“Just what we needed/wanted”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tucson Airport
Ranked #33 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Edmonton, Canada
“Just what we needed/wanted”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We needed a base on the south side of Tucson for 3 nights. After looking at reviews and comments, we decided on the DoubleTree Tucson Airport. We were pelased with our stay and our room.

As others have noted, the bathroom is small - tub, toilet and room for the door to swing. I am a 2XL, and I managed but it is not comfortable. But then, unless you have bad TexMex, how long do you sit there? Tub was normal size, no issue there. Our 2 queen room was quite comfortable other than the small bathroom. The pool was nice, larger than some, and the hot tub was hot. Lightly used, not sure if the hotel was full or not.

I was surprised how quiet the room was being quite literally next to the airport. 2 mornings there were fighter jets overhead, but no hotel is going to mask that and it is not their issue. At least it was 8:30 in the morning.

My only real complaint is arounf the WiFi which I found to be "wonky". It was always there but my connection reset far too frequently. I used a signal analyzer and where I was the signal strength was only about 45% - - 80%+ is "normal". Sometimes I could go 20 min+ without issue, sometimes only 3-5 minutes. I suspect my room was in a weak spot, and from the hot tub I noticed what I think are the antennas - right in the middle on the roof. And my room was - right in the middle of the building. I wasn't working, so I just dealt with it. It wasn't awful, just not very good either. Emails were fine, video was not.

I didn't try Finnegan's or the buffet - I am not a HH member and thought $13 p.p. extra was a bit much for breakfast. The couple of small requests of the staff were handled well.

It was a clean, comfortable room with lots of space, a m/w and fridge - just what I wanted. In a future reno if they could expand the bathroom slightly ....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Hercules, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel looked clean and nice. I think it was good for what I paid for my room. The bed was the best part. It was so comfortable that I didn't want to get up. I was there for a conference so it was good for that. The negatives were that I was unable to order room service. I was told that the there was something wrong with the computer so I was hungry with now option until the following morning. The breakfast buffet was okay. What made it even better was that it was included with my room.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

caldwell, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The front desk was very helpful and the arrangement with Finnegans is great! When a 'switch' in hotels were needed there was 'no problem'. I will select a Double Tree any time. When I had a little concern with getting my booking with airlines, the front desk was there to help and that there was 'no problem'.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Chandler, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a week while in the area on business. I shared the room with a co-worker but the room gave us plenty of room. We stayed in a 2 room suite which contained all of the expected amenities. The bathrooms are a little small but it is a hotel. The grounds are rather spread out but this makes it nice that you aren't dealing with loud neighbors when the hotel is not at capacity. The onsite breakfast was very good and had both a continental buffet as well as cook to order. There is ample parking and a nicer workout room than most hotels. I was told by the staff that the hotel is new to the area but that the building was more than 30 years old. I would not have guessed this; Hilton did a very good job renovating this facility when they took over. You can't get closer to the airport but I didn't notice any associated noise. Not much for food in the area but the onsite restaurant has a good variety and serves average food. The staff is friendly and helpful too.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 23 February 2014

As many of the other reviewers, I am also a Diamond member and stay at Hilton's exclusively and often. After a while you start to expect a certain level of service and cleanliness. I recently stayed here for 5 nights and this Doubletree is just average. The Pros; location to the airport, it is less than a 5 minute easy walk after you return your rental car and there is no airport noise, staff were all very friendly, the suites are a good size (except where the toilet and tub are located), the AC worked fine for me but not in the room where my business partner stayed, bed was comfortable. Cons; the cleanliness is haphazard. Elevator tracks and floors are dirty, sometimes I would have clean towels but be missing the bathmat, there were white stains on the coffee table that were never removed, yes we were told that we could get free drink coupons every night but after two nights we were told they had discontinued that service. The biggest problem though is with "Finnegan's" the hotel restaurant. We ate there three nights and every night the server's were overworked. The server told me they were short staffed and it appeared that the two servers each had about 10 tables. The server's were friendly but so rushed that it took a long time to get the food and then often it was poorly prepared. Sauces were too spicy and food was cold. The last night we were there it took us an hour and a half to get our food. I would stay there again only if the other Hilton's near the airport were full.

