“Easy Rider”

Houston's Horseback Riding
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Went on a sunset ride. As it was June it was very hot at the beginning but did not take too long to cool off. The trail (being the desert) was very dusty. Had two young adults as guides and they were helpful and friendly. We did not get a chance to trot which would have added a little excitement to the to our ride, but had fun none the less. Good setup and not to far away, while still being in the country.

1  Thank citizenlynn

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We went on a sunset ride during the week, and it was amazing. The mountains were gorgeous, and I really can't imagine a better way to get a close up view of the desert. Our guide was knowledgeable about the local flora/fauna, pointing out interesting things as we passed, but I also really appreciated the quiet pauses where we could relax in the saddle, enjoy the beauty and listen to nothing but hoofbeats, creaking leather, and the occasional snort from the horse underneath us (there's nothing more annoying than a guide who talks incessantly, right?).

There were three of us - I have some riding experience, but my 10 yr old daughter and my partner had essentially none. The staff asked about our level of experience when we called to book the ride, and questioned us again after we arrived before they assigned us each a horse. And their choices were spot on - they chose docile, trustworthy mounts for Bill and my daughter.

The wranglers were very helpful - brief riding instruction before we left, then my daughter received plenty of one on one attention as the ride went along. I was very grateful that they took the extra time with her, and she learned quite a bit.

The horses were in good condition, well groomed, shod, ...and the tack was clean and in good repair.

Two small complaints. It was a bit windy the day of our ride, and the trail leading from the ranch to the National parkland was extremely dusty! But hey...it's the desert, right? For those people with respiratory issues, though, this could be a problem.

Second - I received no response to my first phone call to schedule a ride, and when I called the ranch a second time several days later, I was told they were full the night we wanted to schedule. And they couldn't recommend any other trail rides as an alternative to theirs. Hmm.

To their credit - they called me back and accommodated us at the last minute. So it all worked out fine. And we really did have a great time.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Spent a few hours horse back riding in the desert on our recent vacation to Tucson, Bobby Houston's was recommended by the B&B owners as well as here on Trip Advisor. "Casey" our wrangler provided us with a great experience, giving details of the landscape and area history along with seeing wildlife during our ride. The horses both well cared for and beautiful provided us with a great birds eye view, we saw deer, ground squirrel, and many types of birds as we traveled in the Saguaro National Park . As a first time rider, I can say my fears were completed removed from the moment I was saddled up - would recommend this to anyone at any level of riding experience. Definitely will do it again! Thanks Bobby and Casey for a great adventure!

1  Thank ScSunlovers
Reviewed 30 April 2013

After reading all the excellent reviews on Trip advisor we booked our ride! The ranch isn't that hard to find just look for the Houston name on the front driveway. We were happily greeted when we arrived. First you have to sign a couple pages of waivers incase anything happens the Ranch is not responsible for any injuries that may occur. Then you are given the option to have a helmet. You are allowed to bring camera's and cell phones and water for the ride. Bobby matches you up with the perfect horse to your skill set. She shows you the basics and has you carry them out. Mostly they are retired rodeo horses. There were 5 in our group and two of use were very inexperienced and nervous. Bobby put us right at ease and after 20 minutes we were riding like old pros. She stayed right behind us and kept reminding us to breath and relax. The wrangler in the front of the line told us all kinds of interesting facts about the dessert and area. We stopped so Bobby could take pictures of us by the amazing cactus and mountains in the background. After our two hour ride Bobby posed us again for a few pictures. She was so friendly and helpful along with her amazing staff. She loves what she does and it shows. She told us she will even take handicapped people and children on a horse ride just so they can experience what it's like to ride a horse. She truly is an angel sent from heaven! I can't recommend this great experience riding through the Saguaro National Park enough. This was the highlight of our trip to Tucson!

2  Thank Krys G
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed riding through the desert and the dinner was great! I also had no problem with my horse, Odie, he was very well trained.

2  Thank Glamgirl26