“couples? family? business?”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“couples? family? business?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We wanted a resort as a base to explore Tucson and from the web site this one looked great-- pools, some highly rated restaurant options for eating "in" after a day of exploring, great grounds. We were somewhat worried when we checked in to see the enormous number of conference attendees milling about.I am happy to say however that somehow this resort caters to all three groups at a high level. As a casual couples traveler I was very happy with this experience. The resort is however HUGE-- if you decide to self park you do walk several blocks which was fine once you planned for this. If you have issues you can decide to pay for valet parking.
The fact that the entire hotel is non smoking was a plus for us-- however apparently they do allow smoking outside as we saw several groups of smokers congregated around the outside of the restaurants and pools with ashtrays provided.
Grounds are lovely-- view was awesome. Lots of wildlife to see including in the mornings-- groups of javelinas on the grounds, lots of deer and assorted birds and I was so fortunate to see a Bobcat hunting quail on the golf course right as the sun comes up ( they are nocturnal so you have to get up early)--- and clearly Bobcats are a very different species than cougars!-- so no danger -- just amazing views of the wildness that is the Sonoran desert.
We went hiking up the trail that is right by the resort-- great 1.5 mile hike to see the Saguaro and other desert features. it was lovely to have iced, flavored water in the lobby--- nice touch

The rooms were very clean and comfortable-- linens of high quality. The noise level was low-- we unfortunately had some very noisy kids next to us one night and just about to call the front desk when they stopped screaming and jumping off the bed. Other nights really quiet and you can find rude guests anywhere-- not a problem with the resort except that they do get lots of families due to the wonderful pool slide and floating pool. It was generally delightful to see the kids having fun with their families and being outside.

For a resort of this level I would anticipate a morning coffee service--- there is a Starbucks and $3 for a coffee is no big deal if one can afford to stay here but it was unusual for a resort of this level to not have morning coffee service in the lobby. Also no afternoon turn down service--- which again we rarely use anyway at other similar resorts but if you need your trash emptied or more towels you can call. The staff was very helpful -- especially the front desk and restaurant staff. This is not a Four Seasons where EVERY staff member acknowledges you-- I had some frowns from the pool cleaners on my early morning walk and I sure wasn't in their way--- funny vibes from housekeeping staff. I think there is a management opportunity here to have all staff on board with hospitality and it makes me wonder if the staff are "well treated" or trained? But again minor minor overall to the experience --

Overall I would definitely come back here -- for the view, for the proximity to good walking/hikes, for the in resort food. I was hoping for more "activities" but you can find those on your own.

Our room was clean. Some issues with general up keep-- I noted a piece of trash in the hallway was there for the entire four nights of our stay--- right in the middle of the hall was a plastic straw which stayed there despite daily room cleaning. Some of the bathrooms downstairs which clean in some areas -- were not so clean on the walls... which makes you wonder...

Room Tip: avoid the rooms overlooking the pool or bar which can be incredibly noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaurettaYoung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a large conference oriented hotel in an isolated part of Tucson. This is not an issue if you plan to stay the entire time at the resort; but if you venture out to eat, tour or shop it is about a 30 minute drive. The hotel has great staff, great rooms, and the facilities include very nice pools a golf course, hiking trails, and spa. The outdoor amenities also include numerous fire pits, dining, and rooms with balconies. One of the unique features of the hotel is a morning Indian ritual which I highly recommend. What I don't recommend is the food. All the meals had a high price, nice presentation; but were lacking in quality. I have never had such bad meals at a Marriott as I did at Starr Pass. After day two I started having breakfast and lunch at the on site Starbucks and going off site for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony
Green Features: This hotel appears to be a green property and environmentally friendly
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank riceland
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here on business for three days. It's near an air force base of sorts, so there are occasional military planes/helicopters flying overhead, but other than this, it is very peaceful; you can't hear the highway from the resort.

The resort experience is alive and well here; it is away from the town and roads. From what I heard from those who explored the town in rental cars, this is a good thing - it sounded like there was some criminal activity in the area. Options for activity on the premises include pool and fire pit activities, spa, stargazing at night, animal watching during the day, golfing, and hiking at the nearby trails. There are also a couple of on-site restaurants; the food at our conference meals was good-to-great, depending on what you had. The hiking was great - the desert weather truly is perfect hiking weather. The stargazing was wonderful - the skies are so clear, it's easy to wile away the time, lost in the stars.

