“disappointing”

Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, South American, Guatemalan
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I used to like this place, but my latest visit was nothing short of horrible. The service was sullen and slow (despite us being the only paying patrons there). The entrees were unremarkable and the dessert (flan) was rubbery and cloying -- and seriously pre-made (as in, frozen recently). The sangria was basically Boone's Farm with canned fruit in it. Atmosphere? My partner and I felt as if we were annoying the staff by taking time away from their family, who had come in and taken over a back table (including a cute little girl, who unfortunately had a loud Disney-princess game playing on her iPad).

Don't send your money here. Many other local businesses that deserve your support.

1  Thank ChrisHB68

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We've been to Maya Quetzal maybe 5 or 6 times now and we always like it. It's a cut above the standard Mexican/Sonoran fare so common in Tucson, and despite other reviews here, I find the service friendly and efficient, though not speedy - this IS a Central American restaurant, after all, and they cook everything to order. The pupusas are a particular favorite as is the stuffed pepper. If you're a vegetarian, as one of us is, there are good choices.

I'm hoping I can continue eating here for some time to come.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

There's nothing wrong with this place if you like Guatemalan food. I've spent lots of time in Guatemala and I've never been a real fan of their traditional cuisine. Maya Quetzal does a good job of serving pretty authentic Guatemalan fare, It's worth a try.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Went with the wife. We are always looking for different stuff to eat. Very Vegan and Vegetarian friendly! I had two different Mole dishes. One was an entre and the other a dessert, both were truly exceptional! Not a very romantic looking place, but lots of locals there on date night!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This place is a dump. We visited twice with our Groupons, and both experiences were identical.

We did the lunch thing, and on both occasions, we were the only customers. The word must have gone out on the street.

The appetizer quesadillas were nice, but the menu items we chose were unattractive and tasteless.

We were served, but the services was nothing short of graceless. The waitress was very abrupt and obviously had better things to do than look after us as she did all her serving with a cell phone glued to her ear.

Never again.