“Fascinating Place”

Tucson Mineral and Gem World
Ranked #6 of 135 Shopping in Tucson
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stop in here for a giant display of gems to whet your appetite for beauty. Their amethysts are especially gorgeous -- and huge. Purchase a special ring, necklace or bracelet. Find that perfect piece of turquoise. I loved this place and have been back a couple times when I'm in town. You will love it.

4  Thank Maggie M

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I live in Los Angeles and was so excited to find this "gem". It is not at all touristy and Ron has an archeology background. It is like going to the old west and I have been there twice in a month. Their prices are fabulous and you can not see everything in one visit. It is an education just looking at some of the treasures.

3  Thank Beth C
Reviewed 26 March 2014

What a pleasure to experience the superior customer service at Tucson Mineral and Gem World. I got to conversing with the owner who is an eccentric genius for sure. I learned so much in such a short time about fossils and other geological formations found in Arizona and my home state of New Jersey. He really enjoys sharing his experiences and knowledge with his customers. The shop is filled with oddities and is a museum in itself. I highly recommend a stop to this very cool attraction.

4  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Stopped in on the way back from living desert museum/ zoo. The owner was very helpful finding a new specimen for my rock hound friend at home...wanted something native from Arizona for her collection...he found me some native perridote in matrix and bisbee copper samples. Great shop.

3  Thank Janet M
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were staying across the street at the Cat Mountain Lodge and had no idea this place was across the street! I saw the teepee from the corner but didn't think anything of it. As we were heading home, I finally saw the shop front and hollered for my husband to pull over. He was as excited as I was. :D

I absolutely love the old world charm of the front. Lots of fun photo ops and neat little Saguaro/stonehenge to the right of the shop. ;)

Inside, it's pretty casual and eccentric. Take your time. Dig through the bins, ask to look in the cases and get the specimens into better light. Do what you gotta and you'll find something to fall in love with. You'll find local AZ minerals too. Great for the souvenir seeker..

We ended up coming back twice and looked at every specimen. You'll find everything from minerals, gems, fossils, artifacts -- even human skulls! (Though, I think that's part of Richard's collection. Not for sale... I hope!) Each specimen has an informative tag indicating origin and price.

We had an interest in rock/mineral collecting but never had a chance to start. Knowing that the area was known for mining, it was an excellent place to start. Richard was very helpful and we were happy to start our collection at his shop.

3  Thank Li D