“Great Place for a get away”

Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arizona
“Great Place for a get away”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My wife and I took a get away trip and found a great jewel in Tucson. We spent the day at the Desert Museum till around 2:30pm(which is not far from motel). Apon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly staff and found we had been upgraded to a two room suite. The room was precooled and very neat and tidey.We did not use the pool but it looked very nice. We found the on site restaurant and lounge( you are given two free drinks) to be very nice and with good prices. The free breakfast was very good with several choices. The only down side is there is not alot to do around the motel, but many things are just a short drive. We are looking forward to our next stay.Thanks for a great little get away!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Thank you for taking time to submit this review regarding your recent stay at our property. My team & I are happy to hear that you had a great stay with us.

My entire team & I work hard to provide clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service. It is very gratifying to all of us to hear compliments from our guests. Thank you for your kind words, as it makes us work harder to consistently do better - everyday.

We appreciate your comments very much & thank you for the business. We hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Czech first
TUCSON
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The best buy for the buck if you want a modern suit with a hot tub. Great Bar and food on property. The Staff is 5 star.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 July 2011

Many guests' have taken advantage our romantic package featuring decorative bouquet of roses, rose petals on bed, box of chocolates, bottle of champagne or sparkling cider, as well as bottle of water & snacks. I am thrilled to hear that you also enjoyed it very much.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Great staff and accomodations! We went for orientation for college and the staff were so helpful in directing us and helping us gather info regarding the college, etc. Our room was very comfortable and we enjoyed our evenings at the pool. It was so convenient to have the restaurant on the hotel property and they give a discount for the guests! I'll be going back to this hotel everytime I visit my daughter! Thanks for everything!!!

• Stayed June 2011

I am excited to know that the recent improvements such as 32' LCD TVs & new PosturePedic Pillow Top mattresses as well as new Complimentary Guest Breakfast menu with 8 options including waffles & healthy choices) enhanced your experience at our hotel. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

Epsom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed at this motel for 1 night in June on our way through Tucson.

It is close to and easy to find from the Interstate.

The lady on reception was friendly and helpful and as a nice touch phoned us after we’d been in our room for about 30 minutes to check that everything was OK, which it was.

The room was a typically large American motel room, the like of which you don’t see often in Europe but it was also well furnished for a motel.

Although it is only a motel, they have taken the trouble the lay the grounds out well with some pleasing water features, lawns and trees.

Next to the motel is a bar and restaurant. They provided local draft beers, which included a 2 for 1 offer making it the cheapest beer we had in 3 weeks in the area. The service was also good.

The food was good in an unpretentious way. Typical steaks, burgers and ribs but very tasty and good value for money.

The cooked breakfast, which is included in the room rate, was less successful. They appeared short-staffed and consequently tables weren’t cleared quickly and the wait for food was longer than I would expect for breakfast.

The checkout was as friendly and helpful as the check-in. We were going to the West Saguaro NP and the reception provided us with a pre-printed set of directions.

If you are passing through Tucson and need a motel I would definitely recommend this one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

We have recently re-designed our breakfast menu featuring 8 options to choose from including new healthy choices. We will speak to our restaurant team & ensure proper staffing during breakfast hours to help improve guest experience by offering outstanding service along with great food.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I have been staying at the Best Western Royal Sun on business travel for several years now. I switched from Farfield Inn, by Marriott properties. One might be concerned about quality in changing from Marriott properties to Best Western. However, I have never been disappointed. Although this is an older property it is maintained as though it is new. The entire team from the General Manager down to the grounds keeper all take great pride in the facility and pay GREAT attention to guest satisfaction. Speaking of the staff. Over several years I have seen no turn over in staff. That speaks volumes for the leadership at this great hotel. (If you are a frequent traveler you already know staff turnover is often high in the lodging industry.)

Best Western Royal Sun has a very clean pool and spa area. They also provide a workout area and vending area. They have several "mini-suites" and "full-suites." The full suites have a front room with a hide a bed couch, chair, coffee table, entertainment center with flat screen TV and a phone. The back room has either two queens or one king bed and a work desk area with speaker phone and wired or wireless internet along with another flat screen TV. All areas of the property are covered by the wireless connection including the pool and spa area. This property has an on site retaurant with a cantina. The breakfast is a choice of five different breakfasts off the menu. Not old, cold, stale rolls and bad fruit. What a refreshing change...at no additional cost.

All rooms also have a hair dryer, Mini-Fridge, and a lit make up mirror. Additionally, many of the rooms connect if you have a large group. I find it an additional value that not only can you get two rooms that connect but several in a row. This allows for movement between several rooms for a large group without having to go outside.

The houskeeping staff is provided a list of inbound guests daily. They always turn the air down in the rooms and have them very cool for your arrival. A great service for sunny, hot Arizona. If you are a Best Western Rewards member there is always an additional treat in the room based on your award level.

The ONLY drawback I see is no microwave in the rooms. However, there is one in the lobby along with a computer and printer for guest use. The lack of the microwave is easily overcome by all the other outstanding features.

Thank you for the great rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank EdwardClouse

We truly appreciate the business & we are thrilled to know that you love to stay with us every time you are in Tucson. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Had made this reservation weeks in advance and at last minute had to change occupancy and room type due to a family emergency. I am so thankful that Angela was working the front desk that night. She is for sure a definition of the Best Western Brand! She was able to get the rooms switched and check-in was a breeze (she even provided us with directions to our destination!).
The breakfast at the hotel also exceeded my expectations as I thought it would be all cold items (continental breakfast), but it was a Full HOT cook-to-order breakfast with some good choices and of course, best of all, it was complimentary! You are limited to some choices but they are filling.
Our room was surprisingly very clean and updated.. From the pictures that I had seen online, I expected what I saw and once again was surprised. They have updated their furnishings, have flat screen TVs and DVD players in the room with upgraded amenities.
I had also read that the area at night was kinda sketchy, but I did not notice anything bad or unsafe both nights that we stayed there and we got in late one night and ventured out another. Won't say its in the best part of town, but for sure not the worst.
I would recommend this hotel and would for sure stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BudgetTraveler81
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 14 June 2011

I will let Angela know of your compliments & kind words. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 June 2011

At the end of May, I brought a group of 12 biology students to Tucson for my annual course "Dyanmics of the Sonoran Desert Ecosystem." We stayed at the Royal Sun and couldn't have asked for a more perfect location (both to the Sonoran Desert and to downtown Tucson). The staff was extraordinarily helpful and made our stay there a genuine pleasure. Rooms were immaculate, the pool sparkling clean, breakfast was delicious, and the tavern gave us some time to unwind after a long day in the field.

Kudos to Neil Shah and his staff for making our field experience a treat. I intend to bring another group down next year and, of course, we'll stay at the Royal Sun!

Dr. Gregory McArthur
Professor of Biology
Metropolitan State College of Denver

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

It was our pleasure to host you group. Positive comments from our guests is what drives us to consistently do better in providing clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service.

We appreciate your comments very much & thank you for the business. We will see you next year.