“Amazing property with excellent service”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have stayed here several times. Each time has been excellent. The attentive staff make every accomodation a pleasure. I recommend the spa, it is not grand but not tiny either and again the service is spectacular. When the whether is nice (most of the time) the back patio/extended bar area is a great place to relax and chat with a drink and a friend. There are two resaurants on site and the more expensive of the two (can't remember the name) is not to be missed. Even if formal isn't your thing, you must simply stop by for coffee and dessert because the Zeppole is out of this world - with a capital OUT!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,189)

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was traveling to AZ from NH to support my son's lacrosse team. Wanted to take time to enjoy myself while visiting and remembered the Starr Pass being a beautiful resort. I had drinks there years ago. This was my opportunity to enjoy! Right from the start, Victor took care of us. My online reservation made weeks prior was not complete for some reason and we didn't have a room booked. My paper copy showed my intent. Victor assured me immediately that he would find us a room, and he did! The balcony view was amazing and the room was comfortable as well as beautiful. It was a little windy to enjoy the fire pits that night but we sat for a few minutes. The food and drinks were excellent as well. The pools were inviting, the grounds beautiful. Our whole experience was welcoming and accommodating, not stuffy as I thought it could be. The staff was genuine and helpful. Enjoyed the pitchers of flavored water in the reception area. Unfortunately, we only stayed one night. I will return.

Room Tip: balcony overlooking the pool, great sunset!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

M family (all adults 25-35 yrs old) and I really enjoyed our stay at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and I would highly recommend it for business or pleasure. The amenities and hotel exceeded expectations. The pools and lazy river are very nice and not over crowded even though the hotel was near capacity (per the staff). The staff were amazing from check-in to check-out and very accommodating of any request. I look forward to my next stay at Starr Pass!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank GlobalMiz
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Starting with our arrival, our valet, Victor, was amazing. He was quick, polite, and showed a genuine interest in our satisfaction. Our check in went smoothly and we were unpacking a few minutes later. Night caps at Salud were delicious as well. We ordered room service and it arrived promptly. The creme brulee was awesome. Or stay was fantastic and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Good size room, wonderful view, quiet despite being the hotel being busy, lovely lobby area and active firepit/bar area all made this place a winner. Great location for desert walks, and maps available. Invariably helpful staff. Food was OK if inconsistent - some meals better than others, but there is plenty of choice.
We used the driving range, and golf clubs were free to guests - nice touch. Pool was pleasant too.
We did have a little bother checking in with regard to what we had asked for, but by the third room it was all sorted out.
Some rooms overlook the firepits and bar area, and we were happy to find that noise was not an issue with the window closed, in fact we ended up enjoying seeing how lively the bar was, and looking out at Tucson at night.
Don't expect to shop there, and the spa looked uninviting.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chwarae422
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a beautiful place. The staff at the restaurants and front desk deserve a sixth star. The concierges were awesome. Very warm and genuine, and the overnight front desk staff who are there until 8 AM are fantastic.

I would love it, though, if the trails for walking behind the property were a bit more clearly marked (you can quickly find yourself walking on the golf course rather than the walking paths) and that the unpaved trails around the hills out the front of the hotel were better marked. I never found the Lorraine Lee trail based on the instructions from one of the desk staff and had to come back. Bummer.

The gym needs a bit of an upgrade. And big pet peeve: if a running machine is broken, PUT A SIGN ON IT. I watched five people in the course of 20 minutes get up on the broken treadmill, get ready to run, and then realize it wasn't working. You don't want to see how frustrated people look at that moment, and how that accrues to the Marriott brand. Also no towels there when I got there one morning. A lot of people are there for conferences, and you have to expect a full house by 5 AM at a hotel gym.

If you are staying here, get a cab and go out to the Sonora Desert Museum. It costs about $25 each way. Such an amazing place.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room overlooking the golf course and the lazy river.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I decided to spend a quiet evening together and go out to dinner for something different that has always been excellent food and outstanding service. We asked to sit by the window at the Signature Grill and the hostess was very accommodating. Our favorite waiter, JB, was our server and he remembered us although we hadn't been there recently. He made sure I received special treatment in choosing my dinner because I have a wheat and gluten allergy. We both started with a glass of wine to relax and enjoy the city view. Our bus server was also very attentive and while he brought an appetizer that had gluten for my husband, he offered something for me. JB made the night very special and even suggested I call ahead next time for a special gluten free dessert. We highly recommend the Signature Grill and will be back soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple