“Don't stay here-horrible customer service”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
denver
“Don't stay here-horrible customer service”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

My husband travels more than he is home, and we have always been loyal to Marriott Hotels, even if it means traveling a little further. Unfortunately our most recent stay at JW Marriott, Starr Pass in Tucson has been so awful that we're re-thinking our loyalty. From poor service at check-in, to bad service at Plunge, to a totally inappropriate "Nick" dive-in movie that advertised itself to the spongebob/dora crowd, this hotel has been one disappointment after another. We've had problems with check-in/internet access, gold member services, it's been one hassle after another. We'll look at other hotels before we book another Marriott stay, forget about the points!

Hide

3 Thank Sciavo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
Connecticut
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I have flown over 3,000,000 miles in my career, staying at the finest resorts in the U.S. and internationally. In my whole life, I have never had quite the experience that we had this past week on our family vacation at this property.This must be the jewel in the crown of the entire Marriott Corporation. Moreoever, if there is a better family vacation destination resort anywhere on earth, I am not aware of it. I am obsessed with personal hygiene, and, the shower water pressure was better than any other property I have ever stayed at. The property itself is METICULOUSLY maintained, and, the staff went over the wall, day in and day out, to provide indescribably incredible service. There is not enough space here to say all that we loved about this vacation, but, the scenery is beyond belief beautiful; the pools are all warm and heated; the spa is beautiful; activities for "tweener" age kids like ours was perfect ( horseback riding, waterslide, "lazy river", gorgeous heated pools ( multiple), hot air ballooning, mountain biking, Biosphere 2, Air & Space Museum, hiking/petroglyphs, golf, etc.). Golf courses were spectacular - all 3 associated with the property. Concierge Ashley Johnson was superb, and, again, simply unbelievable. Glenda in the Signature Grill - unbelievable. One caveat: While the property has a steady and consistent restaurant choice for breakfast and lunch, make sure that you have a rental car and make reservations for dinner off the premises every single night that you are there - dinner options downtown in Tucson are an effort to get to - but - way better than anything this property has to offer. We did not use the Plunge or Salud ( and so I cannot fairly comment on these); however, while the Signature Grill was truly exceptional for breakfast ( especially), and, lunch, it was pretty poor for dinner. The more upscale restaurant on this property, "PRIMO", was anything but, and, we left there feeling literally violated/robbed/taken advantage of. The quality was exceptionally POOR, and service was equally indifferent and poor ( rude), and, the prices really, really arrogantly/obscenely overpriced, especially in light of what one gets. I would avoid wasting my time and/or money there. Separately, while the property's barbecue restaurant's menu and food were actually quite good, it seemed much more like a very seedy honky-tonk, crowded with drunken, loud patrons ( who all seemed to be locals rather than hotel guests), and, there was a horribly loud band playing country western music - so loud that we could not even hear our own conversation. I had to get up from my table twice to ask a couple of drunks to stop their obscenities near our table - very unpleasant experience aside from the food. Room service was exceptional in terms of service, but, really, really poor in terms of selection/menu - really bad. Had we simply made reservations off the property for our dinners, this would have been the perfect vacation, and, even with this mistake, it was pretty incredible anyway. Tennis was problematic, in that there ARE courts, but, the activities there do not seem to be supported aggressively ( no pros/lessons/ball machines), and, the excercise room is as basic as it gets - if you are concerned about working out a lot and/or playing tennis, I would probably strongly advise against this property.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Loved this resort. The views are gorgeous. The staff was fabulous. Hiking trails right out the door. Fitness center was very good. Pools were very nice. Rooms are fine - ask for one with a real balcony (some just have a slider that open). The ONLY problem was that we were awakened at 6:15 am & 6:30 am on 2 of the 3 mornings we stayed here because the young children in a room adjacent to ours started screaming at the top of their lungs - not your basic crying - screaming.... Very unfortunate as this was a getaway and we would have liked to sleep past our normal time to awaken for work (this was vacation - after all!) Really nice bathroom with a soaking tub - bonus!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 March 2010

I was very excited to stay at the JW Marriott in Tucson. The hotel is definitely one of the most beautiful that I've ever stayed in, but shortly after check in, the disappointment set in. Without making this review 5 pages long, I'll give you the highlights (or should I say low lights) of my stay.

Within two hours of checking in, my colleague was stung in the face by a scorpion that was rolled up in a towel. He ran to get help, but there was no sense of urgency from the staff. Several people were called--loss prevention, security, attendant--but no one knew what to do or how to treat it. Thank God another guest was around and advised him to call poison control. The hotel had no procedure in place to deal with what I would think is a fairly common issue in the desert. An incident report was not filed, and no one from the hotel followed up with him to make sure he was okay.

That was the first issue. Since my colleague was not feeling well after the sting, we ate pretty much all of the meals at the hotel. Big mistake. The service was absolutely horrible, and the restaurants were not busy. We waited to get served, our food always came out wrong (under-cooked, incorrect side dish, missing dressing, etc...), and then we'd have to wait for the check (usually asking several times.) One night we waited for over 30 minutes for the bill. Finally we just told the hostess we were leaving and provided our room number.

Thank goodness I was not paying for the hotel with my own money or I would have raised quite a fuss. At $300/night (off peak rate), I would have expected a much higher level of service. Next time I return to Tucson, I will be staying at a discount hotel which, for a third of the price, gets me a free breakfast each morning and complimentary internet.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Buckleydawg
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Overall this was an enjoyable destination for business meetings. It is a bit out of the way but the area is beautiful and the Rresort features are very nice. The rooms were large, as were the bathrooms and very clean. My main issue as a business traveler was that room service stops at 11 PM and there was no food available for us after our late arrival. Additionally, there is a gap between lunch and dinner that only a very limited menu is available at the bar. This doesn't seem right for a large resort that claims to be full service.

1 Thank jakeiszues
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I came here on business and albeit I am platinum with them checked into my room. The AC was not working properly and I did have an issue with one person who was rude. After speaking with the manager everything was resolved them moved me to a beautiful room with magnificent view. Food was interesting and very good as was service. I will go back and stay again! This would be ideal for a romantic getaway, destination wedding or reunion. It is a resort so if you don't have transportation plan to do everything there. They have a spa, workout facilities, restaurants, golf, hiking trails, biking trails, pools, and plenty to do! I rarely sleep like a log but this is one of the few places I was so at peace that I got a great night's sleep!

1 Thank Geekontherun
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 15 February 2010

What a wonderful hotel - the staff is amazing and bent over backwards to make sure our stay was the best it could be. Great pool, love the patio in the evening. Try the gilato in Primo's.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends