“Sunday Brunch....Spectacular..WOW☆☆♡♡” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Arizona
“Sunday Brunch....Spectacular..WOW☆☆♡♡”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Everything was PERFECTION: Beautiful setting, amazing views, historical southwest hacienda, grounds are Pretty Pretty, service is beyond Top Notch, & Elegance+++! OH & the food.....something for everyone....pure yum☆♡

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank upupandaway3
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Up,
Thank you for coming down and taking advantage of our award winning Sunday Brunch. We appreciate your business and the very Spectacular review. I also hope you can come stay with us on the hotel side sometime.
I love all the funky characters and symbols in the review, they add some pizzaz.
Please call me if I can assist setting up future reservations for you. Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We spent five nights at Hacienda del Sol in mid-April over Easter weekend. This is a very upscale boutique inn with only 30 rooms. It was formerly a "finishing school" for wealthy girls from elite families in the 30'sand 40's. It now has been transformed into a very classy facility with a first rate restaurant that is well know in the Tucson area. The restaurant is called the Grille and seems to be the "go to" place for special occasions in the Tucson area.

From our first dealings with HDS until our departure our treatment was exceptional. Carla and Simon who run the front office could not have been more helpful in recommending restaurants and suggesting places to see in the general area. They are in a class by themselves above and beyond the rather excellent facility.

We were schedules to visit HDS in February, but had to cancel at the very last minute because of illness. HDS gave us no problem in canceling our reservations even though we were within the period where we were subject. to cancellation penalties.

When we put the trip back in place, they honored their "one night free" offer if you stay five nights even though it was not technically offered at that time. Also on arrival they upgraded our accommodations without our asking. Part of the time we stayed in unit 3 which is a comfortable large room with a private terrace. For the last two nights they further upgraded us to a "casita" which is a small cottage. In neither case did we ask for these upgrades, This is just an indication of the type of service one receives here.

The facility is located in the "foothills" area of Tucson, but not a far drive from central city or most attractions. It is set among very extensive and well maintained grounds. About 1/2 of the accommodations are around a court yard. While we did not see these rooms, I was led to believe that the two rooms we did occupy were much nicer than the courtyard rooms.

Also, they tend to do events around the courtyard and this area could be noisy. When we were there, there was a rehearsal dinner on Friday night, a wedding on Saturday night---both events had about 100 guests. On Easter Sunday, the restaurant had a very elaborate brunch which attracted over 700 people to their Grille Restaurant---a very nice dining option if a bit on the pricey side. While these events did not interfere with our stay, I can see where they might have. I also am told, in season, they have a wedding just about every weekend.

The exercise room also is very basic with only a few machines. However, they do offer a complementary pass to a nearby athletic facility.

In spite of these rather minor inconveniences, I would go bad the HDS in a heart beat if I were
in the area. It is a very well run relaxing facility with people who know how to make you feel comfortable and appreciate your business.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a room away from the courtyard.
1 Thank m1128jm17
Dear M,
I hope all is well with your recent illness. Thank you for deciding to come back and stay at a later date. From your review it sounds like the wait was worth it. I am also happy we could be accommodating regarding your rate due to the extenuating circumstances.
I appreciate your kind mention of our two associates. They enjoy seeing their hard work and commitment to service payoff when mentioned by name. As a small hotel we also handle the concierge duties and they are very good at recommendations, mapping and Tucson inside information.
As mentioned you did visit on a particularly busy stretch for us this season. We try as best we can to limit the congestion, noise and general chaos to a minimum. Sometimes we do run into noise issues and work hard to move guests to quieter rooms and any appropriate mitigation.
Knowing our Exercise room isnt on the level of a gym or health club we have tried to be proactive and through a great partnership the local Jewish Center will allow our guests to use all of their facilities and classes.
I hope you can make it our to stay with us again. Please contact me if I can help with planning a quiet time here and picking out a great { non courtyard } room for you. Regards
Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently stayed one night at the Hacienda Del Sol on our way back home from other areas in Arizona. We stayed in room 40 which was very large. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was a bit dated and quirky. We had a mini-fridge but it was only stocked with two sad little bottles of water. The best part of the room was the outdoor patio. After we managed to get the sliding door open (it was a bit quirky too) we spent a lot of time out there listening to the Sunday night music from the restaurant and watching the wildlife (e.g., rabbit, lizards, birds). This was definitely the best part of the room. Staff were friendly at check-in, but they forgot to give us our breakfast card which caused us about a 20 minute delay the next morning at breakfast - but that may have been due in part to our server forgetting to inform us that everything had been confirmed with the front desk. We ordered room service for our evening meal and ate in the restaurant for breakfast. The food was very good. The grounds for the Hacienda Del Sol are historic and pretty. Lots of gardens, nooks and crannies, and overlooking the Catalina Mountains. However, for the price, I will likely choose to stay at one of the newer resorts closer to the mountains with more updated facilities and more amenities.

Room Tip: Maybe #40 was an older room? Maybe there are some that are more updated? However, the patio in thi...
1 Thank angusmurphy
Dear Angus,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your Arizona adventure. We also appreciate sharing this review, letting us know some of the good and unfortunately not so aspects of your time here. I am saddened to hear that the stay did not meet expectations.
Id like to address some of the constructive complaints first. Yes our fridges only have two bottles of water. Based on guest feedback we removed the minibars a few years back as added storage space was preferred and the minibar concept just was more hassle then convenience.
There is zero reason why we did not provide your breakfast vouchers at check in. I apologize for wasting 20 min of your time in having to rectify the situation. This is an easy thing that we failed and ended up inconveniencing you.
We do have 3 distinct types of rooms here. Suite 40 falls into the middle, not the original rooms and not the newest most modern. As you mention the patio and views in that Suite are amazing. I will certainly need to get with Maintenance to address the sliding door issue, it shouldnt be difficult to get to the patio and enjoy the sights.
We do have a newer section on the west side of the property and I would love to have you try one of those instead of going somewhere else in town. Also we are heading into building 30 new rooms which should provide the modern comforts and ambiance you are seeking.
Safe travels back to Kentucky, cant wait for the Derby Saturday. Regards
Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hacienda Del Sol would have received an excellent rating had our room been ready upon arrival which was later than the 3:00 stated arrival. It took 2 additional hours to get into our room. We were given a $50 credit which we deducted from one of our dinners, but a Guest Ranch at these prices should not have had this happen (even if a wedding had taken place the day before). The primo dining experience is fabulous. Every seat in the grill offers you a spectacular view. The dinners prepared here are top quality; the wines a little pricey but that's the way it goes at a restaurant at this level. The pool is clearly refreshing on a warm and sunny afternoon. The grounds are just lovely.

Room Tip: we enjoyed one of the suites (but not the casita)
1 Thank dok958
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear DOK,
Thank you for traveling from New Jersey to come and stay with us. I also appreciate the time taken to share your experience in this forum.
My apologies that your stay did not get off to a great start with the delay in having your room ready by our 3 pm check in time. Whether a Motel 6 or high end hotel advertised check in times should be honored. Our guest have the expectation to be able to start relaxing and enjoying the property at 3 pm. We do our very best daily to make sure this happens for everyone, sometimes unfortunately we are delayed. This of course is not your fault and again we are sorry for the inconvenience you started your stay with.
Thank you for choosing to dine with us here on property also. Great to hear everything on their side went fabulous. The views of the Catalina Mountains, the green of the golf course and the Sunsets are fantastic to enjoy while having a great meal.
I hope in the future we have an opportunity to make up the lacking arrival in the hotel to combine a great hotel and restaurant experience. Regards
Burnsville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Hacienda Del Sol is a beautiful place, overall. The food is excellent and our room was exceptional, including an adobe fireplace on our private patio. Unfortunately, a very rude young man employed there treated me like a second class citizen shortly after our arrival. After driving for hours, I wanted to unpack and unwind in my room. I asked if he could point me towards the bar so that I might get a lime to take back to my room. He said "Well, there is currently a lime shortage, so I'll see what I can do. We are trying to save them for Bloody Marys and such". This would not normally be so bad, but it was the condescending way in which he responded that was so offensive. He also followed me around and stood there making sure the bartender gave me only one lime. This is after dropping $250.00 a night. I read in USA today, that limes, had In fact, been hard to come by, so the prices had increased, so some airlines were opting to use lemons instead of limes. I travelled for 16 days on this trip and stayed somewhere different almost every night. Amazingly, no other places seemed to have a lime shortage and were eager to please us as guests. I have to say, that because of this one rude employee, Hacienda was our least favorite.

