“The Most Incredible B&B We've Ever Visited”

Royal Elizabeth Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #2 of 46 Tucson B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“The Most Incredible B&B We've Ever Visited”
Reviewed 27 September 2008

The Royal Elizabeth is an incredible property. The location in downtown Tucson provided so many choices for walk-to fine dining, theater and entertainment. The grounds were superb with a heated pool and jacuzzi. We felt like we were in our own home with the many amenities such as wireless hi speed Internet, a family room with an incredible entertainment system and the house itself with its historic beauty and dramatic high ceilings and finishes.

However, the most impressive part of our stay were our hosts. Chuck and Jeff, a wonderful couple who left the corporate world to fulfill their dreams helped our vacation be a "dream come true". They were part concierge, inn keepers, confidant and friends. They were so helpful yet not intrusive that you felt more like you were visiting old friends than staying at a B&B.

We travel extensively and without a doubt the "Liz" as the boys call it, was superb and we recommend it to anyone visiting Tucson in the future.

• Liked — The service and attentiveness of our hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing--it was flawless
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I booked this stay while I was to be in Tucson for an extremely important examination, and wanted someplace that would provide a serene atmosphere in which I could concentrate and relax (I know, that sounds contradictory). The "Liz" was perfect!

The facility is located in the heart of downtown Tucson, but is very much an oasis. Once you enter the gate the outside world dissappears and you are left with lush landscaping and background music perfectly matched to the surroundings. The building is old, built in the mid 1800's - but it is updated and very comfortable. The rooms are perfectly appointed, with extremely comfortable beds, antiques that are not just for show and private sitting rooms and baths. My room had a clawfoot tub with a rain shower, and I belileve one of the rooms has a whirlpool tub. Every room had a small tv with satellite programming, a dvd player and a smalll fridge that was perfect to hide snacks or in my case, enough to make lunch for myself.

There is a beautiful pool area, which was perfect for my afternoon soak. A spa is attached to the pool, which I sadly did not have a chance to use but had heard from another guest was great. It is very private, with a 6 foot wall and again, that lush landscaping. Each guest room has two pool towels provided, which were changed out regularly.

The main common area is gorgeous, and a comfortable place to sit and read or just relax. They always had snacks out (cookies and biscotti), along with teas, sodas, water and even complimentary wine and "spirits" if you desired. They don't follow the typical afternoon wine and cheese offerings, as the proprietors believe that people should not feel rushed in their day to get back or miss out on a snack - the stay at the 'Liz should be relaxed. In fact, they extend to their guests the use of the entire kitchen and all it has to offer.

The proprietors, Chuck and Jeff, seek to do no less than make certain that every one of your needs is met. They have a different check in policy, being that they appreciate an approximate time of your arrival to ensure that they are ready and waiting for you to arrive. They explain all of the amenities in great detail, as well as establishing if there is anything special that you need or desire while you are their guest. It feels more like you are staying with family than in a "rooming house" as some B&B's and virtually all hotels make you feel.

That's not to say that they got too involved or were in the way. That is absolutely not what was experienced. In my experience with B&B's there always seemd to be two kinds - those that were too "corporate" and those where the proprietors were too in "your face". Jeff and chuck balance this perfectly.

I read in another review of the 'Liz that the guest was not happy that there were not several options for breakfast . Let me tell you that you wouldn't want options but they are there. Jeff and Chuck are gourmet cooks, and I found breakfast to be exceptional. Each of my five days began with a fruit plate (such as oranges sliced and soaked overnight in juice and cinnamin with huge berries), and followed usually with an egg dish (such as eggs served in a wonton "cup", soft-cooked with cheese, herbs from their garden and chicken sausage that was usually stuffed with some secret ingredient like portabello mushrooms or habanero peppers or whatever - they have them custom made for the guests).

Now, having said that, there were several guests that had special requests which Jeff and Chuck eagerly filled. If any thing was requested they would have been and were too happy to fulfill it. Bed and Breakfast implies that there will be Breakfast - not cold cereal in a bowl!

In short, the Royal Elizabeth did not meet my expectations - it exceeded them by such a measure that it will be hard to ever feel satisfied again. At least until I return to the 'Liz and Jeff and Chuck.

