“Impressive and Beautiful Resort”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have come to expect excellence from Marriott and this property is no exception. We stayed only one night, and we requested connecting rooms. Most hotels will not guarantee connecting rooms, but assure they will do "their best." And most hotels' best often disappoint. Not here. While there was a slight hiccup, they found connecting rooms for us immediately and waived the resort fee as a consideration of the minor inconvenience of not having the rooms we had requested on the same floor as the friends we were traveling with.

The rooms are large and very nicely done. Like most hotels these days, the beds have duvets, which are too warm for my comfort. One call to guest services and ten minutes later my bed was re-made with just a blanket. Our location was on the ground floor near one section of the pool area. Expecting to sleep in a little, I worried about the noise. No problem. The rooms are pretty "sound tight."

We had both dinner and breakfast in the Signature Cafe, which is the main restaurant in the building. The food and service was excellent in both cases, and the selection was good.

What impressed and disappointed me most was how beautiful the hotel is. The views are wonderful. I was so impressed with the feel of the place, I was very disappointed that we weren't staying longer. I am resolved to return for a longer stay, including a chance to enjoy the spa.

Room Tip: I assume higher rooms offer better views, but I'm guessing every room is equally comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RiScoRick
Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Just had a great time overall. I believe his name was Vincent who checked my and another family traveling with us in. He was very helpful in arranging things so that our rooms were closer together. In doing so he was kind enough to upgrade my family to a very large suite. I travel a lot, and receive frequent perks, but I am now only silver with Marriott, so I did not expect this.
Rooms were as expected for a Marriott, clean and comfortable. The suite we had was very spacious and had a huge balcony. Nice views also.
This property is similar to Desert Ridge, and San Antonio, all beautiful locations. The people here were fantastic! Very kind, very helpful, each and every one of them. Management is doing something right. The only person who showed disinterest, was at the onsite Italian restaurant. We had no reservation, but it was slow. she simply stated an hour wait, and walked away. Well ok, we went to Signature and had a good time.
I would and will definitely come back, and will recommend it to our meeting planners for our national sales meeting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Reefbreak
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This place is amazing from the service, the rooms, the sites, the restaurants, pools and the entire experience. I stayed here on business and the staff was very courteous. the breakfast buffet was great and the bar over looking the city at night was unbelievable with the fire pit and comfortable chairs after a long day is a great way to unwind. Be sure to be there at 5:00pm everyday for the story of Pancho Villa that is told by one of the staff members - its a great story and you are encouraged to celebrate that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has the city view with a balcony its truly amazing at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa was the perfect escape from the long, cold winter. The spa was fabulous. Terry gave the perfect massage, she really listens and Karen gave a fabulous facial, especially for someone like me with sensitive skin. Thanks ladies.
Everyone at the resort was wonderful and took such good care of us. But the biggest kudos go out to Chasity who took such good care of us during lunch and Max who spoiled us at breakfast. Thanks again you two...what fun you were! The girls are talking about making this an annual escape from the cold....I highly recommend it.
Sue from Chiberia (Ha)

Room Tip: Rooms above the spa pool are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have stayed here several times. Each time has been excellent. The attentive staff make every accomodation a pleasure. I recommend the spa, it is not grand but not tiny either and again the service is spectacular. When the whether is nice (most of the time) the back patio/extended bar area is a great place to relax and chat with a drink and a friend. There are two resaurants on site and the more expensive of the two (can't remember the name) is not to be missed. Even if formal isn't your thing, you must simply stop by for coffee and dessert because the Zeppole is out of this world - with a capital OUT!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was traveling to AZ from NH to support my son's lacrosse team. Wanted to take time to enjoy myself while visiting and remembered the Starr Pass being a beautiful resort. I had drinks there years ago. This was my opportunity to enjoy! Right from the start, Victor took care of us. My online reservation made weeks prior was not complete for some reason and we didn't have a room booked. My paper copy showed my intent. Victor assured me immediately that he would find us a room, and he did! The balcony view was amazing and the room was comfortable as well as beautiful. It was a little windy to enjoy the fire pits that night but we sat for a few minutes. The food and drinks were excellent as well. The pools were inviting, the grounds beautiful. Our whole experience was welcoming and accommodating, not stuffy as I thought it could be. The staff was genuine and helpful. Enjoyed the pitchers of flavored water in the reception area. Unfortunately, we only stayed one night. I will return.

Room Tip: balcony overlooking the pool, great sunset!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

M family (all adults 25-35 yrs old) and I really enjoyed our stay at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and I would highly recommend it for business or pleasure. The amenities and hotel exceeded expectations. The pools and lazy river are very nice and not over crowded even though the hotel was near capacity (per the staff). The staff were amazing from check-in to check-out and very accommodating of any request. I look forward to my next stay at Starr Pass!

Stayed: March 2014