The suite was clean, spacious, and nicely furnished. There is a sofa, desk, flat screen television, mini fridge, coffeemaker with water and a small selection of coffees and teas, two queen beds, an iron and ironing board and hairdryer; the bathroom was great. It had a separate shower and tub, and ample vanity; lots of mirrors in and outside of the bathroom. My upper-level room had its own balcony overlooking the resort's promenade and a mountain and gully. I got a great view of a large group of mule deer coming down the mountain and into the gulley to eat one morning; a nice surprise, and so peaceful to simply sit and watch them eat the shrubs.

The entire resort was very spacious, clean, and elegant. The staff was almost exceedingly pleasant. I can't think of a single negative thing about my stay - it was a great site.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing the pool area. A colleague had a room on the first floor facing the po...
Green Features: They had recycling bins on the premises, signs about re-using towels, and warnings about not drinking or bathing in the [repurposed?] water.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Great location, huge hotel, rooms getting a bit worn out and bathroom need a little remodeling.

Main pool area has become a party area for adults. Large groups hanging out in pool while drinking. I am surprised the hotel would allow glass containers in the pool or poolside. There was some suggestive sexual behavior that was not appropriate for children or other guests to see.

Most guests use fire pits to cook s'mores as a family activity and adults may bring a beverage from the bar. The 3 fire pits are located adjacent to the bar. There is no glass partition separating the bar from the fire pits.

Thy bar patrons consider part of the bar. The families consider a outside fire pit to cook s'mores. There is tension and stern looks when the children are near the fire pits. Thy hotel needs to set the boundaries and decide if the fire pits are part of the bar. If so, place signs up stating children are not allowed.

Great service from waitstaff by the lazy river.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms end in 85-93
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gerry H
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Mr. Gerry:

Thank you for taking time to review your latest experience at the resort. We sincerely value your personalized perspective on your experience, and express regret that your recent stay did not exceed expectations. We strive to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests; and like you, I am disappointed with the shortcomings in your experience. We are taking appropriate steps to address the concerns noted in your review. Thank you for allowing us to learn about your experience. If I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was here on business for more than just a few days. The rooms are comfortable. I have had a room with the view of the city and the mountain and I cannot complain about either one. Big bed, Big TV, nice bathroom in each room. The gym is good. The front desk folks are really friendly and helpful (Cole, Jude, Kathryn, Jorge and Paul the night audit). The Restaurant is not very good. The food quality does not meet the price they charge. I expected a $30 meal, but instead it tasted like $10. Alanya the waitress, is very nice though.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jheroe
tucson,az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had not stayed here in a couple of years and decided to return. We were not disappointed. As adults looking for a quiet experience, we have learned that midweek visits are best to avoid the noisy unruly children. As elite members we had access to the spa which was a beautiful and tranquil. The service seems to have improved with friendlier staff. The Salud lounge is a favorite spot and Carlos, the manager oversees every detail. No matter how busy they are, the service is
excellent and most pleasant.

One bit of constructive criticism is the check in process. They had a big conference and only two people at the front desk and there is not elite check in. This will not work if they want to attract conferences.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lounge are noisier.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

This resort is simply top notch in just about every regard. All the staff seemed friendly and services provided are all excellent (they even have a Starbucks)! I've stayed here twice but was only able to visit the resort's restaurant the signature grill on my latest visit as my I was there strictly on business my first visit.

But WOW! I absolutely love this restaurant. Excellent food (organic, cage free, ect...) and outstanding service. Our server Chastity was exceptionally knowledgable of all the menu selections and had a cheerful and friendly attitude.

I found out that room service is catered by the signature grill so of course I ordered from my room the following night. The service we were provided by room service simply blew me out of the water. Our server Raymond provided the same caliber of excellence we got from the dining room. He was very speedy - a huge plus for any room service. He was also able to answer all of my husbands questions about the wines on the menu that the phone operator could not and likewise had a pleasant and friendly demeanor.

Overall, this resort has amazing folks on staff and there is so much more reason to stay there than just the restaurant. I didn't even mention the pool, spa, golf or hiking! But instead of writing a book long review, I'll say this - Just Go!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple