“Enjoyable Stay”

Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We recently stayed three nights in a one bedroom suite and found the accommodation to be spacious and tastefully decorated with a great view. The only thing lacking was a safe for storing valuables.The look of this resort is quite pleasing esthetically and the grounds are very pretty with beautiful landscaping.
We went to the Grill for dinner all 3 nights. The quality was very good to excellent. Unfortunately we stayed during a change in seasonal pricing and a great 3 course prix fixe deal for the first two days was no longer available for the third evening when the a la carte prices
were excessively high , with most mains averaging $40 at least.
One disappointing note in our experience was the discovery that the so-called Bed and Breakfast
Package for which we paid a hefty premium, was limited to only one entree and either coffee or juice. This is not specified on their web site, nor was it mentioned to us by the reservations person
on the phone when I inquired about this package. Consequently we felt taken for a ride. For the very high price paid for the package, this restriction seemed unfair and petty.
One other negative experience was the arrival. The man at the reception desk did not greet or welcome us
at all when we checked in and was all business.He impatiently rattled off a standard monologue about facilities as if eager to be done with us .
The pool and hot tub were an oasis of tranquility and I enjoyed the beautiful scenery there.
Overall this is a quality hotel but needs attention to its dining room pricing structure and
front desk training.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GordonNepean
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Gordon,
Thank you for visiting us all the way from Canada. I also appreciate your comments both positive and your constructive criticisms as well.
I am thrilled to hear you found your room to be comfortable, spacious and well appointed. Also I am glad you enjoyed the scenery around the property, I never get tired of the beauty of the plants and flowers mixed with the desert landscapes of the cactus and wildlife.
I must apologize for the experience you had at check it. I personally handled your check in and I cannot explain why I was not up to the form and standards that I aim for every check in. There was no excuse that I did not hit or exceed the service you expected. I do appreciate this being pointed out sometimes outside eyes/ears are needed to help us grow.
Our restaurants do run seasonally with menus and pricing. The $ 29 special was for Summer which ends at the end of Sept. While I do understand your frustration having straddled the high and low pricing dates, we do feel that with the level of food, AAA 4 Diamond rating and many awards our pricing is in line with similar places.
I do hope the positive aspects of your stay will have you come stay with us in the future. I also hope I have the opportunity to show you what a true check in of mine looks like. Regards

There are newer reviews for Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Chef Bruce Yim has really made the dining room sing since coming to the resort. His menu and talent show a wide range of continental treats to enjoy. The dining room itself is a well designed and executed ranch style interiors. While although not inexpensive HDS possess one of the nicest wine lists in Tucson. Over the years I've had the pleasure of eating in the dining room on many occasions without disappointment. The Sunday brunch is wonderful as well. Do yourself a favor and try it. I'm certain you will enjoy it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Travellor,
Thank you for coming back to see and dine with us recently, we appreciate your repeat business over the years. Bruce and certainly been a welcome addition to our culinary team since starting. After getting his feet wet I can see a marked improvement in the creativity, variety and execution in the dishes. Having had the pleasure of doing a testing for the newest Grill menu I was blown away at some of the unique flavors and presentation of the offerings. I expect this evolution to continue over your many next visits, keeping things new and fresh helps keep our long time guests suprised and interested. I will share your fine words with Chef tomorrow and again thank you for coming back. Regards

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The negative reviews of Hacienda del Sol don't really do it justice.

I was at the Hacienda del Sol just this weekend. I had hesitated before booking because of a few negative reviews, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was quite nice.

My husband and I stayed in one of the historic rooms on the courtyard, which is landscaped with desert flora - lots of cacti, shrubs, flowers. The effect is a bit overdone, but it blocks any view of the rooms across the way and gives a sense of privacy.

The room was fairly spacious, very quiet, and nicely appointed. It was also very clean. Accommodations are depicted honestly on the hotel's website, although the rooms are a bit darker than in the photographs.

The HVAC units are attached to the walls, but that's to be expected in a property that's made of adobe and more than 80 years old. The a/c unit had a low hum but it was not bothersome.

The bathroom had a pedestal sink, a recessed wooden medicine cabinet, and a standard tub surrounded by floral blue-and-white tile. Storage space for toiletries is minimal compared to a a double sink, but we made do with the medicine cabinet and the 8-inch ledge of the bathroom window. Plenty of hot water, fluffy towels, and quick housekeeping service; the bed was very comfortable and was made by 12 noon every day.

Older reviews mention unclean rooms with pests. I did not see anything of the kind during my stay, and I am scrupulous about staying in spotless hotels.

The hotel is not cheap. The gov't rate is $90 a night during the week, but that's not always available. With a AAA discount, I paid maybe $50-60 more a night than one would at a nice Holiday Inn or Hampton. Still, it's a historic hotel in the desert, and worth the expense.

We didn't eat at the grill; it was out of our budget. $42 for monkfish? Yeah, right. I wish the prices had been more reasonable. Nevertheless, I was told the food was good by people who had eaten there.

The horseback riding (Spanish Trail Outfitters) was excellent. Solid, active horses, interesting terrain (lots of hills), and our guide, Nicki, was lovely and outgoing.

My only quibble is with the reservation process. There was some confusion on the hotel's part when it came to the type of room reserved and the length of my stay. If you have your hotel confirmation in hand, though, the front desk will not give you any problems. Also, when I reserved the room, I had asked for a standard discount (AAA, gov't, etc.) At the time, I was told that the rate wasn't available. But when I checked out, the clerk asked me why I had not gotten the discounted rate.

That being said, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank misskitka1
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Miss,
Thank you for coming to visit us from the Nations Capital. It is great to hear that you chose to come see us despite a few negative reviews recently. We feel the totality of reviews over the years represents more of who we are. We are always learning from our mistakes.
Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness and prompt service of your room. Our housekeepers work tirelessly to ensure a clean environment. We recently did some more detailed work in the rooms to address the occasional bug issue.
Truth in advertising is a must in this industry so I appreciate hearing that what we show online. reflects what guests stay in. We had our designer out this week to tackle some furnishing and the lighting issue you bring up. The courtyard bathrooms were made for girls of the 1940's. It is hard to expand these while keeping the charm and decor.
Thank you for using our Stables on property, I will share your review with their owner, they should hear the great positive feedback they are doing for our guests.
My apologies for the lack of clarity on your rate during the reservation process. We should always be super clear and confirm all the details with guests before finalizing the reservation. I spoke to the Agent who assisted you and we are working on the phone reservation process with him. I hope in the end we were able to make everything right with your rate and room type.
We would love to have you come stay again, please contact me if I can assist with future accurate reservations. Regards

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I meant to write this sooner, but even months later, I remember vividly how wonderful our stay was. The couples massage was great. They have a lovely courtyard. We stayed in one of the suites which had a fireplace and a nice patio with great views. Very nice indeed! We were disappointed that we couldn't have our anniversary dinner in the acclaimed Grill restaurant. When we went for dinner we learned that there was a private party that night. However, we did have a nice dinner on the Patio, and the Managing General Partner treated us to a fabulous champagne breakfast delivered to our suite the next morning. It made for an awesome anniversary stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Andrews,
Thank you for coming to stay with us back in January, we appreciate you taking time to write a review even now, its never to late to tell fellow travelers and us about your experiences. Great to hear you enjoyed the Spa services, I hope the Package you were on worked seem less and was a good value for you. Suite # 42 you stayed in does have some of the best views here because you get all of the mountains, city lights and even some desert landscapes.
My sincere apologies you were not able to dine in the Grill on your Anniversary, you certainly should have been notified of any restaurant changes ahead of your stay or bare minimum at check in so you could have made alternate plans if necessary. I am glad you enjoyed the Terraza causal dining that night. Kudos to Tom our Owner for going above and beyond in trying to make up for the previous nights disappointment on your special weekend.
Congratulations on your anniversary and we hope you'll come stay with us on one of your next ones. Regards

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Outstanding service - from housekeeping to management. Stunning views of Tucson and Catalina mountains. Felt like a good TCM movie with all the modern conveniences. Meals were very good - breakfast through dinner.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m m
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear MM,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip from the Buckeye State. It was our pleasure to extend the service that guests expect and deserve. We appreciate the mention of this level of service, it helps us know we are on the right track and makes us proud. Thank you for taking the time to also dine with us, I hope you enjoyed our new menus which were recently unveiled. Next time you are out West please stop and see us again. Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I attended a wedding held at this hotel and stayed for the weekend in one of the regular rooms.

Positives: 1.) very pretty courtyard; 2.) restaurants are good

Negatives: 1.) The rooms and especially the bathrooms look like they were last redone in the '70's. I saw one of the suites, which were similar in condition. My friend stayed at a casita, which was nicer, but definitely not worth the increased cost. 2.) Since all rooms are located around the courtyard, it is very very noisy. I felt really bad for the non-wedding guests who had to put up with all commotion. 3.) Staff are not super friendly or helpful. I dragged my suitcase up the long driveway and through the grounds, passing several hotel employees--none of whom offered to help or even said hello. I then waited for 15 minutes at the front desk for someone to show up to check me in (it was 3pm).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelbug199
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Travel,
Thank you for coming to stay with us over the special occasion weekend. I do hope in spite of the room and service challenges you were able to enjoy a fun filled weekend of wedding festivities. I appreciate your positive comments and would like to address the others, while negative these can help us identify areas to concentrate and improve on. Your room in the courtyard is identified as a Historic room. These rooms are in fact from the 1930's. While we have upgraded the beds, flat screen TV's and amenities we do try and keep them as original as possible. I do agree these rooms are not for every traveler, as a Historic Hotel of America we try and preserve the architecture and feeling from days gone by.
We do try and address the courtyard noise issue by requiring wedding/groups to book all of these rooms for events so that other guests are not put in the middle of the noise.
Your 3rd negative is where I do have the most concern and there is frankly no excuse for the lack of service given to you. Common greetings are not only hotel policy for everyone but just good manners and I do apologize even this basic tenet was not provided. I would expect all of our employees to offer assistance with luggage and again we failed you on this. Personally I have seen many employees in every department offer help, directions etc to guests and people just wandering the grounds. I do not understand why this did not occur in your situation. I will absolutely be reading this review in meetings to highlight your feelings and re-emphasize our commitment to providing the highest level of service to everyone. Regards

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night. Been out to dinner with friends and came back for a night cap before retiring however much to our discuss 9.45 pm the bar was closed. Yep closed. Advised to got to the gift shop in the lobby to buy some wine as we walked passed found a very uninterested man sitting at reception and the shop closed. No night cap for us . Mmm room sve I thought nope that finished at 9 pm. Shame your staff were disinterested. Your rooms are rather dated with noisy air conditioning units and you seem to be living off the dream of calling them authentic. The bathrooms are tiny, the closet is huge with an empty fridge tucked away inside it. Great idea to have wine glasses in the room ... Shame no wine available. Same with the dressing gowns .. No slippers.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Pd1969
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear PD,
Thank you for coming to stay with us for an evening recently. I am terribly sorry to hear that your experience was not up to the level expected and deserved. It is true that our bar does close at 9 pm in the Summertime. However I myself do not understand why were not able to at least sell you a bottle of wine to take to your room if there were still staff on duty. I have seen many occasions where they have gone above and beyond to assist guests, I am sorry to see that this was not the case here. Our gift shop is open till 10 pm every day, in the case our Agent must leave the desk we do close the shop while he/she is away. Again my apologies the gentleman you encountered was neither friendly nor helpful with assistance, we could have easily explained there may be a wait but we would have been glad to assist upon his return to the shop. We certainly dropped the ball in regards to service in this regard. In regards to the room we are very upfront regarding the Historic nature of the rooms and property. Having a noisy air conditioning unit however is not acceptable in any hotel, especially when we do bill ourselves as a place for quiet and relaxation. I have addressed your comment regarding no slippers in the room with our Manager, I know this is not standard in many hotels but something we can definately look into for added comfort in our rooms. I sincerely hope we can have another chance in the future to show the kind of service that was not indicative of your stay. I would also love you for you to try out our newer rooms in the deluxe category. Regards