“Well worth the charm, great bargin too”

Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Finally a hotel with character, good value, fine location. I'd send anybody here, it was just that good. Room 31, in the "old" section, was perfectly adequate. Bring your own hairdryer b/c the supplied one in the bathroom is frustratingly tiny. 1st-world problem, I know. Super friendly desk service, wonderful on-site restaurant, free parking, out of the city hub-bub, but excellent location for northerly tourist destinations. Check out the gardens in the back where they grow a number of foods served in the kitchen.

Room Tip: Weird that I read a lot about the "small" rooms in the "old" section. Room 31 wa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear John,
Thank you for coming to stay with us recently from the Evergreen State. Thank you also for taking the time to review your experiences with us. If we did TV advertising your first line would be perfect, cant get a much better title than Value, Location and Character. I enjoyed your room tip, the Historic rooms are our smallest but many travelers like yourselves find them to be spacious enough. Imagine these rooms half size back in the 30's when the girls at the school stayed in them. The kitchen does try and use all the seasonal products from our Andrew Weil Garden, we appreciate you taking a moment to enjoy the gardens. Please do tell eveyone you know to come down and see us and we hope you will make it back in the future as well. Regards

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Absolutely loved our stay here. The staff were lovely and the facilities, dining and activities were great. Sipping very nice margaritas near a tall saguaro cactus watching the sun set with humming birds zipping about. Fabulous memories I'll never forget! We will definitely stay again. Thankyou :)

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jessica,
Thank you for joining us all the way from the Land Down Under this past Spring. We appreciate your review sharing the experience you had with us. It is fantastic to see you enjoyed your stay so much that it resonated even 7 months after you left. These are the kind of memories everyone here aims to leave guests with. Your middle statement well sums up a lot of we are about, relaxation, nature, amazing sunsets and of course delicious cocktails. We look forward to your return visit in the near future. Regards

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I often travel to Tucson on business, taking oppurtunity to venture around. This time decided to Explore the north side ( previous trip stayed at Marriott Starr Pass). I booked with the Westin , after two nights they didn't have availability so some one there suggested I try the Hacienda , half a mile away. I was lucky that thy had the government rate, From the moment I arrived I fell in love the place. it has charm and character.The resort is small ( 40 rooms) with one section on main building with original rooms and a wing with newer rooms. This is romantic, adult type place. If your locking for big pool, water slides and large rooms with large bathrooms - Go to the Westin (or Starr Pass).
In addition to hotel there is always something going on at the hacienda: wedding, meeting etc, which makes the place lively.

Room Tip: I stayed in two rooms: 30 ( old building) and 35(new building). The old building room had more charm...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank galedd
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Mr. Galedd,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us after some time at other properties in town. I hope we were able to meet all your needs and we look forward to having you back in January. I am glad we were able to find availability for the 2nd night you requested after checking out.
You did come at a very lively time of year for us between weddings, events and our many travelers from the colder climates. This keeps us on our toes and makes the atmosphere here very fun without being overwhelming or guests not be able to still find relaxation.
The contrast between old and new is definately one of our unique selling points. As a repeat guest I am glad to see you were able to experience both types of rooms and found the type that will suite your taste best going forward.
Again we look forward to having you stay with us for years to come, please contact me if I can assist with special room requests or anything to make your stays with us better. Regards

Reviewed 4 November 2013

For several years I've wanted to stay here and we were not disappointed. It is not a mega resort, just a lovely, quiet, place to stay. Close enough to any business you may have to get to but far away enough not to be bothered by city noise. The staff seems genuinely happy and proud to work a such a nice place. For us it beats the big resorts, hands down.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Denise,
Thank you for staying with us recently from The Land of Enchantment and thank you for sharing your experiences in this forum. We are happy you made it out to see us after a few years of wishing to. Thank you also for taking the time to write a dining review on our Grill page.
As you mention we do have the best of both worlds in terms of location. Nestled in a very quiet upscale residential area affords the peace and quiet guests enjoy while still being able to venture out into the more urban areas within 5-10 min.
We are very happy and proud to be a part of the culture and team here at the Hacienda. Not being a big resort we have the luxury of being more personable and interacting with our guests throughout their stay.
I hope you can make it back to stay with us before another several years, safe travels back to our neighbor state. Regards

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Maybe you'll get lucky and stay in a suite once frequented by Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. The Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort is a Tucson icon with fabulous views of the Santa Catalina mountains. You won't have to leave the resort for meals - the restaurants both have excellent menus so you can enjoy the resort and forget about the rest of the world, but I would recommend getting out at least one day to visit the Desert Museum - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear RPainter,
Thank you for visiting us from the Beehive State. I appreciate taking the time to share thoughts on your time with us.
As you mention the legend has it that Katherine and Spencer spent some of their together time here. We believe the Grand Casita is where they stayed and it is now named the Spencer Tracy Casita in honor. For a piece of Hollywood history and to take a trip back in time this is a wonderful house to stay while here
Tucson is a wonderful city but we are certainly happy as you say if guests spend all their time with us and forget the world outside. I loved this comment in your review. The Desert Museum if you must leave is definately a wonderful attraction and makes for a great half day or so trip. Almost as great as the beautiful national parks you have up there in Utah.
Safe travels back home and hope to see you again when coming down South in the future. Regards

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I ended up at the Hacienda del Sol as a result of some flight miles we had to use up. Sort of a throw the dart at the map trip that landed us in Tuscon. I did select the Hacienda Del Sol due to the fabulous reviews, and it definitely lived up to those reviews. This is an amazing little resort right at the foothills of the Santa Catalina mountains - and what an UNBELIEVABLE view of the mountains you have!

