“Way to good to miss. You just smile all the time your there”

Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The best location, service & food. We smiled our entire stay. It's not a regular hotel it's a new standard. Built long ago maybe 50+ years ago

• Stayed: December 2011
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you for joining us from the Windy City and contributing thoughts on your stay. I am not sure I can sum up a guests feelings better than smiling your entire stay which brings a smile to my face to see. The Hotel was built in 1929 and I hope we can keep the "new standard" up for the next 82 years as well. Come back and see us when you need another respite from the Chicago winter and contact me anytime if I can assist with any planning. Regards

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We spent six wonderful nights at this small, friendly, beautiful resort. Our room was large, yet cozy - and our king-sized bed was so comfortable. We'd walk out the door to the most amazing vivid blue skies, sunshine, and an amazing array of cacti and other plants. It felt so private, yet we knew there were other guests, as there were a number of cars in the parking area. The people who work there are warm and helpful. In fact, John, one of the folks at the desk, went out of his way to provide suggestions about some "must see" places - and even printed out some maps for us. When we ran into him later in the day as we were strolling around the grounds, he gave us an impromptu tour and an introduction to the local plants and critters. He has an amazing wealth of information, and his enthusiasm is contagious. While we were at the casual bar/lounge area, we enjoyed a great dinner, nice tart margueritas, and a delicious dessert prepared by the pastry chef, Marcos, who recently moved to Tucson from NY. Even the general manager introduced himself to us - and was as warm and friendly as everyone else. The only thing that wasn't as wonderful as the rest of our experience was the meal we had at The Grill - but, I'm pretty confident that the people who oversee this incredible place will institute necessary changes.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us here at the Hacienda. I am very pleased that our property was able to both provide fine room accomodations and the unique landscapes and views the Sonoran Desert provides us. I am are encouraged to see individuals named on these reviews for taking the time to get to know guests and provide them with more personal attentive service. I am happy to pass along your thoughts to both John and Marcos and to Tom, the General Manager you met. Anytime you would like to come visit we are happy to welcome you back.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at this charming hotel. It was off the beaten track and provided a great view of the Tucson valley. We stayed in one of the suites as you first enter the hotel property, with a separate bedroom, large living room area with wood fireplace and private patio. What impressed us the most about this property was the first class customer service. Everyone we met with went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and fulfill our every need. After returning from a wonderful casual dinner at Terraza (recommend the stuffed peppers and grass fed hamburgers - amazing), a staff member came to our suite in the pouring down cold rain and lit a blazing wood fire for us in our room. The only reason I give it 4 versus 5 stars is that the property needs some updating. Mainly the pool and hot tub area, and the landscaping in the far outskirts of the hotel. Great romantic hideaway and highly recommended!

Room Tip: All rooms are ground level. Suites away from courtyard are more private.
2  Thank phoenixtraveler0
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2011

Thank you for spending an evening with us here at the Hacienda. I appreciate your constructive comments about the pool and landscaping areas where we can and are working to make improvements. I am thoroughly pleased to hear our staff was able to meet all of your needs especially during a difficult weather situation. Braving the elements is worth making our guests comfortable. We look forward to seeing you in the future

Reviewed 6 December 2011

We just returned from a long weekend at Hacienda del Sol and I couldn't wait to write this review. The grounds are beautiful as are the views in every direction. We stayed in one of the deluxe king rooms and it was wonderful, large and comfortable, with a small patio looking out over the city. The king bed was luxuriously comfortable. It was during a rainy, cold snap and the room proved warm and cozy. While not necessarily a 5-star room, it was decorated in a warm, tasteful, southwestern theme, had good quality sheets and towels, a flat screen TV and was very pleasant. We really enjoyed it. There are several price points for rooms, and this was in the middling range.
The restaurants (the Grill and Terazzo) were both great for the different experiences. The Grill is the fancier one, and we had an enjoyable meal there. We didn't think it was overly priced for what it was, but we are from Chicago, and are used to paying a lot more for similar restaurants. The food varied from outstanding to very good, depending on the item. Service was outstanding. We had a table overlooking the city and it was a very romantic spot. We loved the Terazzo for value and service. The food was excellent and delicious. We didn't eat outside as it was a bit cold for me even with all the heaters going, but I can't wait to come back in fine weather and sit outside!. Service was outstanding as well here.
The lobby and all the amenities of the hotel are superb. We are planning to return and that is high praise because we usually use our weekend trips as a way to experience new places. We loved this place and are looking forward to a return trip when we can do some horseback riding and swim in the pool.

