“Fun Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Historic Hotel Congress
Ranked #52 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fun Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Clear your head of the negative reviews you have read and on this hotel and start over. This is a HISTORIC hotel. Hotel Congress is preserving the history with this great location instead of adding all of today's modern bells and whistles. If you want a flat screen TV, a sleep number bed and the ability to connect your iPhone via bluetooth ... keep looking. If you want to have a great time at a fun, historic, haunted hotel in the best part of downtown Tucson this is your place. Everything is old, yes. That being said, our room was sparkling clean. The bathroom was spotless, sheets were fresh and clean, there wasn't dust anywhere. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming ... an amazing experience. Cup Cafe on the first floor is a great place for breakfast, especially if you want to create your own Bloody Mary. Yum. The hotel is within walking distance of other great places like The Hub and Playground. Will I visit again? Yes. Thanks for a great stay Hotel Congress!

Room Tip: You are warned when you book your stay that the property is not quiet. They offer ear plugs, but it...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear OSUCHRIS01,

I am very lucky I get to meet people from all over the world who come to the Hotel Congress and like what we have to offer. We are not for everyone but we are for most. Thank you for being our guest.

See you soon,

Julie@hotelcongress.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Tucson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I'm a native to Tucson. Have stayed at the Congress Hotel several times. This trip I was so very, very disappointed. The place looks to be falling apart, in need of a major renovation. My bed was right next to a window and there was a half inch gap letting cold air and traffic noise in. The tub was filthy. The bathroom overall was quite dirty. Our room was dusty and smelled stale. There are no televisions in any rooms, which I like. Only a telephone and old radio. Unfortunately the outlets (only two in the entire room) were strangely loose and we couldn't get anything to stay plugged in. Radio kept shutting off and we couldn't get our cell phones charged.
No other amenities (water bottles, coffee, room service) are offered. Feels like they're doing everything they can to save a few bucks and scrape by without putting any time or money into the place.

Very sad to see this once beautiful, historic hotel and important piece of Downtown Tucson, going down the toilet.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AZCatie
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear AZCatie,

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, we try very hard to say historic, but your perception of us being run down is disheartening. I would like to have the opportunity to address the issues with your room but after I looked through them I could not find the issues you spoke of. Please reach out to me so I can look into the issues you brought up in your review.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

I was treated warmly from check in until check out. Having moved to Tucson only a few weeks ago and having no family in town, I decided to start a new Christmas Tradition, part of which included staying in the Hotel Congress. The hotel has the feel of being old, dark carpeting and wall paper and no tvs in the rooms, but they do have an old classic radio to listen to. They aren't kidding about the hotel being "loud" My room was on the Congress Street side and you do hear traffic until late, in addition to other guests walking the halls and the occasional freight train. Have no fear though, earplugs are part of the room amenities! So if you are a light sleeper, it is in your best interest to obtain a cactus garden room. As in most historic hotels, this was centrally located in downtown so near a public transportation hub, a good amount of decent restaurants and coffee shops. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and will be back!

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, request a room in the center of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear tptraveler11,

Your review of the Hotel is exactly what we strive for. Thank you for staying with us and your review.

Hotel Rooms Manger
El Paso
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Another great stay at The Congress Hotel. I was there this weekend & had a great time. The staff are always friendly & the atmosphere is "electric". This is just a fun spot. I saw "The Cult" across the street at the "Rialto". You have a bunch of very interesting things to walk to & you get a real good "feel' for Tucson from this spot. Can't say enough good things about the place.

Room Tip: ask for a room that's quieter; not that any will be less than tolerable.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter R
Dear Peter R.,

I am happy to hear you had another great experience, we are lucky to have guests that like to make a night out of what Downtown Tucson has to offer. I hope we can keep exceeding your expectations.

Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at Hotel Congress for two nights on the weekend. It's a lovely building and the service was excellent. Our Cactus Garden Room was basic but quite charming. The first night was a bit noisy due to a private event in Copper Hall, but we still slept very easily. It's hard to beat the price and location, and the hotel has such a wonderful history. I would definitely stay here again! Don't miss Hot Club of Tucson on Sunday mornings; they play Django Reinhardt music and are great.

Room Tip: Cactus Garden Rooms are generally quieter; you will not get noise from the club, bar, or street, but...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Kristin H,

Thank you for staying with us, Sundays are my favorite day because the Hot Club of Tucson plays live music, the Bloody Mary Bar in the Lobby and Brunch in the Cup Café bring out the best crowds. Sorry about the noise some nights there is no escaping it but most of the time guests get into the events for free so if you can't beat them join them.

See you next time.

Hotel Rooms Manger
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Staff was very friendly. Great location for downtown. Extremely clean room, but small and no TV (I expected this from a historic hotel). Lots of street and train noise at all hours of night. Bed was way too soft. I always wanted to stay here and now that I've done it, I probably wont be coming back.

Room Tip: ....Ask for a quiet room away from exterior walls.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear scardott,

I am glad that you finally got to stay here after wanting to for a while, and am even happier that the staff was friendly and added to your stay. Our Hotel is noisy it was built before cars and amplifiers so in hopes to curb that we provide ear plugs in the bathroom, I hope you found them. Our Hotel is not for everyone but thank you for giving us a try.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was in town to attend the All Soul's Procession. The parade route had changed since my last visit, and the hotel staff were quick and capable to inform me of the new route, and arranged free nearby offsite parking for me. There was even a map available at the front desk.

The Hotel Congress is an older hotel with all the quirks you'd expect from an old building. But the facilities were as good as can be expected. The room was retro, and lighting and plumbing were fine.

I left an article of clothing in the closet, and at my request the hotel staff arranged to have the item mailed to me, and I received it several days later.

This is a great place to stay for a taste of Old Tucson.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Robert S.,

Thank you for giving us a second chance, I am glad we got the opportunity to prove to you the type of Hotel we truly are.

See you next time,