“Rest & Sunshine”
Review of Mira Vista Resort

Mira Vista Resort
Ranked #55 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed the week of Halloween, beautiful weather & relaxation. The grounds were spotless and staff friendly. Quiet during the week other then the new condo construction going on. A bigger crowed on Saturday in the pool and for the Halloween party. Good food and prices in the restaurant. We stayed in a condo, very clean. Had a good time and plan on going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LLN43
There are newer reviews for Mira Vista Resort

Reviewed 9 November 2013

A unique, relaxing experience. This resort is expanding with additional condominiums currently being built which are available for purchase or rent. There are a limited number of RV parking slots available but that too will hopefully be expanded. The restaurant which is open weekend is about average. But how many places in the US allow you the liberty of being clothed or not.

Room Tip: We ordinarily stay in the RV section so cannot provide a current room evaluation. We have toured th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RICHARD C
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I had heard about Mira Vista from a friend, and a newspaper article. I was intrigued, and a c/o experience was on my bucket list.

Given the reviews I had read, I booked a Sat/Sun before I could talk myself out of it. And I'm so glad I did. I travel a lot and, 1) The resort is well-kept, sensitive & responsive. 2) The c/o part made me realize that we are all beautiful, and that nudity is oddly enough, a great equalizer.

If you're still reading this review, let me go back to the grounds and staff. When I made the reservation, I was nervous, (first time at a c/o anything) and the staff was more than congenial; explaining the rules, and
answering my questions. When I arrived, I had a quick but pleasant tour of the beautiful grounds and amenities. THE PLACE IS SECLUDED & BLEEDS THE BEAUTY OF THE SONORAN DESERT.

Now, my shyness had to deal with the second part of what I mentioned above.

I quickly decided that I had to "dive into the deep-end" and just do it. I had seen bodies better and worse than mine on the tour, and this put me at ease. I stripped, grabbed some stuff from my car, and quickly adapted. I'm single & male, and I had heard this could be an issue some places. Not at Mira Vista. They were very welcoming, and I really appreciated that.

I quickly met my "next door" neighbors, and later, met them for a fun costumed event, "Anything but Clothes." Here I met two other couples, and laughed while watching a gentleman wearing a sandwich board. It was "anything but clothes!" And a great costume!

I joined my new friends later in the conversation pool - a large wonderful crescent-shaped hot-tub, and talked about a myriad of subjects late into the night.

I've always been body conscious, a bit shy, and a lover of the desert. All three things merged for a life-changing event at Mira Vista.

I will be back, hopefully sooner instead of later. I know Tucson resorts, and this one is not only beautiful, but can bring you to nature, yourself & new friends unlike any other place.

I highly recommend Mira Vista. The management provides the stage, and you make your experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank TravelRaven21
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This is an upscale desert resort on the site of a former Suzanne Sommers fat farm, the restaurant and lobby are from the mid1800s and are beautiful. The restaurant is random but usually good. There is a full service bar. It is very well kept by a competent and friendly staff. The rooms have been remodeled and are odd and small. They were laid out in a different era and weren't suited for modern appliances, that said, they are nice and you spend little time in them anyway. The grounds are small by nudist standards but beautiful and well groomed. There is a large shade pavilion in the center of the 3 pools and a jacuzzi in a gazebo out front. An observation deck is the place to watch sunset with a glass (plastic) of wine. There are plenty of restaurants in and around Marana to get whatever your taste buds desire if you want to put your clothes on.

Room Tip: There are standard rooms, deluxe (adds a sitting room) and condo rooms, they are all quiet and clean...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BillandPatty
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed for four nights for the first time at the Mira Vista Resort during the last week of May and overall had a pleasant experience. As with any resort there are positives and some negatives. I’ll first delineate the positives: We found the resort staff to be friendly, congenial and helpful. The resort grounds are beautiful; nicely landscaped and well maintained with a number of recreational amenities (gym, tennis court, pool table, shuffle board, etc.) available. The two swimming pools are very refreshing and have an adjacent shaded area with misters with plenty of room to find your favorite perch to relax. There are two whirlpools with good jets and wi-fi is free with a good connection. In this respect the resort is top notch in our opinion.

