“A very nice casino hotel with the friendliest staff around!”

Desert Diamond Casino Hotel
Ranked #61 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, Arizona
“A very nice casino hotel with the friendliest staff around!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stay at Desert Diamonds Hotel a couple of times a year when my wife and I want to be able to enjoy the casino and NOT drive home after having a couple libations. The casino is fine, however it isn't much different than other Indian casinos. The hotel, however, is very nice with large, modern, and clean rooms. The staff at the reception desk as well as the maids, security and anyone else associated with the hotel are very friendly and greet you with a smile every time they meet you. The hotel has their meeting rooms between the hotel and the casino, so the noise is non-existent. Any noise coming from the hallway is pretty much the same noise you would hear from inconsiderate people in any other hotel. A very nice continental breakfast is provided for anyone staying at the hotel and is available from 6 to 9 am. We have had dinners at both the steak house (very nice and great food) and the buffet, as well as their little pizza/snack bar. My only complaint about Desert Diamond and the reason they didn't get a 5 star rating from me is that they charge $4.50 for either a Bud Light or a tiny rum and coke. The rum and coke I can see...but for a beer? Again, my only complaint!

Room Tip: Request a balcony room, if any are available.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TrapperH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I would like to thank you for our short stay on our birthday weekend celebration. The room was nice. The balcony and Bath and Body works soap was a nice touch. Also, the continental breakfast was really good. The only thing I would say was that the noise in the hallway makes it hard to sleep at night.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer E
tucson
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel and went to dinner at the steak house. We shared a $70 dollar steak and order it medium, when it arrived after a half hour, it was well done. After waiting another 20 minutes they returned with a better cooked steak. The steak was fine, but I awoke at 4 am with a bad stomach ache and head ache. Needless to say, I did not have any antacids nor head ache meds. I went down to the hotel lobby and asked for help to be informed security was gone for the night. I had to go into the casino and find a woman with a purse for relief. I finally went back to sleep. After checking out and driving home I commented to my husband I forgot my library book in the room and called the hotel, being it was Sunday no one answered housekeeping but I left a message and I never heard back. I called on Monday and was informed someone stole my library book.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank shalomhav
Chapin, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel on a business trip because it was close to the work place. The hotel is secondary to the casino, so might have more appeal to someone interested in the casino. The guest room was large; the bed and linens were average. The hotel has created a nice appearance but using lesser grade materials. The sink in the bathroom was backed up, but was repaired after a request to the front desk. The treadmills in the exercise room didn't have functioning TVs; and the water bottle was empty and never refilled during the 2 day stay. The pool is very small - good for a dip on a hot day, but not big enough for swimming. The lobby has a small gift shop with posted hours, but everytime I walked by it was closed with a note about being back soon. Same for the small coffee bar - never saw it open. The adjoining casino provided a free buffet if you signed up for their rewards card. I would skip it - even if free - not good. The steak restaurant in the casino was not open during my stay. The carpeting in the main areas of the hotel are in desperate need of cleaning. For business travellers there are better options near the airport that I would choose.

Room Tip: Avoid the casino side
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank 48Buddy
CHMoore, Manager at Desert Diamond Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the experience concerning facility. I have shared your comments with our staff members concering the workout facility. We always want to make sure all of the equipment is in good working order. We will have the screens tested and replaced immediately. I know when I workout, I like to watch TV to make the time go quicker on the equipment. Concerning the carpet cleaning, our housekeeping staff has regular cleaning schedules for the carpets. They are very good in maintaining their appearances. All it takes is one person to spill something and we are not able to get to the stain quick enough to clean it.

I appreciate your honestyfor your post as we wish to improve our services to you; please grant our staff a second opportunity to make your next stay remarkable. If you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The establishment looked great in the online photos, but I was somewhat disappointed when I saw it in person. My room was a bit worn- holes in the wall here and there- and the finishes seemed a bit cheap. I've stayed at the casino del sol too and del sol just seemed nicer all around.

I was surprised that there weren't room darkening curtains- just wood blinds. It wasn't too big of a deal for me since I wasn't sleeping in. The jet engines were very loud. As I was walking out to my car everything was vibrating. I was there for business but I would find it hard to relax by the pool with the noise. The complimentary breakfast was nice.

My biggest complaint was the service. I had a 10 month old back at home whom I was still nursing. I asked the front desk if I could put ice packs in their freezer overnight so I would have them cold enough to carry the breastmilk (ie liquid gold) back to my daughter. I was told that there wasn't a freezer available for me to use. I find it very hard to believe there wasn't a freezer in that entire establishment for me to put a couple ice packs in. The hampton inn I stayed at the night before in phoenix and the night after in Albuquerque had no hesitation in putting the ice packs in the freezer.

I won't stay here again when I return to Tucson.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Businesstravelercline
CHMoore, Manager at Desert Diamond Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. I would like to apologize for the experience concerning the freezer packs and finding a freezer for them. I have spoken with our Front Office Manager to coach the staff options that are available to them. Unfortunately, the freezers are not readily accessible to our staff since we secure all of our walk-in refrigerators and freezers when not in use in the kitchen. As for the condition of the room, I can't make any excuses. We take pride in our facility and we work hard to ensure the condition of the rooms are maintained to the highest standards. I have contacted our Facilities Manager and Executive Housekeeper on your comments.

I appreciate your honesty with your comments as we wish to improve our services to you. On behalf of our team, we hope you give us another chance when you come to Tucson.

Katie Moore
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Great location for exploring southern arizona which I did. Room was very nice and very clean and modern. But oh boy, the noise. Weekends nights had very very loud guests in hall outside room. Weekday early mornings had constant jet noise from nearby fedEx, tuscon airport, and military base. Refrigerator (which I did not use) very noisy as it cycled on and off. I did not complain, just unplugged it at night. Am a smoker so balcony was perfect. Enclosed balcony (not open one) was perfect as it kept wind and rain away. Comfy chairs and a table provided too. For older travelers rooms are dimly lit even with every light on and there are many. But bathroom was very bright which was great. Night lights over bed though did allow for reading. Would have been nice to have recliners instead of Queen Anne chairs though. But they were better than what you find inmost hotels and there were two. Casino buffet limited to mainly salad and meats. Am a big veggie eater and am drawn to buffets for this reason so was disappointed in lack of offerings especially for the price. Did not try other food options at the hotel. High ceilings in room, modernness, balcony, and location for my purposes made this a great value for the money and Why I gave it 4 stars and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us in Tucson. Guest feedback is very important to us. This feedback is important to us. We utilize the information and come up with ways to improve our services to our guests and share the positive comments from you to our staff. I have shared your comments with our staff concerning the noise. I have my Executive Housekeeper researching a quieter refrigerator for the rooms.

We look forward to serving you again when you come back to Tucson. On behalf of our team, we truly appreciate your business.

Warmest Regards,
Katie Moore
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stay at this property often when in Tucson. Rooms are always pleasant - but watch out for the King Rooms with separate shower and tub: Shower - very tiny - I mean tiny, and I'm a small woman and was a bit claustrophobic in the shower and banged my elbows on the sides. Be prepared for walking per other reviews, but I never feel like my car is at risk in the parking lot.

The main steak house restaurant - always a treat for myself, but this time around, disappointing compared to eating there 6 months earlier - did they change chefs again?

I don't gamble, so kindof funny I always stay here while in town in business, but the internet connection is fantastic, and its nice to have the fridge....easy access to airport as needed, and easy to get back to downtown Tucson. Always fun as a reminder - I-19 - in metric, laugh to myself that last 3 miles to Desert Diamond. (Ie, how many meters was that?).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business