“Lots of Green”

Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park
Ranked #37 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 6 June 2009

My family and I stayed here several days when we could not get a place over at Las Posadas Casitas. (I've stayed solo at that other hotel and love it to death for its serenity and Spanish architecture). Doubletree is a pleasant place to relax at. But . . . for part of the time we had a smoking European girl above us (what's up with so many young people from Europe STILL smoking like it's the 1970s and everyone just found out how dangerous it is?).
We stayed in the Doubletree casitas since we were traveling with our two dogs. I would recommend staying in these, even if you don't have pets . . . our downstairs had sliding glass doors and access to an open patio and beautifully manicured lawns that meandered around . . . lovely grounds, grass, trees, birds . . . we would have missed ALL of this being in the tower. Plus, as long as you keep your dogs on leash, you can explore the grounds, lay some towels out on the grassy areas, and enjoy the smell of the grapefruit trees with their giant fruit dropped here and there. This place would be a wonderful oasis in the heat of the summer . . .
Across the street is the zoo, along with attractive Saguro cacti and Palo Verde trees in full yellow bloom. Personally, I became addicted to walking the three or so mile trail around the zoo and golf course. It is a great place to people watch, as tons of locals walk and jog around it. Lots of dog lovers have their mutts with them - but one family had an unleashed chihuahua which came right up and bit one of my dogs. Lucky for them, my other dog did not immediately react, as she would have turned that mean thing into hamburger. Shockingly, the family did not even apologize for this errant behavior. They just acted like nothing happened. So be on the lookout for unleashed dogs by some of the locals.
The absolutely breathtaking Tucson Gardens is on the same road - about two miles north of Doubletree. I had never been there & decided to visit it after much hemming and hawing (I didn't want to pay the $10 dollar entrance fee) and pouring over satellite imagery, which did not do it justice. Even though the Doubletree Hotel is on a busy road, the enchanting gardens somehow made it quiet to the point of stillness - besides an area that just highlights the cacti of the Sonoran desert & also the Chihuahuan desert, there is even a giant Saguro cacti that is the rare "curled" variety . . . something I have never ever seen . . . it doesn't even look like a Saguro. Lots of shady trees and wildflowers (and a nice spot for kids to play in, in the center).
Unfortunately, a lot of desert trails in the vicinity do not allow pets, so we had to head to the nearby Catalina Mountains for hiking. This turned out to be a good thing, as the far cooler air was much more dog friendly (it was only in the 70s down in Tucson, but cold enough up in the mountains that I had to move around just to stay warm).
I did not visit the adjacent restaurant, don't drink but saw that they have an attractive bar right inside the checkin area. Their gift shop is quite pleasant and staffed by a friendly older lady. I found that some of the staff might need some remedial training in how to make Italian visitors feel more welcome. I'm not Italian nor am I a foreigner but one young lady just did not understand how she was adding to the stress of a group of Italian travelers by her impatient demeanor and lack of understanding that if your first language is not English, one must speak s-l-o-w-l-y and gently. Having traveled around the globe, I understand that a calm, friendly tone and patient demeanor can add significantly to one's sense of happiness . . .
it can make or break a trip, especially if you are in the throes of culture shock, which they seemed to be.
In sum, I would return to Doubletree, as it is so very convenient and attractive . . . a great place to stay if you are exploring Tucson for the first time and would like to go about town on foot. My family LOVED Tucson and wants to come back every year.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Forgottensage

Reviewed 22 May 2009

I got bed bugs from this hotel. At first I couldn't figure it out because I've never had it before and there were only a couple bites. I thought they were mosquito bites from hanging out at the pool. The next morning, they were all over my feet. I told hotel management and they didn't believe me and charged me for the full stay. After I left, I made a complaint with the city's health department. And magically, hotel management called me back after I had left numerous messages. They sent me a voucher to stay there again; like I would ever come back! Please save yourself the grief and stay away! It took months for the bites to go aways and believe me; they were painful.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Viviann9
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I’d give it four stars, 42 inch plasma TV, no microwave, fridge or safe. There is a tower building but I had a large room in the two story connected wings. Ground floor rooms have patios, second floor only windows. Lovely grounds. Free w-fi. Maybe 20 minutes drive from downtown.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Gary G
Reviewed 30 March 2009

The place is much nicer than the photos on the hotel website. Comfortable rooms, BIG flat panel TV, good size poolsurrounded by semi-cabana style lounge chairs. Whirlpool and excersise room another plus.
I would stay again. Directly accross the Reid Park Golf course in the center of Tucson(not center of Financial area). There is a great sunday buffet at the main Cactus Rose resturant, the adjoining 'Catalina' restuarant was acceptable. Free computer use in lobby, Kwiki Mart directly next store.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gar l
Reviewed 12 March 2009

The hotel service was very good, I recieved a very clean room and everything was to my liking. The bed is second only to the Denver Marriott West, Wolfgang coffee in the room and Neutrogena EVERYTHING from soap to lotions! The free in-room internet access was a delight (if you bring your laptop) and the lobby has three computers for free internet as well!
The staff was very friendly and personable-as you get to know them. I stayed five days here and felt quite welcome by all. The pool is very nice as it compliments a comfy exercise room. Accross the beautiful courtyard filled with plants-flowers-fruit bearing trees, there are many first floor rooms including a MESSAGE office (which I regretably did not have time to explore). At least I have something to look forward to on my next trip!
A wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Jshangshang
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I was visiting my daughter at the University of Arizona and chose this location because it was close and Doubletree has a good reputation, I thought.
I was very happy with the accomodations and location. The building has been completely renovated inside and if anything, it is the outside that looks very tired. I was told those renovation plans are in the works also.
The rooms were spacious and well appointed. I was there on a quiet weekend so my room was quiet and comfortable.
The location is mid-way between the campus due west and Park Place Shopping mall to the east. I am a big walker, and right across the street from the hotel is Reid Park which is the main municipal park of the City. There is a paved mulit use 3 mile trail which winds through the park and around. There is a golf course, tennis courts, the Zoo, and more on this site and it borders one of the historic districts.
I have stayed in Tucson before in the foothills which have their own beauty, but for this trip the location was perfect!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank rjmRochester
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We were in Tucson for my brothers wedding and booked the double tree at the last minute through priceline.

The pros:
1. The staff was fantastic and attentive.
2. The room was very nice, nice plasma tv, nice bedding.
3. The hotel room service was FANTASTIC and reasonably priced.
4. The hotel restaurant was very nice - I HIGHLY recommend the Sunday brunch - we took my brother and his new family there to celebrate the day after their wedding, it was a huge hit with every one - even the kids! It was definitely a 5 star brunch! Crab legs included and champagne! It is rated in the best of Tucson (rightly so!) The wait staff is stellar.
5. The gift shop is very nice
6. The grounds/pool/work out facility is excellent.
7. The lobby and lounge are really cool.
8. Parking is free and ample.
9. The wi-fi worked great.
10. Nice toiletries
11. Ice machines and soda machines on every floor.
12. Close to every thing - and right near a really nice park and zoo. I was able to take my niece and nephew to the zoo for the day (only 10 dollars for the 3 of us!)

Cons: *** non really any ***
I wish we could have had a fridge in the room (small one) or the option of having one. But it wasn't really a big deal.

Overall it was a great place to stay, and we will be definitely staying here again, and definitely will be heading back to the Sunday brunch!

I wish I could remember the waitress who helped us on Sunday during brunch - she was one of the highlights of our stay! She was so friendly, and seemed to know everyone who walked in. We had 2 kids with us that day and she was so helpful and great with them. The chefs at the brunch were also fantastic - even entertaining the kids (and us).

Next time you are in Tucson, be sure to check out this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ncreviews