Room Tip: Get a corner room with private patio and outdoor fireplace.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jeffngreer
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Jeffn,
Thank you for coming to stay with us recently. Thank you also for reaching out to us with both the positives and the unfortunate incident you encountered. I cannot express how upset I am to hear such a wonderful vacation was marred by your experience here
Obviously I am happy to hear that the accomodations and dining experience went very well. Equally so I am unhappy to hear of your interaction with our staff member. Yes we run out of things and sometimes we cannot accomodate a request however there is no excuse for the way this was handled on our end. We are happy to give guests 10 limes if that will help make their stay better. There was certainly a more polite, respectful way the situation could have been presented. I have spoken to the agent in question and we both have determined a better way this could have been dealt with and he has expressed his concern and apologies for what occurred. He has a good track record with guests/service and I sincerely hope this was a one time departure from normal decorum.
I appreciate you making us a part of your long vacation, I really hope in the future we can have an opportunity to turn us from the least favorite to the top of the list. I do hope the rest of your journey was wonderful. Regards
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at Hacienda Del Sol in February. We left a snow storm and arrived in Tucson with 70 degree days. The resort has a variety of rooms. We made our reservations quite late and got a "historic" room. Yes it was a bit rustic, but so charming. Our room was in the original building which was a school for girls in the 1930's. There is so much history to this place and they have posted historic photos all around the buildings. There was a lovely courtyard just our side our room. The room was basic...not even a rug on the floor. But it was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant is quite expensive so we decided to have dinner in the bar. It was very busy, full of people and a live band played outside in a separate patio area. The food was excellent. The staff at Hacienda Del Sol is very friendly and helpful. The resort is near the mountains away from the city. At night the stars were amazing and it was so quiet too. I loved the atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KUA557
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear KUA,
We loved having you come stay at the Hacienda as well. Your headline is our goal for all guest to leave with such a feeling. I cant take credit but we enjoy seeing our cold weather guests throw on the shorts and sandals during "winter" here.
Thank you for dining with us at our casual Terraza, not everyone wants to do the fine dining and pricier options and this makes a great alternative. Sitting outdoors in February makes it even better.
As mentioned are Historic rooms have maintained the rustic feeling of years back however no matter the size, age etc clean and comfortable is always a goal of ours. We do have 4 other more modern and larger room types to suit any price range and needs.
Anytime you need a respite from the snow and cold please come down and see us again. Regards
Poulsbo, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We had reservations for 11:30-very beautiful location which was once used as an all girls school. The grounds are gorgeous and worth a stroll around them either before or after their Sunday brunch. The brunch had a wonderful array off many different foods-omelette bar, waffle bar, carved roast beef, and then a great variety of breakfast items:sausage, bacon, eggs Benedict and some interesting local tamales and shredded, well season pork. Sushi, fresh prawns, cheese platters and lots of fresh fruit too. The mimosas were served with blood red oranges picked on the property. The only downside that our party of 7 agreed on was the lack of fabulous desserts-they were very marginal and I think it would be the only area that they could improve upon. The coffee is served with a great array of accoutrements-brown sugar cubes, cinnamon sticks and shredded chocolate. One of our favorite places for Sunday brunch while vacationing in Tucson.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Novaart
Dear Novvart
Thank you for coming back to Tucson and for joining us at our Sunday brunch recently. Consistently being named best brunch in town keeps us on our toes to make sure all the offerings and service are of high quality. I think you nailed it that with Brunch variety is a big key so that everyone can find something they enjoy. I will mention your comments regarding the dessert offerings to our pastry chef. We recently hired a new pastry chef and he is making his best efforts to learn what works and what does'nt as well as trying some new things. I hope your next visit will truly show his skills in this area. We look forward to you coming back and I am always happy to help make those reservations for you. Regards