“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #3 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The negative reviews of Hacienda del Sol don't really do it justice.

I was at the Hacienda del Sol just this weekend. I had hesitated before booking because of a few negative reviews, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was quite nice.

My husband and I stayed in one of the historic rooms on the courtyard, which is landscaped with desert flora - lots of cacti, shrubs, flowers. The effect is a bit overdone, but it blocks any view of the rooms across the way and gives a sense of privacy.

The room was fairly spacious, very quiet, and nicely appointed. It was also very clean. Accommodations are depicted honestly on the hotel's website, although the rooms are a bit darker than in the photographs.

The HVAC units are attached to the walls, but that's to be expected in a property that's made of adobe and more than 80 years old. The a/c unit had a low hum but it was not bothersome.

The bathroom had a pedestal sink, a recessed wooden medicine cabinet, and a standard tub surrounded by floral blue-and-white tile. Storage space for toiletries is minimal compared to a a double sink, but we made do with the medicine cabinet and the 8-inch ledge of the bathroom window. Plenty of hot water, fluffy towels, and quick housekeeping service; the bed was very comfortable and was made by 12 noon every day.

Older reviews mention unclean rooms with pests. I did not see anything of the kind during my stay, and I am scrupulous about staying in spotless hotels.

The hotel is not cheap. The gov't rate is $90 a night during the week, but that's not always available. With a AAA discount, I paid maybe $50-60 more a night than one would at a nice Holiday Inn or Hampton. Still, it's a historic hotel in the desert, and worth the expense.

We didn't eat at the grill; it was out of our budget. $42 for monkfish? Yeah, right. I wish the prices had been more reasonable. Nevertheless, I was told the food was good by people who had eaten there.

The horseback riding (Spanish Trail Outfitters) was excellent. Solid, active horses, interesting terrain (lots of hills), and our guide, Nicki, was lovely and outgoing.

My only quibble is with the reservation process. There was some confusion on the hotel's part when it came to the type of room reserved and the length of my stay. If you have your hotel confirmation in hand, though, the front desk will not give you any problems. Also, when I reserved the room, I had asked for a standard discount (AAA, gov't, etc.) At the time, I was told that the rate wasn't available. But when I checked out, the clerk asked me why I had not gotten the discounted rate.

That being said, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank misskitka1
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Miss,
Thank you for coming to visit us from the Nations Capital. It is great to hear that you chose to come see us despite a few negative reviews recently. We feel the totality of reviews over the years represents more of who we are. We are always learning from our mistakes.
Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness and prompt service of your room. Our housekeepers work tirelessly to ensure a clean environment. We recently did some more detailed work in the rooms to address the occasional bug issue.
Truth in advertising is a must in this industry so I appreciate hearing that what we show online. reflects what guests stay in. We had our designer out this week to tackle some furnishing and the lighting issue you bring up. The courtyard bathrooms were made for girls of the 1940's. It is hard to expand these while keeping the charm and decor.
Thank you for using our Stables on property, I will share your review with their owner, they should hear the great positive feedback they are doing for our guests.
My apologies for the lack of clarity on your rate during the reservation process. We should always be super clear and confirm all the details with guests before finalizing the reservation. I spoke to the Agent who assisted you and we are working on the phone reservation process with him. I hope in the end we were able to make everything right with your rate and room type.
We would love to have you come stay again, please contact me if I can assist with future accurate reservations. Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Korean first
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I meant to write this sooner, but even months later, I remember vividly how wonderful our stay was. The couples massage was great. They have a lovely courtyard. We stayed in one of the suites which had a fireplace and a nice patio with great views. Very nice indeed! We were disappointed that we couldn't have our anniversary dinner in the acclaimed Grill restaurant. When we went for dinner we learned that there was a private party that night. However, we did have a nice dinner on the Patio, and the Managing General Partner treated us to a fabulous champagne breakfast delivered to our suite the next morning. It made for an awesome anniversary stay!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Andrews,
Thank you for coming to stay with us back in January, we appreciate you taking time to write a review even now, its never to late to tell fellow travelers and us about your experiences. Great to hear you enjoyed the Spa services, I hope the Package you were on worked seem less and was a good value for you. Suite # 42 you stayed in does have some of the best views here because you get all of the mountains, city lights and even some desert landscapes.
My sincere apologies you were not able to dine in the Grill on your Anniversary, you certainly should have been notified of any restaurant changes ahead of your stay or bare minimum at check in so you could have made alternate plans if necessary. I am glad you enjoyed the Terraza causal dining that night. Kudos to Tom our Owner for going above and beyond in trying to make up for the previous nights disappointment on your special weekend.
Congratulations on your anniversary and we hope you'll come stay with us on one of your next ones. Regards
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Outstanding service - from housekeeping to management. Stunning views of Tucson and Catalina mountains. Felt like a good TCM movie with all the modern conveniences. Meals were very good - breakfast through dinner.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m m
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear MM,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip from the Buckeye State. It was our pleasure to extend the service that guests expect and deserve. We appreciate the mention of this level of service, it helps us know we are on the right track and makes us proud. Thank you for taking the time to also dine with us, I hope you enjoyed our new menus which were recently unveiled. Next time you are out West please stop and see us again. Regards
anywhere warm!
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I attended a wedding held at this hotel and stayed for the weekend in one of the regular rooms.

Positives: 1.) very pretty courtyard; 2.) restaurants are good

Negatives: 1.) The rooms and especially the bathrooms look like they were last redone in the '70's. I saw one of the suites, which were similar in condition. My friend stayed at a casita, which was nicer, but definitely not worth the increased cost. 2.) Since all rooms are located around the courtyard, it is very very noisy. I felt really bad for the non-wedding guests who had to put up with all commotion. 3.) Staff are not super friendly or helpful. I dragged my suitcase up the long driveway and through the grounds, passing several hotel employees--none of whom offered to help or even said hello. I then waited for 15 minutes at the front desk for someone to show up to check me in (it was 3pm).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelbug199
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Travel,
Thank you for coming to stay with us over the special occasion weekend. I do hope in spite of the room and service challenges you were able to enjoy a fun filled weekend of wedding festivities. I appreciate your positive comments and would like to address the others, while negative these can help us identify areas to concentrate and improve on. Your room in the courtyard is identified as a Historic room. These rooms are in fact from the 1930's. While we have upgraded the beds, flat screen TV's and amenities we do try and keep them as original as possible. I do agree these rooms are not for every traveler, as a Historic Hotel of America we try and preserve the architecture and feeling from days gone by.
We do try and address the courtyard noise issue by requiring wedding/groups to book all of these rooms for events so that other guests are not put in the middle of the noise.
Your 3rd negative is where I do have the most concern and there is frankly no excuse for the lack of service given to you. Common greetings are not only hotel policy for everyone but just good manners and I do apologize even this basic tenet was not provided. I would expect all of our employees to offer assistance with luggage and again we failed you on this. Personally I have seen many employees in every department offer help, directions etc to guests and people just wandering the grounds. I do not understand why this did not occur in your situation. I will absolutely be reading this review in meetings to highlight your feelings and re-emphasize our commitment to providing the highest level of service to everyone. Regards
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night. Been out to dinner with friends and came back for a night cap before retiring however much to our discuss 9.45 pm the bar was closed. Yep closed. Advised to got to the gift shop in the lobby to buy some wine as we walked passed found a very uninterested man sitting at reception and the shop closed. No night cap for us . Mmm room sve I thought nope that finished at 9 pm. Shame your staff were disinterested. Your rooms are rather dated with noisy air conditioning units and you seem to be living off the dream of calling them authentic. The bathrooms are tiny, the closet is huge with an empty fridge tucked away inside it. Great idea to have wine glasses in the room ... Shame no wine available. Same with the dressing gowns .. No slippers.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Pd1969
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear PD,
Thank you for coming to stay with us for an evening recently. I am terribly sorry to hear that your experience was not up to the level expected and deserved. It is true that our bar does close at 9 pm in the Summertime. However I myself do not understand why were not able to at least sell you a bottle of wine to take to your room if there were still staff on duty. I have seen many occasions where they have gone above and beyond to assist guests, I am sorry to see that this was not the case here. Our gift shop is open till 10 pm every day, in the case our Agent must leave the desk we do close the shop while he/she is away. Again my apologies the gentleman you encountered was neither friendly nor helpful with assistance, we could have easily explained there may be a wait but we would have been glad to assist upon his return to the shop. We certainly dropped the ball in regards to service in this regard. In regards to the room we are very upfront regarding the Historic nature of the rooms and property. Having a noisy air conditioning unit however is not acceptable in any hotel, especially when we do bill ourselves as a place for quiet and relaxation. I have addressed your comment regarding no slippers in the room with our Manager, I know this is not standard in many hotels but something we can definately look into for added comfort in our rooms. I sincerely hope we can have another chance in the future to show the kind of service that was not indicative of your stay. I would also love you for you to try out our newer rooms in the deluxe category. Regards
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I've visited Hacienda del Sol on several occasions, each visit was better than the last. I never tire of the stunning views and meticulous grounds this outstanding enclave – nestled in the Catalina Foothills – provides. True to its name, you really feel like you're on a hacienda in the old country. The authentic rustic Spanish Colonial architecture takes you back to a time when our world enjoyed a slower pace. There's plenty of pampering, and with many events and attractions both at the ranch and surrounding area, there's lots to do. Or you may choose to do nothing at all other than relax and enjoy the pool or the balcony/patio off your room. The two restaurants are favourites among the locals, if you time your visit right, you might even be able to enjoy one the the Hacienda's wine tasting dinner parties. If you really want to get a flavour for the grounds, take a horseback ride into the foothills. If shopping and dining are high on your list, the La Encantada upscale open-air mall and numerous fine restaurants are close by. As well as golf – but Tucson is known for its many golf courses and you probably already knew that ;)

Room Tip: If it's within your budget I would definitely chose a Casita or Suite. You'll enjoy privacy...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Misiz,
Thank you for coming to stay and dine with us again, we appreciate your continued support of the Hacienda. We cant take credit for the views but one of our owners Jeff works tirelessly along with our Landscaping staff to keep the grounds meticulous and seasonal. As you mention we have a great position in the Foothills where in the immediate area there are tons of attractions, dining, shopping etc but our property still remains secluded for the relaxation and calm people want. In case you hadnt noticed we are having our Annual Argentina Heart and Soul Wine event on Oct. 20th, we would love to have you attend. Our own owners son is bringing his new creation straight from Argentina. Please contact me if I can assist setting up reservations when you come to see us again. Regards
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here 10 years ago, the room was spacious with two beds and all the amenities. We booked through an agent and they made special arrangements to organise this as they don't use this hotel. The room we were given this stay was on the courtyard and had only one double bed, we needed two due to my friends medical condition, I realise that the room allocation was not the hotels fault and they offered a couple of solutions but it is disappointing that in order to get 2 beds you needed to pay considerably more. Unfortunately even though I offered to pay the necessary up grade costs this was not possible.

The grounds are beautifully maintained and there is a pool but it wasn't terribly clean looking.

The room had a cold stone floor and to large closets but the bathroom was very small too small for our toiletries. We had often wanted o return to this hotel as we had so enjoyed it before but it was a little disappointing on this visit.

Room Tip: Pay for a larger room do not opt for the historic ones
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Caroline,
Thank you for returning to stay at the Hacienda after a 10 year hiatus. I am saddened to hear that this stay did not live up to the previous expectations. I am also sorry to hear that your travel agent failed to take your needs into consideration and booked a room which was not conducive to the 2 beds you required. Given the circumstances we will always try and would have loved to accommodate your request for 2 beds, unfortunately we did not have that room type available. I do feel we went above and beyond to try and help by offering a 2nd room complimentary on your first night and the option of moving to an upgraded room with 2 beds the next night at no additional cost. While it is true that our 2 bed rooms are more expensive, these rooms are also larger and upgraded from the Historic rooms. I completely understand the circumstances were never going to be what you had hoped for after 10 years of waiting, we sincerely tried to make the best for you of a bad situation.
There was no excuse however on our end for leaving the pool is less than stellar conditions and I have addressed this with our Staff.
I truly hope we can have another try at bringing back the great memories of your first stay with us, I am always happy to help in making sure you get the room you want and need. Safe travels back to the UK. Regards