Due to our overwhelming satisfaction with our stay, this review is lengthy. I will break it down by category, so you can skip to what most interests you.

ROOMS: We booked a suite with a patio (very reasonable price for the accommodations provided). The suites are a few steps away from the main building along a quaint pathway through their unbelievable cacti and dessert plants. We had a separate little building with one other suite attached to us. It was like having our own little place. The room had nice decor, a comfortable bed and was clean.

FOOD: The food here is excellent! They have 2 restaurants (The Grill and Terraza) that share 1 outside patio (which we used for every meal except breakfast, because it's too cold then). You can order off either menu. The Grill is more fine dining and the Terraza more casual. We ended up ordering off the Terraza menu for every meal, as the selections were so great. It was as if someone custom made a menu just for us. Every single thing we ate was excellent and of high quality. "Casual" food was elevated to another level. They also have a great cocktail menu. The restaurants seemed to be popular locally as well, as we observed many locals coming for lunch and dinner - although we never had a problem getting a table (reservations recommended for dinner).

POOL: The pool was perfect. It is heated, so it's always a perfect temperature. You have a nice view of the mountains from the pool as well. There is also a hot tub just down a stairwell from the pool that we enjoyed as well.

SERVICE/STAFF: Excellent, excellent, excellent! Everyone we encountered was pleasant, courteous and accommodating. Front desk staff, housekeeping, restaurant staff were all exceptional. The perfect mix of friendliness with professionalism.

ACTIVITIES: There is horseback riding available on site. We took a 1 1/2 hour ride and were very happy with it. We also went to Sabino Canyon (15 minute drive away) and took the 45 minute tram ride into the canyon. I highly recommend this. Absolutely stunning scenery! You can also hike in the canyon. There are other things to do in the area, but we mostly wanted a low key relaxing vacation.

All of the above combined with the fact that we seemed to hit the resort at an unusually slow time (as we felt like we had the place to ourselves at times) made for a fantastic stay. We travel a couple of times a year and this is, by far, one of the best places we have stayed at. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Spring for the suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra R

Dear Sandra,
Thank you and your dart for choosing to come to Tucson and stay with us recently. I like your category breakdown, helps make my replying easier and simple for fellow travelers navigate all your points.
Starting bottom to top we appreciate you taking a ride at our on-site Stables, the weather during the day has become perfect for a jaunt through the arroyo and canyon. Sabino Canyon is one of the best and most visited places in Tucson. Its great that you can enjoy the atmosphere either hiking or riding the tram especially on those scorching afternoons.
I want to thank you for acknowledging and our Staff for providing triple excellent service while here. We can have all the great facilities, landscapes and food but without our dedicated staff the experience would only be half fulfilling in my opinion.
We appreciate you joining us in both dining rooms many times during your stay. Both kitchens have recently came out with new menus. The chefs will love to hear that both have been well received especially the elevation of the casual menu which they have added a few "higher" end items for a good balance.
Value is important these days and I am happy to see the Suite was clean and comfortable for you at a reasonable price for such. Sounds like you had the Suite on our west side, those are great for some seclusion and great desert landscapes right outside and on the way to our main areas.
Thank you for the beautiful pictures posted, I love the one at the pool during sunset. We look forward to you coming back to see us in the future and safe continued travels. Regards

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I have stayed at many resorts and similar places throughout the world, but Hacienda del Sol is up there with the best. We stayed 4 nights in October and wished we had booked for a longer time. The grounds are very picturesque and the buildings most attractive. Our one bedroom suite (Number4) permitted wonderful views and was tastefully decorated. The food at this resort more than met our expectations, both in the outdoors patio area and in the more up market grille. We were fortunate that there was a wine tasting being held during our stay and while the Argentinian wines were good the associated food was a highlight. Comment also needs to be made regarding the high quality and friendly staff at the resort. John, the Guest Services Manager, and Pifer in the restaurant, warrant special mention, since it is their leadership which is reflected in the attitude and performance of their staff. We can recommend this resort to travelers who want quality accommodation and service. We would stay again without any question. Well done Hacienda Del Sol!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite, which had a very large bedroom and a smaller separate lounge area. These suite...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Murray,
Thank you for coming to stay with us during your baseball tournament recently. I did not get the chance to meet you but I hope your team did well. We appreciate you recommending us to your fellow Australian travelers and the praise of being up there with the best hotels you have stayed at around the world.
Thank you for attending the Argentina Heart and Soul Wine event, we do 3-4 of these every year with different wine themes and corresponding food.
You stayed in what many of us call the "sunset" suite. The many windows especially in the bedroom allow for the fantastic views especially of sunsets. I am also glad you enjoyed the Southwest decor of the suite.
I shared your kind words with both Pifer and John this morning. They sincerely appreciate your mention and acknowledgement of their service. We can all take cues from these guys on customer service and I myself learn new tricks by observing them in action.
Continued success with your baseball team and everyone hopes to see you again if your in this part of the world. Cheers