“Lovely Historic Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Amherst, New Hampshire
“Lovely Historic Hotel”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I did not realize this was a historic hotel, and that part of the stay was very interesting. Loved the library off the lobby which was filled with interesting reading about the school that the hotel used to be. Word of caution would be to check whether there are any events scheduled for the time of your stay. There was a wedding going on which made it difficult to access the pool area (we did not want to walk through the cocktail hour in our bathrobes). Also there was a fair bit of noise late into the night with partygoers leaving the parking lot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear LG,
Thank you for coming to stay all the way from the Granite State, I hope you enjoyed the sunshine on this coast. We appreciate taking the time to write a review sharing your experience.
My apologies on the inconvenience you had getting to and from the pool. While we do have spacial limitations and many events our guests shouldnt feel awkward trying to maneuver around property. We try to delicately balance everyones needs and can always learn better ways to achieve this.
I do hope the interesting history and historical atmosphere was a draw to come back and see us in the future. I am happy to assist with picking out quieter times to maximize your relaxation and experience. Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife Stephanie and I spent our fifth Anniversary at Hacienda Del Sol. We left our three children with trusted friends and had a night to ourselves. I wish we had a week to spend here! The entire stay was delightful. The staff was incredibly friendly, supportive and accessible. The food at the Terraza was amazing! Try the Chicken Pecata... it was the best chicken dish I've ever tried. Our waitress surprised us with a dessert plate decorated with the words "Happy Fifth Anniversary!" The live band was awesome and the atmosphere was great. The next morning, we had the brunch... words cannot describe. My wife and I were absolutely blown away by the spread. There was an omelet chef, who made the most amazing omelets, shrimp, sushi, the most amazing selection of meats and cheeses and desserts... wonderful, delightful desserts! And of course, the free unlimited supply of mimosas didn't hurt. They even made a special watermelon mimosa for my wife. At the end, the staff again brought us a special dessert, celebrating our anniversary and the bartender made my wife a complementary celebratory shot which she absolutely loved. Two days, one night and one amazing memory! The pool is ten feet deep, which is great. There is a hot hot hot tub, an amazing view of the mountains and just so much to enjoy! This place is definitely a celebration of the Tucson of old and I cannot wait to go back! My thanks to all of the staff at Hacienda Del Sol!

Room Tip: The infrastructure is a historical throwback, so the A/C is loud. There was no central air, at leas...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nathan R
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is becoming an annual tradition with us but once again, the peace, seclusion, amenities and staff just keep us coming back.

This time, what struck us the most was the quality and dedication of the staff. The fabulous chocolate cookies on our pillow on Night One - we asked and on Night Two, there were a dozen so we could have some to take home. Done with only one inquiry. Done as a gift.

And that was only one of our wonderful experiences!

Can't say enough good things about this property and it's sense of customer service!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlbqBarb
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Miss Madaras,
Thank you for choosing to come back to us for a 3rd year in a row, I hope all out staff is starting to recognize you as a regular here at Hacienda. I am glad you enjoyed our cookies, these are for our repeat guests to show a small token of appreciation for those who see us regularly. If on your next stay I can do something different, like a new flavor or perhaps the chocolate truffles please contact me anytime. I hope you enjoyed the ones taken home, kudos for the quick response on getting those to you before check out from our staff.
Looking forward to seeing you next year, dont hesitate to contact me for reservations and anything to make next year even better.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Pretty perfect setting. We spent three nights there and I can't wait to go back. I live in Tucson, but wanted my mother to be extra comfortable while she visited for my graduation and this place was so fabulous, I ended up staying with her. PERFECT for couples and also perfect for a mother/daughter getaway. Thank you, Hacienda Del Sol!
On our final morning, my mother got a massage and I got an algae mud wrap--I hadn't seen her look so happy ALL WEEK until after that massage. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended. I've been to other spas and these people were the real deal. Highly trained and skilled at their healing and relaxation techniques! Will definitely go back to the spa soon. My mother claimed this was the "best breakfast" she had "ever" had in her life. My mother in her 60s and has had A LOT of breakfasts. :) It's true, everything was QUITE yummy. Omelets to die for.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 39 and it had a private patio in the back we enjoyed. Felt very secluded in the be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathy d
Dear Cathy,
Congratulations on your recent graduation and thank you for choosing us to host your special occasion/staycation. We all remember your Mom's expressions after the Spa treatment and I wish we could use that in promotional materials it was so wonderful to see. Please do contact me if you ever want to come relax for an hour or day, id love to help with any arrangements. Thank you both for dining with us on property. Best ever after a lifetime of making and eating them certainly is high praise and I wish I could air mail her some of those omletts to enjoy again.
Good luck with future endeavors with your new degree and we hope to entertain and host mother daughter time again in the future. Regards
Arizona
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Everything was PERFECTION: Beautiful setting, amazing views, historical southwest hacienda, grounds are Pretty Pretty, service is beyond Top Notch, & Elegance+++! OH & the food.....something for everyone....pure yum☆♡

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank upupandaway3
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Up,
Thank you for coming down and taking advantage of our award winning Sunday Brunch. We appreciate your business and the very Spectacular review. I also hope you can come stay with us on the hotel side sometime.
I love all the funky characters and symbols in the review, they add some pizzaz.
Please call me if I can assist setting up future reservations for you. Regards
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We spent five nights at Hacienda del Sol in mid-April over Easter weekend. This is a very upscale boutique inn with only 30 rooms. It was formerly a "finishing school" for wealthy girls from elite families in the 30'sand 40's. It now has been transformed into a very classy facility with a first rate restaurant that is well know in the Tucson area. The restaurant is called the Grille and seems to be the "go to" place for special occasions in the Tucson area.

From our first dealings with HDS until our departure our treatment was exceptional. Carla and Simon who run the front office could not have been more helpful in recommending restaurants and suggesting places to see in the general area. They are in a class by themselves above and beyond the rather excellent facility.

We were schedules to visit HDS in February, but had to cancel at the very last minute because of illness. HDS gave us no problem in canceling our reservations even though we were within the period where we were subject. to cancellation penalties.

When we put the trip back in place, they honored their "one night free" offer if you stay five nights even though it was not technically offered at that time. Also on arrival they upgraded our accommodations without our asking. Part of the time we stayed in unit 3 which is a comfortable large room with a private terrace. For the last two nights they further upgraded us to a "casita" which is a small cottage. In neither case did we ask for these upgrades, This is just an indication of the type of service one receives here.

The facility is located in the "foothills" area of Tucson, but not a far drive from central city or most attractions. It is set among very extensive and well maintained grounds. About 1/2 of the accommodations are around a court yard. While we did not see these rooms, I was led to believe that the two rooms we did occupy were much nicer than the courtyard rooms.

Also, they tend to do events around the courtyard and this area could be noisy. When we were there, there was a rehearsal dinner on Friday night, a wedding on Saturday night---both events had about 100 guests. On Easter Sunday, the restaurant had a very elaborate brunch which attracted over 700 people to their Grille Restaurant---a very nice dining option if a bit on the pricey side. While these events did not interfere with our stay, I can see where they might have. I also am told, in season, they have a wedding just about every weekend.

The exercise room also is very basic with only a few machines. However, they do offer a complementary pass to a nearby athletic facility.

In spite of these rather minor inconveniences, I would go bad the HDS in a heart beat if I were
in the area. It is a very well run relaxing facility with people who know how to make you feel comfortable and appreciate your business.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a room away from the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m1128jm17
Dear M,
I hope all is well with your recent illness. Thank you for deciding to come back and stay at a later date. From your review it sounds like the wait was worth it. I am also happy we could be accommodating regarding your rate due to the extenuating circumstances.
I appreciate your kind mention of our two associates. They enjoy seeing their hard work and commitment to service payoff when mentioned by name. As a small hotel we also handle the concierge duties and they are very good at recommendations, mapping and Tucson inside information.
As mentioned you did visit on a particularly busy stretch for us this season. We try as best we can to limit the congestion, noise and general chaos to a minimum. Sometimes we do run into noise issues and work hard to move guests to quieter rooms and any appropriate mitigation.
Knowing our Exercise room isnt on the level of a gym or health club we have tried to be proactive and through a great partnership the local Jewish Center will allow our guests to use all of their facilities and classes.
I hope you can make it our to stay with us again. Please contact me if I can help with planning a quiet time here and picking out a great { non courtyard } room for you. Regards
Illinois
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently stayed one night at the Hacienda Del Sol on our way back home from other areas in Arizona. We stayed in room 40 which was very large. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was a bit dated and quirky. We had a mini-fridge but it was only stocked with two sad little bottles of water. The best part of the room was the outdoor patio. After we managed to get the sliding door open (it was a bit quirky too) we spent a lot of time out there listening to the Sunday night music from the restaurant and watching the wildlife (e.g., rabbit, lizards, birds). This was definitely the best part of the room. Staff were friendly at check-in, but they forgot to give us our breakfast card which caused us about a 20 minute delay the next morning at breakfast - but that may have been due in part to our server forgetting to inform us that everything had been confirmed with the front desk. We ordered room service for our evening meal and ate in the restaurant for breakfast. The food was very good. The grounds for the Hacienda Del Sol are historic and pretty. Lots of gardens, nooks and crannies, and overlooking the Catalina Mountains. However, for the price, I will likely choose to stay at one of the newer resorts closer to the mountains with more updated facilities and more amenities.

Room Tip: Maybe #40 was an older room? Maybe there are some that are more updated? However, the patio in thi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angusmurphy
Dear Angus,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your Arizona adventure. We also appreciate sharing this review, letting us know some of the good and unfortunately not so aspects of your time here. I am saddened to hear that the stay did not meet expectations.
Id like to address some of the constructive complaints first. Yes our fridges only have two bottles of water. Based on guest feedback we removed the minibars a few years back as added storage space was preferred and the minibar concept just was more hassle then convenience.
There is zero reason why we did not provide your breakfast vouchers at check in. I apologize for wasting 20 min of your time in having to rectify the situation. This is an easy thing that we failed and ended up inconveniencing you.
We do have 3 distinct types of rooms here. Suite 40 falls into the middle, not the original rooms and not the newest most modern. As you mention the patio and views in that Suite are amazing. I will certainly need to get with Maintenance to address the sliding door issue, it shouldnt be difficult to get to the patio and enjoy the sights.
We do have a newer section on the west side of the property and I would love to have you try one of those instead of going somewhere else in town. Also we are heading into building 30 new rooms which should provide the modern comforts and ambiance you are seeking.
Safe travels back to Kentucky, cant wait for the Derby Saturday. Regards