“Still needs some work”

Ranked #17 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Yucca Valley, California
“Still needs some work”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I normally stay at the Best Westerns in town but found that this one just opened so thought I'd give it a try.
Although it was another chain hotel that has been remodeled and looks nice it still has work to do on the details.
The first room I was given had a constant running toilet, so I was moved to another room. Even though the hotel was nearly empty the dates I was there they gave me a room at the far end of the hotel with a window facing the empty parking lot. So I was not thrilled with the room selection and thought the room was pretty expensive for what I got. The room was very basic but clean. However it did not have bath mats and the tub while showering is slippery. Slippery enough that it is very easy to fall. There also was not a shelf to put soap or anything on while showering.
The next day after checking in my key no longer worked and I had to trek all the way back up to the front desk to have it re-done.
The pool area is clean and very nice, and the pool was heated.
The breakfast was pretty small and not as advertised. They had premade omelettes that had been sitting out for quite sometime, they were rubber. You could make a waffle and they had bread and a few muffins, fruit, yogurt and cereal. This was probably the smallest selection of food I've ever seen at a Best Western. Thankfully there is a Denny's around the corner.
There is an attached restaurant to the hotel but I never saw anyone eating there during the nights I was there.
The staff was very, very friendly.
Over all, I'm uncertain about going back to this hotel. It was more expensive than the other two in town and didn't have nearly as many amenities as they do. But it is clean and if you need to be by the airport then I guess it would do.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 January 2013

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 520 746-3932.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
nyc
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I attended a 70th Birthday celebration which was held At the hotel.From the time we checked in until we departed everyone was so nice and professional especially Vanessa At the front desk.The Rooms were done extremely well,also there is a small excercise room and internet use was free of charge.If I am ever in Tucson again I would definitely return to this Hotel.I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Tucson.

• Stayed December 2012
CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed here Dec 9th - 12th and had a very good experience. The hotel has undergone a major face lift very recently since Best Western took over and has a lobby that is pretty impressive for a Best Western - very modern and classy looking. The staff were very courteous throughout our stay and we appreciated their attentiveness. Our double queen sized room had new beds and modern bedding (no yucky bed covers here!), new carpet, decent sized flat screen TV's and fresh paint. The bathroom was fine for us and very clean with enough space to spread all our things out. The breakfast was as advertised and the staff went to the trouble of making me really good scrambled eggs one morning. I used the new computers in the business center and the scanner fed multiple sheets in perfectly. The wi-fi was supposedly being upgraded but is good in the lobby and worked just OK in the room. The pool area is very nicely landscaped and if the weather had been warmer we probably would have enjoyed it some more. I was surprised that we enjoyed a good night's sleep with no airport noise at all during the night. We also did not hear any noise at all from trains and that is saying something after staying in several hotels in the Tucson area. We will be back very soon.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 520 746-3932.

Fort Carson, Colorado, USA
Reviewed 13 December 2012

This hotel was recently remodeled, and it really shows. We scored a suite for four nights at an amazing rate. The nicest room I've ever stayed in by far. Quiet, luxurious place. I'd stay there again!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 17 December 2012

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed aat this hotel the weekend of Dec. 8 and 9 for a softball tourney. We were able to get an awesome rate as a team. The hotel staff was absolutely fabulous. We were greated by a young lady named Tiffany that was very pleasant and very attractive. The rooms were cramped but clean. The beds had plenty of pillows and were comfortable, with a nice flat screen TV. The grounds were nicely landscaped and clean. the breakfast although modest was fine for me since i am not a big breakfast guy. Must say the coffee was good for hotel coffee. I did not like my room being so far from my teammates. I asked to be moved closer and the next day it was done. They also have a very good fitness room with cardio machines, free weights and a weight machine.

Only downside would be it is located in the middle of nowhere. also Alfredo one of the managers a great guy but he appears to be a Yankees fan. Not good lol.

I would recommend this hotel for service, cleanliness and comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are awesome. I believe they are one bed suites but very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear Guest

California
Reviewed 26 September 2012

There was not a shuttle to take us to the hotel. The taxi driver was angry because it was such a short distance. There isn't a sign on the hotel so we weren't even sure we were at the right place. We were met by an unsmiling receptionist. The hotel is remodeling which is no excuse for the bad service and poor quality of our newly redecorated room. There isn't an elevator so we stored our large suitcases at the desk. The hallway stank of dry wall and paint. Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable. I went looking for ice and couldn't find the machine. When I went downstairs to the desk the lady said she would have to go get it which she did. I tried to leave a wake up call which didn't work. I tried called reception several times with no answer. I finally found the receptionist in one of the hallways. The bath tubs are extremely slick. I mentioned it to the man at the desk the next morning and he said, "yes, we know. We are going to get mats." I talked to a woman at breakfast who said that she had fallen in the tub because it was so slick. We had to take the top off the toilet tank to stop the water running every time we flushed. The only bright spot in the hotel is the man who makes the best omelet ever. He was smiling, friendly and gracious.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ninad42
CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
I am very proud to announce that the property has opened as the "New" Best Western Plus Tucson International Airport Hotel and Suites. The property is under new management and has been fully renovated. We pride ourselves on the best customer service possible and make sure that the guest feels as though they are at home when staying here at our property. We invite all those that have not stayed with us to come try our wonderful property with a beautiful courtyard and heated pool and jacuzzi and ask for those that have stayed to come back and see all that we have done to the property. I think you will be very pleased!! We look forward to serving you!
New York
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Check in time was 2 pm. We arrived at 3 and our room was not ready yet so we sat in the lobby. At 3:30 we went back up to the desk and the room was ready. Upon entering our room we gagged. This was a smoking room. There is no way that the room could have smelled that bad unless the carpets have never been deep cleaned. The desk chair was missing a wheel. We went back down to the front desk and asked if we could change rooms. The clerk got nasty and told us that the room that you are assigned is the room that you get and that the hotel was full. I guess everyone in the lobby heard her. There was no reason to treat us like that.

Back in the room we opened the window and turned on the blower. Then we sat in the lobby for awhile. That was a real eye opener. Another person came in and also complained about the smoky room. Then someone came in for three rooms but a mistake had been made and the rooms were shown as for tomorrow. Well, they managed to find two rooms for them. Then a gentleman came in at 5 pm and his room wasn't ready yet.

My husband was looking forward to using the hot tub. Unfortunately, there was a sign on it saying that it was out of order. There was a nice, large deck in the courtyard but it had more paint peeling off of it than was on it. There were tables and chairs but no lounge chairs. A fountain was not working. The business office had two computers but one had a sign on it that it was out of order.

We returned after going out for dinner. The open window in our room and the blower going at full had done nothing for the smoky smell. It was terrible.

The hotel was close to the airport but we won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker be sure to request a non-smoking room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KamaNewYork
CarlosManzanaresGM, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tucson Int'l Airport Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 December 2013