“A taste of Guatemala”

Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, South American, Guatemalan
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I lived in Guatemala and enjoyed the traditional food prepared at this restaurant, which is distinctly different from Mexican fare. We found the chicken pepian quite "sabroso" (tasty) and had the tamale negro for desert. The desert was interesting and we liked it but the taste of chocolate bits and butterscotch sauce were overwhelmed by the heaviness of the masa. The restaurant is small (maybe 10 tables) and the atmosphere is basic, which fits the typical Guatemalan restaurant style.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Wish we would have gone anywhere else! We arrived at 6:30 and there was only one other couple in the place. Our waitress seemed like it was a chore to give us water, menus and chips. The tablecloth was very dirty, food was bland and we had very rude service. We ordered a pitcher of sangria that was OK but we got only two glasses from it since it was filled to the top with ice!
All in all, it is a place I will never go to again.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Lots of vegetarian options, great traditional Guatemalan drinks such as hibiscus. I went in a large group, and we were served promptly--we did have a reservation! This is a great place to try some traditional Guatemalan food. The fried plantains are delicious!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

This little spot on 4th Ave features Guatemalan food. Our daughter didn't want to go in because it seemed too much like the Mexican we'd been eating in Tucson. But she and all of us were pleased. Rich interesting flavors. We're vegetarian and they had plenty for us. I particularly liked a dish of deep-fried plantain balls with mole sauce and the accompanying cabbage wit spicy vinaigrette.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Excellent food, great service and great location. I had the Pollo de Jacon (I hope I spelled that correctly). It was delicious, the chicken was so tender and to drink I had the Limonada and that was really refreshing. My daughter recommended this restaurant to me, she went every night of her stay in Tucson and I am going back for more as well. This place is a must if you're in the area and they are open all day and into the night.