2 Thank B B
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 February 2014

To start with I'm a Hilton diamond member which means I spend way too much time in Hilton hotels during the year. I also tend to notice small differences between the hotels.

We visited during the weekend of Feb 15th.

Overall the hotel is older but is in pretty good repair. The rooms appear to been redone recently, the furniture is of the same style of the new hotels. The rooms were very clean and the bed was very comfortable.

I was surprised to see that the rooms opened to the outside and not into a hallway. All the rooms appear to open to the courtyard where there was a nice looking pool and some nice lawn furnature/tables to sit at. Both were heavily used as people were enjoying the nice weather. There is good security within the hotel.

Each room was a suite. The first room contained a couch, chair, table and chairs, tv and then a bar area that included a sink, microwave and a small fridge. The room was very clean. The one thing that would keep me from staying here again was the weak air conditioning. We set the fan to high and to a low temperature and I don't think it ever got below 75F. I can only imagine what it would feel like in the summer months.

The bedroom had new furniture. The bed was very comfortable and the room was dark. It was near the airport but I only occasionally heard a plane. The bathroom was unusual. The sink was in the bedroom and the toilet and the tub was in a separate room. The sink had been replaced and as I have found the Hilton brand has replaced the sinks with counters that are extremely high. I'm 5'6" and I have to stand on tiptoe to wash my face without getting water everywhere. The toilet and tub area could do with a renovation. As someone stated earlier, it is a very small room. If you happen to be on the larger size, you'll be hard pressed to use the room comfortably.

I was a bit disappointed in the service at the hotel. These are small issues, but being a frequent guest, if they could improve some of the small issues, it would make the stay more enjoyable. When we checked in the cookies (Doubletree trademark) were not ready. We stayed at the hotel for 2 days and stopped by the front desk 3 times before they had cookies. It's a minor thing, but noticeable when it's not done well.

Breakfast. The breakfast area is nice area. The food areas are spread apart so it's easy to get to the different types of food. They have rolls, bread, fruit (both whole and cut up), eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, pancakes, tea, coffee, cereal. It was a great selection. Again, small changes could improve the overall impression of breakfast. The hot food tended not to be always hot (pancakes). Access to the food was challenging. The serving trays had very large covers and you had to stretch across to lift the cover. I burned myself several times. A different design would improve access. They had an omelet station set up but it wasn't staff the first day. It was available the second day.

Dinner. If you are are diamond member they provide a drink each evening. It was a very good quality drink. We didn't eat there, but the food looked very good. The drink specials were very good, $2 beer when were were there.

The hotel is close to I-10. There are a number of fastfood restaurants in the area. We didn't see any nice or mid-level types of restaurants close by. Downtown is about a 15 minute drive and is easy access. There is a Costco a couple of exits toward town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HaFinkne
Charleston SC
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our recent stay at this Hilton property was pretty rough. After checking in we discovered our room smelled musty because the A/C didn't work. So we moved to a second room--smelled better, but still no A/C. Response from the front desk: "The A/C isn't working anywhere". Turns out there was a lot that wasn't working. One of the elevators was busted. The only ice machine was marked "out of order". To try and relieve the heat in our room we tried to jimmy open a window which didn't let in much air but sure let in a lot of road noise.. We left for our AM flight exhausted after no sleep.

Look--I get it--this is a Doubletree property near the airport, it ain't the RItz. But I do expect some of the basic creature comforts, and one this day in February, this hotel didn't deliver.

As a longtime Hilton Diamond member, I have to ask other Hilton frequent patrons: Do you get the sense, as I do, that the overall quality of the chain is slipping? This isn't the first time in recent memory I've had a memorable off night at a Hilton Property, and I wonder if this is just random bad luck or a trend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hodmeister
Ilse O, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
On behalf of the entire Doubletree Suites by Hilton Tucson Airport Team I would like to apologize in regards to the concerns you experienced with the air conditioning system, ice machine and scent of the original suite you were provided. Please know our main focus is guest comfort, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to further discuss your concerns. My most genuine apologies one more time, hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.