“Hurts to be honest”

The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn
Ranked #10 of 45 Tucson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Sometimes you want so badly to write a glowing review, especially when you get a chance to visit with the charming people that run the B&B, but in all fairness I have to report OUR experiences as they happened and not as I wished they would have been.

First of all, let me focus on the wonderful things about this inn. The location is absolutely perfect. We were able to dine and shop on funky 4th Ave., visit the open-air bars in the university district, and attend UA football, all within suitable walking distance. Leah makes the most delicious breakfast in the morning and we loved the intimate dining area. We enjoyed sitting on the rockers on the wraparound porch and having Laslo, the cat purring in my lap. (More on Laslo later).

Leah escorted us up the stairway to our room, #6 "Uncle Dukes" room. We knew each room had a private bath, unfortunately it's not mentioned that it is across the hall not en-suite, requiring entering a common area to use the facility. We would have preferred to know that before hand as we would definately had chosen a different room.

The spacious room was charmingly decorated in antiques, but all we could focus on was the filthy stained rug centered on the crumb-studded hardwood floors, the torn bed ensemble, and the once-pretty peach sheets that had mottled platter-sized bleach-stains all over them. When you encounter these things in the beginning, then you start adding up the other failings: coffee maker but no pot or coffee for that matter; drawers that had crumbs and "things" left behind; water cooler that only dispensed hot water, not chilled; electrical outlet with no cover, leaving exposed wires; no soap even though there was an empty dispenser sitting by the sink for 3 days. All giving the feeling of neglect and kind of leaves you a "creepy" feeling that it hadn't been cleaned since the last guest check out. About Laslo (we are most assuredly cat-lovers, sharing our home with 2 felines) although he is a sweet cat, he obviously has peed in the entry and possibly in our private bathroom upstairs as the distinct odor was very prominent in both places during our stay.

It doesn't please me to point out these things because I truly believe that the owners care deeply about this place and are doing the best they can. However guests have a right to expect cleanliness and a well-maintained room.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may want a room on the front or right side of the house and to run t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CouleeCat
WestU, Owner at The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Your review has caused us to take a good look at that particular room and take action to correct several items that needed attention. It is reviews like this that are the most valuable to us as they prevent making similar mistakes. Please accept our apology in the form of a free nights stay to allow do it right.... Just contact us redeem the gift certidicate

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Warning to potenial guests, this B & B is located very close to freight railroad tracks. All night long we heard the train whistle. Trains pass through about every 45 minutes all through the night. The owner offered us one of the interior rooms saying this would be more quiet and we would not hear the train but we found it impossible to believe you would not still hear the train horn as it blasts so elected to stay somewhere else, forfeiting the expense for the two nights we had already paid for- it was that bad. On top of the noise from the train, this B&B looked to us to be very rundown. There is a for sale sign in front of it, so that may be part of this. The owner told me it is not run down but being restored, in particular the front porch. Either way, it wasn't for us.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elizabeth t
WestU, Owner at The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

The Big Blue House Inn is located in a beautiful walking neighborhood just six blocks from Tucson's beautiful new Historic Train Station and Museum as well as Hotel Congress and Fox theater. Many folks appreciate the proximity to Downtown Tucson and it's historic district. There is no freight yard, just a cute little historic train station.

Every step and phase of the historically appropriate award-winning restoration of the Big Blue House Inn must be approved by the local and state historic society. We recently received permission to restore even more of the exterior. We appreciate our guest support who have witnessed the restoration of this important piece of Tucson history.

Keep in mind we do enforce our 7 day cancellation policy.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I recently went there to unwind the week of my birthday, and had such a wonderful, relaxing time. I loved my room which was decorated beautifully and included a kitchenette and huge comfy bed. I spent lots of time talking with Leah the owner, who was inviting, fun and helpful. The room had it's own private bath as well. I did lots of hanging out on the porch, shopping on 4th avenue (mere steps away) and going to the grocery co-op for yummies. I highly recommend this unique and well cared for inn and will make a ritual of coming at least once a year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Clarissa A
Reviewed 13 October 2013

After staying a weekend, I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone. Unique, well equipped room, favorite part being the beautiful shower. We felt centrally located to all the sights that were on our list. And to finish off each night with a glass of wine on the amazing porch, simply relaxing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Recently, my husband and I enjoyed a night at this uniquely special B & B, which is a short drive from downtown and a short walk away from the cultural and university districts. We stayed in a charming suite dedicated to creating the ambiance Ernest Hemingway might have enjoyed during his European travels. The room was spacious and cozy with all of the needed amenities to make ourselves at home. After a day of wine tasting in the nearby city of Elgin, we had plenty of options for dining all within walking distance. The next day, we woke to a delectable, homemade breakfast compliments of the talented and welcoming hostess of the property. If you are looking for a great overnight getaway at an affordable price, you will be pleased with all the Big Blue House has to offer.

Room Tip: There is a selection of rooms that offer either full kitchens or kitchenettes depending on your need...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We spent a wonderful weekend at the Bib Blue House just sitting and lying around the charming, well equipped room. The Breakfasts were excellent, the best we've ever eaten at a B&B. The Hostess was definitely the most cordial, interesting and articulate we've ever met. The Big Blue House is located a 3 minute walk from the University District with dozens of eclectic shops and eateries. Probably our best ever weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arizore
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Recently my husband and I stayed at The Big Blue House. When we looked at photos on their website we could tell it was going to be a nice place but in person it was 10 times more beautiful. The grounds were lush with greenery and the huge wrap-around porch was so inviting. As we stepped onto it we could almost feel the history of the old house. Lea, the owner, showed us to room 5, which is a lovely 2 room suite with a private bath. The furnishings were gorgeous antiques, and there was interesting literature to read about the house. It was nice to be able to walk a short distance to restaurants, galleries and live music, then come back to a cozy room and comfy bed. And the very best part, BREAKFAST! Lea said it would be served "between 7:30ish and 9:ish," but I woke up at 9:30. When i walked into the breakfast cottage there was a delicious scent of sweet and savory in the air, but I had missed it. Then when I called to ask about checkout, Ken, the other owner, sweetly scolded me for missing breakfast. He said today had been biscuits and gravy, my favorite. When I told him that, he said if I could be there in 2 minutes, Lea would make me breakfast. I made it in time and ate the best biscuits & gravy I've ever had. Ken and Lea visited with me while i ate. They're both very friendly and down-to-earth. Lea makes everything from scratch with love and I could tell by how awesome it tasted. I went back to my room with arms full of leftovers for my sleeping husband, who awoke to breakfast in bed at a bed & breakfast.
Everything about our stay was perfect and we will definitely stay there whenever we visit Tucson. We might plan a trip just so we can stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business