overlook the firepits and bar area, and we were happy to find that noise was not an issue with the window closed, in fact we ended up enjoying seeing how lively the bar was, and looking out at Tucson at night.
Don't expect to shop there, and the spa looked uninviting.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chwarae422
Wakefield, MA
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a beautiful place. The staff at the restaurants and front desk deserve a sixth star. The concierges were awesome. Very warm and genuine, and the overnight front desk staff who are there until 8 AM are fantastic.

I would love it, though, if the trails for walking behind the property were a bit more clearly marked (you can quickly find yourself walking on the golf course rather than the walking paths) and that the unpaved trails around the hills out the front of the hotel were better marked. I never found the Lorraine Lee trail based on the instructions from one of the desk staff and had to come back. Bummer.

The gym needs a bit of an upgrade. And big pet peeve: if a running machine is broken, PUT A SIGN ON IT. I watched five people in the course of 20 minutes get up on the broken treadmill, get ready to run, and then realize it wasn't working. You don't want to see how frustrated people look at that moment, and how that accrues to the Marriott brand. Also no towels there when I got there one morning. A lot of people are there for conferences, and you have to expect a full house by 5 AM at a hotel gym.

If you are staying here, get a cab and go out to the Sonora Desert Museum. It costs about $25 each way. Such an amazing place.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room overlooking the golf course and the lazy river.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I decided to spend a quiet evening together and go out to dinner for something different that has always been excellent food and outstanding service. We asked to sit by the window at the Signature Grill and the hostess was very accommodating. Our favorite waiter, JB, was our server and he remembered us although we hadn't been there recently. He made sure I received special treatment in choosing my dinner because I have a wheat and gluten allergy. We both started with a glass of wine to relax and enjoy the city view. Our bus server was also very attentive and while he brought an appetizer that had gluten for my husband, he offered something for me. JB made the night very special and even suggested I call ahead next time for a special gluten free dessert. We highly recommend the Signature Grill and will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Let me begin by saying that prior to check in, I had experienced terrible customer service at the Omni Tucson (We'll save that review for somewhere else). So I began to feel cursed when I checked into this hotel at midnight and walked clear across the resort only to find the key to my room didn't work. BUT BOY did the service I receive after that make up for it! All of the staff here is very friendly and the spa at this place is phenomenal! Raymond from room service rushed a key to me that night I checked in so I didn't have to walk across the resort back to the front desk. Later, he had the front desk send me a personalized card with fruit and wine as a formal apology of sorts (it was a very nice touch). All in all the staff here is exceptional and I will be making the JW my preferred hotel while in Tucson.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the rest of the resort as this will promise amazing views of the city and s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business