“Return Visit, Just as Good as the First Time”

Houston's Horseback Riding
buffalo, ny
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Return Visit, Just as Good as the First Time”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We enjoy horseback riding when we are on vacation and have gone to many different places. We have seen some good ones and some not so good. Houston's is certainly the best. The people are very nice and helpful. The horses were well behaved and the scenery was beautiful. Just like last time, we certainly recommend this place.

San Diego, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun horseback riding experience in amazing scenic desert.”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I took my 3 teenagers to Houston's today to ride horses for 2 hours. They all had a good time and enjoyed the desert scenery. The ranch area was intriguing with tons of old farm antiques to marvel at. The property was surprisingly shaded very well, with tons of trees everywhere. The horses all seemed quite content and well cared for. The staff was also very pleasant.

1 Thank Sandra Johnson F
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Easy Rider”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Went on a sunset ride. As it was June it was very hot at the beginning but did not take too long to cool off. The trail (being the desert) was very dusty. Had two young adults as guides and they were helpful and friendly. We did not get a chance to trot which would have added a little excitement to the to our ride, but had fun none the less. Good setup and not to far away, while still being in the country.

1 Thank citizenlynn
Fairfax Station, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The best way to see the Sonoran desert”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We went on a sunset ride during the week, and it was amazing. The mountains were gorgeous, and I really can't imagine a better way to get a close up view of the desert. Our guide was knowledgeable about the local flora/fauna, pointing out interesting things as we passed, but I also really appreciated the quiet pauses where we could relax in the saddle, enjoy the beauty and listen to nothing but hoofbeats, creaking leather, and the occasional snort from the horse underneath us (there's nothing more annoying than a guide who talks incessantly, right?).

There were three of us - I have some riding experience, but my 10 yr old daughter and my partner had essentially none. The staff asked about our level of experience when we called to book the ride, and questioned us again after we arrived before they assigned us each a horse. And their choices were spot on - they chose docile, trustworthy mounts for Bill and my daughter.

The wranglers were very helpful - brief riding instruction before we left, then my daughter received plenty of one on one attention as the ride went along. I was very grateful that they took the extra time with her, and she learned quite a bit.

The horses were in good condition, well groomed, shod, ...and the tack was clean and in good repair.

Two small complaints. It was a bit windy the day of our ride, and the trail leading from the ranch to the National parkland was extremely dusty! But hey...it's the desert, right? For those people with respiratory issues, though, this could be a problem.

Second - I received no response to my first phone call to schedule a ride, and when I called the ranch a second time several days later, I was told they were full the night we wanted to schedule. And they couldn't recommend any other trail rides as an alternative to theirs. Hmm.

To their credit - they called me back and accommodated us at the last minute. So it all worked out fine. And we really did have a great time.

Visited May 2013
SC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Experience to Remember”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Spent a few hours horse back riding in the desert on our recent vacation to Tucson, Bobby Houston's was recommended by the B&B owners as well as here on Trip Advisor. "Casey" our wrangler provided us with a great experience, giving details of the landscape and area history along with seeing wildlife during our ride. The horses both well cared for and beautiful provided us with a great birds eye view, we saw deer, ground squirrel, and many types of birds as we traveled in the Saguaro National Park . As a first time rider, I can say my fears were completed removed from the moment I was saddled up - would recommend this to anyone at any level of riding experience. Definitely will do it again! Thanks Bobby and Casey for a great adventure!

Visited May 2013