“Nice room, bad room location”

Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We hadn't planned where we would stay for 2 nights in Tucson but saw the sign for a best western from the interstate so thought we would try it.

On the positive side - we had a 2 queen bed room which was presented well. It looked like it had recently been updated. The bathroom was smallish although the shower did take up half the room - it was a very nice shower though. There was a reasonable sink/vanity area which had a large mirror and plenty of space for the coffee facilities. The bed was very comfy.

Free breakfast was served in the adjacent restaurant which was very good. A good selection of hot and cold food and all freshly cooked.

On the negative side - the back of the hotel (looking out from the bathroom window) backed onto an abonded plot of land which immediately had a busy main road running past it. Our room was in the bottom corner on the ground floor opposite the vending machine, under the stairs. The area was dark and dingy which made you feel a bit uneasy when coming back to your room at night when it was dark. The pool and gym area was also in this part of the car park which meant you couldn't park your car anywhere near your room as the pool/gym had utilised a large area of the car park, which for us wasn't very good as we had alot of luggage to take in and out of the car! There is also a road that cuts through the hotel. Admittedly it looks like it doesn't get used much but it would still be a safety concern if I had small children.

Overall, decent enough room but room location and external area lets this hotel down. Not sure I would rate it as a Plus.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I apologize about the vacant land behind the hotel. Unfortunately, it is owned by someone else & they do not keep it in clean & presentable condition. On a positive note, we have recently heard that someone else is purchasing the land & planning on developing it soon. We will try to get in touch with the existing owner & see if they would have it cleaned up. I do appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Our goal is to offer clean & comfortable rooms along with superior guest service to all our guest, every time! I will be sure to share your comments with our staff, I know they will be very happy hear your kind words.

Once again, thank your for your comments & kind words & we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Room is relatively large, (we had a king bed), has a small frig, hook up for land line internet and wireless (good connection for wifi). Room has large walk-in shower, large shower head, large lighted makeup mirror, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, ear plugs. Room/hotel has been remodeled and is in good condition. Ice machine, but needs room a key to us.

A/C worked good for summer time. There is a vending machine for soda and a few snacks. A few amenities you might need might be available at the front desk, ask if they have it.

Hair dryer, iron and board, flat screen approx 40" TV, DVD player, coffee maker and a few coffees. There is a Circle K down the street with a Red Box to rent movies. The clock radio has a plug to plug into you mp3 or iPhone/pod (headphone connection) to listen to music.

It has a nice desk with plugs, nice desk chair and a nice chair with ottoman. They have a nice area outside of each room with a small table and two chairs in front of each room and each patio is separated by a privacy wall.

Relatively close to I-10, and short drive to downtown and eating and shopping on Broadway and close to convention center and University of Arizona, and across the street from Pima Community College. There is a small park across the street. It has a pool, workout area and Jacuzzi are in good condition and they provide towels. Lobby has computer, printer, fax. According to the info, It is pet friendly for a fee

The grounds are well kept and paint must have been in last few years.
Cook to order breakfast, lounge at night with drinks and karaoke on weekends. And let's just say if you like to sing, get there early because the locals come in around 10-10:30, however you are kept in the queue so don't despair. And we were the oldest in the bar and still got to sing and have a good time.

There is a restaurant.

We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Our guests really love our convenient location that is close to U of A, downtown, Tucson Convention Center, Hospitals, Tucson malls, golf courses & easy access to & from freeways I-10 & I-19.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

My family and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last few years. It has been recently renovated and the rooms and grounds are beautiful and quiet. We enjoy using the pool, it is always clean and well-kept. The beds are extremely comfortable. The hotel restaurant breakfast that is included is a great bonus since we were able to start our day well-rested and well-fed. The breakfast items offered were varied and arrived hot and delicious. The staff at the hotel and the restaurant were friendly and helpful. We will be back for another stay at this Tucson Best Western soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Our guests are always complimenting our made to order breakfast offered at the restaurant. It is one of the best made to order breakfast in town. We are thrilled to receive such amazing response. Our guests also enjoy our convenient location that is close to U of A, downtown, Tucson Convention Center, Hospitals, Tucson malls, golf courses & easy access to & from freeways I-10 & I-19.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

After a few days at another hotel, (see "Cross at Crosslands") we decided to upgrade. We were not disapointed with the quality accommodations. Spotless room and bath, good TV, comfortable bed, excellent amenities, and delicious hot breakfast included in room price. Only downside was lipstick stain on the coffee cup at breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 13 August 2012

The representative I spoke to on the phone when I made reservations told me that there was not a pet fee. A few days later a saw an extra charge on my account that was for a pet fee. I was misinformed and mislead. That was the only reason I choose that hotel , because they told me no pet fee. They refused to refund me the fee. They only offer u points or voucher. The area is pretty trashy and there was homeless people out in the parking lot asking my 12 yr old son for money. I will never be staying at any best western hotel again. You would think they wouldnt want to loose customers over $20.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Liz L
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at Best Western Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for taking time to submit this review regarding your stay at our property. I apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding about the pet fee. We have always loved & welcomed pets and our pet fee policy has been in place for a few years now. Your reservation was booked either online or through Best Western reservation center & our pet policy is clearly noted at both places. In order to exceed our guests expectations, we have designated pet rooms & they are cleaned with extra care. We were not notified of you having a pet in your reservation, so we had assigned you a non-pet room. When our housekeeping staff went to clean your room, we discovered that there was a pet in the room & we had to deep clean the room to make sure it is ultra clean for our future guests.

Your business & your loyalty to our hotel is very important to us and the pet fee is merely just a small fee to cover extra cleaning cost. In fact, we want to know if our guest is bringing their pet so that we can put a small gift for them in the room prior to the arrival.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Please feel free to contact me at 520-622-8871 at your convenience & I will be happy to refund your pet fee.

Thank you for the business & we hope you will give us another opportunity serve you in future . . .

Reviewed 11 August 2012

I spent several nights at this hotel when my father was hospitalized at UMC. The hotel was exceptionally clean, quiet, the bed was comfortable and the staff went out of their way to be helpful. The breakfast coupon was great and it fit right in with my diabetic diet. I have lots of problems with my skin and I absolutely love the soaps they provide -- so much so that I called and asked if I could purchase some after my stay. The manager was very helpful. I would highly recommend Royal Sun Inn & Suites.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to CA. The employees were friendly and extremely helpful. Our large suite was immaculate and well stocked with high quality amenities. We were provided with a complementery bottle of wine which we enjoyed while watching a lightening show (complete with a double rainbow) from our front patio. Breakfast was included and we could select from eight different combinations. If you're planning on staying in Tucson we would highly recommend you select this inn. The location is great with easy on/off to I-10

Room Tip: Rooms to the back would be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple