“Do Not Stop Here”

Red Roof Inn Tucson South
Ranked #84 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
“Do Not Stop Here”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Where should I start? High rates, filthy, hairy room. Dogs by/in the pool. Keep driving, look around a little more. Key cards are ancient, not secure. WiFi required a call to a toll free number, which seemed expected as it was printed on all motel materials. My tablet warned me of security issues, which has been a first on on two week USA road trip. Cardboard towels, dirty carpets, and 0 amenities about glazed the cake.

Room Tip: Go Anywhere Else!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coronado d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this location a handful of times. It is never consistent. This past visit will be my last the front desk lady was rude and it seemed like I was interrupting her from gossiping with the other employees. They were speaking Spanish to each other like I wasn't even standing there. Awkward I got my keys and then the door would not open I return to the office where mayra so politely made it sound like it was my fault or something. I returned annoyed but was able to get inside. The room was clean but had a slight cigarette odor. The bedspread looked worn out the furniture should have been retired 10 years ago. I removed the bedspread and the sheets looked ok. Later that night I discovered the outlet by the bathroom sink didn't work and the bathroom light flickered. I mentioned these at check out where it fell on the same deaf ears. This place has really gone down hill in the past few months. I think my next trip I'll give some where else a try

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank staynplay9

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels

Renton, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Due to my previous experience at the Red Roof Inn in Gallup, NM, I chose this chain again for my stay in Tucson. There were several ways in which this Red Roof Inn didn't live up to what I was used to, however the lack of cleanliness was really, well, just gross. There was a bunch of pee stains in front of the toilet, scum around the fixtures in the tub and sink, grime in all the corners, and yeah - I just don't want to think about anything else. I was exhausted from driving all day and I'd overheard the guy at the front desk say there weren't any other rooms available, or I would have surely made a fuss to either have it cleaned or leave to go somewhere else. YUCK!

I was also disappointed that each room didn't come with a fridge and microwave, so paid the $5 extra to have this available. Since there's a Denny's attached, they don't provide breakfast. All the local channels on the satellite were out.

The folks at the front desk were really nice though, especially the lady I chatted with in the morning.

Note that I'm a gal in my 50s who raised a couple of boys by herself. I put bait on hooks, gut fish, and can dress out a rabbit. In other words, I'm not a delicate flower that freaks out at a little dust. This place is just really dirty, and it's pretty gross.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank seawinters
Star, Idaho
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here several years ago so when passing through Tucson this trip we opted to stay at the Red Roof. It was fairly convenient to I-10 and a lot of the sights we wanted to see. The price was decent for this time of year (Spring Break). The first two hours after check-in were quite a mess. We had one of the "Superior" kings - after unloading the car we noted some quirks - the refrigerator wasn't on and it was missing a temperature dial. Maintenance checked it out and had a hard time moving the remaining knob. About a half hour after he left we checked it out - it was not cold at all. We moved the unit and found it was unplugged - but after we plugged it in it still didn't work. Fortunately the front desk found a replacement and switched them out. About this time we noted there was no trash can in the room - none at all - that was odd. Another trip to the front desk and we picked up a trash can. We tried to get some ice but the ice machine was broke. Not a very good first impression!

Things got better after that - no issues for the next three days. Overall, not a bad place to stay. The staff was friendly and professional - that helped.

Note - this Red Roof does not have breakfast but you get 10% off at the adjacent Denny's if you show your room key.

Room Tip: Convenient to the Pima Air Museum, Mission San Xavier del Bac, Saguaro National Park East and Coloss...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Akwinelvr
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Always stay here when in Tucson. Staff is friendly and helpful. In particular, altho I'm late noting this, Irene at reception desk was especially helpful on the first two occasions I stayed at facility. Didn't see her the third time. Rooms could be improved by adding a more comfortable chair instead of straight back chair provided. A front desk area customer computer terminal would be helpful for those of us not on Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: 'Courtyard' rooms are best to avoid freeway noise, though none of rooms are bad. The premier...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Scurry
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

The location is nice. Receptionist was very courteous. The room was clean and quiet. We needed tooth paste we went to the office and she was very nice and friendly. Denny's was right there, nice and good food as usual.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
i0225, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tucson South, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Tracy S,
Thank you for taking the time to review our inn. I’m glad you found the hotels location convenient, the room clean, quiet and the staff courteous.
I will be sharing your review with my staff as they enjoy reading our reviews and how they are doing.
Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Tucson.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel was very close to the jewelry show and a Denny's was connected to the hotel. The price of the hotel was raised due to the convention. The room was comfortable but the free wi-fi was in and out. The water was hot and staff was friendly. The maid service seemed to rush on cleaning in the room and I felt it could of been done better.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lee M,
Thank you for taking the time to review our inn. I’m glad you found the hotels location convenient, the room comfortable, the water hot and the staff friendly. I apologize that the Wi-Fi was in and out during your stay. I will notify our service provider.
I will be sharing your review with my staff and remind housekeeping not to rush when doing their daily maid service.