1  Thank jenkins_2004

Thank you for such a lovely and detailed review. Your excitement to write the review speaks volumes and I am very happy to hear both our hotel and restaurants matched your high standards and expectations. I am sorry the weather could was not better however I am glad to hear your room provided cozy comfort during the rain and cold. I welcome you back during our warmer months so you can take advantage of the outdoor dining and amenities like the pool and hot tub. Regards

Reviewed 17 November 2011

My husband and I originally stayed here on our wedding night before leaving the next morning for our honeymoon, so we wanted to return and reminisce. The property is located in a beautiful area of Tucson, and it looks very much the same as it did six years ago, with an intimate feel and polished, welcoming staff. It sort of reminds me of a B&B (minus the breakfast); the rooms are historic and unique, with charming common areas, and there's a guestbook in the entry hall for visitors to sign. We love the wood-burning fireplace in the lobby, which spreads a lovely scent throughout the resort during the evening. We stayed in room 30, a historic queen room on the second floor. The view of the courtyard and Tucson's city lights was enjoyable. Our room had a small refrigerator in the closet. On Friday and Saturday night, we could hear the music being played by the band performing classic rock and country songs in the restaurant below.

Room Tip: Second-floor rooms have great views of Tucson's city lights
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

First of all thank you for returning to stay and getting re-acquainted with us after such a special occasion 6 years ago. I am glad to hear you enjoyed both our guest signing book and nightly fire, these touches are definately meant to give our place a cozy and intimate ambiance. Thank you for those all helpful traveler tips you give about the views from our 2nd floor historic rooms, the height of them does allow for some of the best views in the hotel. Congratulations on 6 years of marriage and hopefully you will visit in six more years or even sooner. Regards

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Hacienda del Sol has a ton of charm and history. The public areas are gorgeous and our room (36) had two beds, was quiet and had a private patio which was very nice. This hotel is advertised as a 5 star facility but does not quite make it. Our room needed/?needs a thorough going over. Broken chair, no light over the desk, sliding door to the patio was very hard to open. Well, the list went on. The service was very good but someone needs to take a fine tooth comb to the facilities. This place has potential.

Room Tip: Room 36 is a separate duplex attached to another room. A casita sort of. Double beds. Quiet room b...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EmilyUlrika
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to both provide some positive feedback and to give us insights on things we need to look at in order to bring our guest rooms up to the high standards our guests expect. I would like to apologize to you for us not making sure every detail of your room was in working order and did not meet your expectations. I do appreciate you providing specifics of where we can make improvements and we have immediately began to take the necessary steps of fixing these areas. I hope we can have you rteturn in the future and give you the 5 star stay you are looking for.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We celebrated our mom's 80th birthday at Hacienda Del Sol and had a group of 9 people staying at the ranch. We had a fantastic time and I would definitely recommend it. We rented 3 units and had meals at both restaurants. Their was a slight mix up on one of our dinner reservations and we were given a "private" room (curtained off) which was absolutely perfect as we had 11 people and were able to hear everyone without disturbing others (as sometimes a large group of people can). The food and service were both EXCELLENT! All of our food was brought at once by MANY waiters and taken away in the same manner. There were also many nice touches that you will find out about if you dine here.

The rooms were great. Clean, nicely decorated appropriately to the ranch. My nieces and nephews did a guided ride. We spent some time in the pool and hot tub. The only disappointment was that my sister and I wanted to do the yoga class on Saturday and the Garden walk on Sunday and both were cancelled. They did make an accomidation to us for canceling the yoga.

The grounds are beautiful and the staff were all very nice and accomidating. They had a very large wedding the weekend we were there and we felt that we were defintiely taken care of and not ignored because we were a smaller group.

Room Tip: Don't really have advise on this.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Thank you for choosing the Hacienda to celebrate such a special occasion and I am thrilled to hear that both the hotel and the Grill restaurant were able to provide a memorable experience for your party. I would like to apologize for the last minute cancelling of the Yoga class and nature walk, our instructor came down ill Saturday morning although I an happy to hear we made some accomodation for you. I will definately pass on all the kind words to our Grill management regarding both the food and service. Lastly it is very encouraging to hear that your group was treated with the same level of service as the larger wedding group, we try and assist every single guest with the same attention no matter size or scope. I hope we can help celebrate your mother's 90th Birthday in the future. Regards