As for the negatives, although the rooms are comfortable and come with a nice compact refrigerator and good AC, there are several issues that prevent us from giving the resort a higher rating. First of all, upon checking into our room we noticed that an ash tray (actually a small sand filled bucket) placed outside our room on our patio table was literally overflowing with cigarette butts, disgusting to say the least. We are non-smokers and thought it to be a minor oversight by housekeeping and we simply ignored it. The following day the “ash tray” remained “as is” and was never replaced or cleaned so we handled the task ourselves (more comments on housekeeping later). Although the rooms are somewhat dated; yes, it’s part of the atmosphere and character of the resort – we get that part and accept it. However, we are very seasoned travelers and throughout our many years of travel we have learned that accommodations described and depicted as “rustic, quaint, charming and nostalgic” are generally synonymous with and symbolize “tired, outdated and in need of refurbishing.” Our experience with Mira Vista solidified this concept as the small portable television is circa 1970’s and is begging to be replaced with a flat panel screen. I know you don’t stay at a resort to watch TV and we generally don’t. However, during the evening hours while getting ready to go out we enjoy watching the early local news or viewing a late night movie or program before going to bed. On numerous occasions local stations were unavailable as the picture was either badly pixilated or a message indicated the signal was not available. Regardless, in this day and age of high end technology and dirt cheap prices for flat panel screens, the televisions really need to be replaced. It would also be beneficial to guests for the resort to provide a centralized ice machine. When we checked in we were informed that ice was only available until 5:00 P.M. as subsequent to that time no one mans the front desk. I guess you don’t need ice in the evening, not even in the desert. Even budget motels provide ice machines for their guests. In addition, facial tissues are not provided in the rooms. Not sure if you have to request them; we simply bought our own. Not that $1.50 is going to break us; it’s a matter of principle, especially considering the room rates charged at MV. This is the first hotel/motel/resort we stayed at in our many years of travel that a box of Kleenex was not provided in the bathroom. Finally, and most importantly, our housekeeping left a lot to be desired. Other than making the bed, emptying the wastebasket and replacing towels, (only one small towel per person is provided for use at the pool) there was no evidence any cleaning/housekeeping was performed Water spots on the bathroom mirror remained for our entire stay and served as mute testimony that limited cleaning, if any, took place in the bathroom. This was buttressed by the presence of hair that accumulated in the shower area - especially on the drain - which was not removed/cleaned throughout our stay. Moreover, lint and other particles that found their way onto the carpet remained for our entire stay, evidence that our room was never vacuumed. We heard similar complaints from several other guests. Other than experiencing a breakdown with the toilet, shower, AC or other major maintenance issue, we basically make the best of a negative situation and are not the type to rant and rave to staff/management as we are not whiners or complainers. We refuse to allow such annoyances to ruin our vacation. Although some of these problems may be considered “nit-picking,” there is absolutely no excuse or justification for unsatisfactory and deficient housekeeping!

This resort is very easy to like and has a great deal of potential and appeal, but as the old adage goes, it’s all in the details, ah, for the details. Consequently, the small negative details listed above are issues that separate the average and good resorts from the truly excellent resorts. Unfortunately, based on our experience, MV falls into the former category. The historical adobes have the potential to become real gems given the beautiful grounds and landscaping, if only management would invest in some professional decorating and renovation and make marked improvements in their housekeeping. As the proven business maxim goes “you cannot cut your way to prosperity, as you’ll be destined to fail.”

Yes, we will probably consider returning, however, we will be more inclined to stay in one of the condo units, which are beautifully appointed. Given the negatives listed above regarding the basic rooms, coupled with their respective high daily rates, we felt it was not a good value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gkuta
twoonthego, Owner at Mira Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your very thorough review of Mira Vista, complete with excellent pictures of the grounds! We're happy that you will be returning and plan to stay in a Casas at Mira Vista condo.

I do want to address a few of the areas/items that weren't to your satisfaction during your stay. Most of them could have been addressed while you were here, so I wish you would have mentioned them at the time. Tissues are provided in each room and it was an oversight that they weren't there. The outdoor ashtray should have been emptied and we have added that to the daily checklist. All rooms are non-smoking and outdoor smoking areas do have ashtrays/containers. Ice is available to room guests in the main building from 8 am until the restaurant closes at 8 or 9, or until 5 on the 3 weeknights that the restaurant is not open. We don't provide complimentary ice to day visitors and club members, only to room guests. Pool towels are also only provided to room guests, one per person. Daily housekeeping service does not include a thorough cleaning of each room, as is done at check-out, but certainly should have touched on the areas you mentioned.

We describe the rooms at Mira Vista as "historic", "charming" and having "lots of character" because they are not the typical chain hotel cookie-cutter, neutral-tone rooms that tend to look the same everywhere, not because they are "rustic" or in poor condition. Of the 14 rooms and suites, only 4 are alike. That is one of the main reasons guests choose Mira Vista and they return to their favorite rooms again and again. We are constantly upgrading and improving. In just the past 2 months, we have replaced all the TVs in the premium rooms with larger, flat-screen ones and all of the bedding in all the rooms. We expect to replace the rest of the TVs within the year. Half the rooms have new AC units in the past 2 years, as well as the entire main building. Most of the older tubs have been replaced with large tiled showers, with the remaining ones on the project list.

Maintaining and improving a property with so many facilities is challenging and expensive. We just can't do everything at once, but reflecting back on the 7 years since opening, there have been an overwhelming amount of improvements. It's a completely different business than building a new hotel from scratch. Our goal is to never lose the character of the place that we fell in love with 7 1/2 years ago, when it was closed for business from a prior owner, but had so much potential as a clothing-optional resort.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

First visit to Mira Vista Resort. The grounds, pools and other facilities are definitely a-one! We were traveling by RV so we did not stay in any of the units, but they looked beautiful. Unfortunately, the city will not allow for more RV spots so they have a limited number available. We arrived on a Memorial Day weekend, Saturday, and our assigned spot (and the only one left) was less than easy to get into. The staff and other patrons leaped into action to get us into the spot and then as soon as another spot became available allowed us to move. It is a friendly and clean resort.

Room Tip: If you travel by RV or such, be sure to clarify exactly which spot you will have when you make your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WildgameAndWine
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My wife and I have been to MV several times over the past 2 years (we are not members... yet). He have found MV to be very warm and inviting. The experience is what you make of it. My wife plays water volleyball, she's not very good but she has a blast as everyone makes her feel welcome and a part of the group. We have made several friends who enjoy the lifestyle as we do. We were looking for a place where we could make new friends and enjoy the nudists lifestyle and fortunately we found it in Mira Vista! Lastly, regarding the negative comments about Brent. In my dealings with Brent, he has been very professional. from our first visit to MV he has always spoke to us by name which, in my opinion, speaks volumes to his personal skills. As I said earlier, the experience is what YOU make of it!

• Stayed: March 2013