• Liked — Everything - property and proprietors
  • Disliked — Perhaps more dsignated parking - but it was NOT an issue and likely would NOT be!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank MRMED8R
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Throughout our years of traveling, we have had the opportunity to stay in some superb Bed & Breakfast Inns. The level of hospitality and comfort offered at the Royal Elizabeth in Tucson Arizona is among the best that we have ever experienced. Jeff and Chuck, the owners of the Royal Elizabeth, have infused every aspect of the Inn with elegance and their attention to details is unsurpassed. The beautifully adorned breakfast table and the gourmet, five-star quality breakfast is exquisitely presented. Our room in the Ryan Patrick Suite was spacious, comfortable and luxurious. Once ensconced in our room we regretted having to leave it. We enthusiastically look forward to our next stay at the Royal Elizabeth Bed & Breakfast with our extraordinary hosts Jeff and Chuck.

• Liked — Location, Comfort and attention to detail
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 15 May 2008

... and Jeff and Chuck. My husband and I (and our two pups) just returned from 6 glorious weeks in Tucson courtesy of Jeff and Chuck, the owners of the Royal Elizabeth. Since we were there for an extended stay with dogs we rented their Iron Horse house situated in a terrific neighborhood near both the University and downtown. It was the best of all worlds as we had such beautiful accommodations, privacy and still, all of the amenities and hospitality Jeff and Chuck are known for (see other reviews if you don't believe me). Not only did they think of EVERYTHING in advance of our stay they gave us much more. Somehow they intuitively sensed exactly how much we needed and wanted in terms of attention and managed to treat us like royalty while not invading our own too busy lives. More important, they allowed us into their own very busy lives and we left feeling we'd made two very good and dear friends. For the unitiated curious about the title of this little homage, Lucy is the beloved cocker spaniel who presides over the Royal Elizabeth. In order not to ramble on about our wonderful time I'll just say that thanks to Jeff and Chuck we now think of Tucson as a second (if not first someday) home and can't wait to go back. Oh yes, and they have their own blend of excellent coffee, five pounds of which I've dragged back to NY to keep the memories fresh!

• Liked — As we say in New York, 'What's not to like?!'
  • Disliked — Nada
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank finneywatt
Poole
Reviewed 29 April 2008

My partner and I booked in to the Royal Elizabeth for a romantic getaway for a weekend and we think we found a gem in Tucson! The service was faultless and friendly.
We stayed in the smaller room and it was wonderfully presented with every detail thought of. Refreshments were available at all times, as well as delicious home made cookies!
The breakfasts are to die for, healthy, wonderfully presented and fantastically flavoursome. We enjoyed the private jaccuzzi and pool, a little oasis in a busy city.
The hosts were very helpful and accommodating, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anybody...

• Liked — The friendly service
  • Disliked — I cannot think of anything that I didn't like...
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Elegance and comfort beyond your imagination!
Our daughter was just married in Tucson so we reserved The Liz for our out-of-town guests and were they ever WOWed. Since we and our guests came from the East coast, for everyone to experience such grace and comfort was truly a wonderful highlight of the week-end. Chuck and Jeff made each and everyone one of us feel at home, comfortable and absolutely spoiled. And about breakfast, well, let it suffice to say you sometimes wish it would last all day! They were always available for any questions we had and certainly could make wonderful recommendations for any occasion be it dinner or an afternoon of site seeing.

Staying at The Liz couldn't have been more perfect. Thank you Chuck & Jeff for everything you did for us. We will always consider you part of our family.

P.S. Hurry up and write your recipe book - PLEASE!

• Liked — The comfort, the food, and the graciousness of the owners
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Poole, England
Reviewed 22 April 2008

My Partner and I just spent a lovely weekend at The Liz for a romantic break from a large family gathering in Tucson. I chose it because of their gorgeous and tempting website. The experience of staying there was even better than I could have imagined. The Hosts/Owners, Jeff and Chuck were friendly, charming and knew everything about Tucson. I used to live in Tucson and they knew more about where to eat and what to see then I did. The breakfasts were a delight to look at and to eat. We will definitely be booking again.

• Liked — the hosts, food, services and decor
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple