“Sonoran Desert Charming”

Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, Arizona
“Sonoran Desert Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a charming, quiet, relaxing refuge this is the place. I would define this place as a retreat rather than a resort that was originally a girls boarding school in the 1930s. The rooms are a bit funky but cozy and comfortable. The restaurant/grill is a bit pricey but delicious. The setting is spectacular in the Sonoran desert. The staff are attentive and polite. Nothing is pretentious or snobby about this habitat. I highly recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Teg,
Thank you for taking a staycation at our property recently, always nice to unwind without all the trappings of traveling to a destination. We also appreciate your providing some thoughts on how your stay went with fellow travelers. We do have a more causal, cost conscious dining option called the Terraza, I do hope at check in this was mentioned to give everyone options and not feel boxed into the Grill. There is definately no need to be pretentious or snobby, we like to keep things more casual while providing top level service and amenities. Anytime your looking for a local respite getaway please do come see us again. Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 3 relaxing days at the Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort. This is a quaint hotel with hot tub, swimming pool, massages, and the most beautiful night skies we have seen in a long time. We sat at the pool and pointed out constellations to each other. The rooms are wonderful. But, by far, the best thing about this hotel is the staff who went out of there way everyday to see that we were happy. Carla (at the front desk) was helpful about arranging our massages. Massages were great. It's a wonderful place to de-stress whether it's for a day or a week. Two thumbs up . . . way up!

Room Tip: Room #19 was great (with a patio out back where we could watch lizards and dove playing in the cactu...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 1995,
Thank you and your boyfriend for coming to Tuscon and staying with us at the Hacienda. Simon sends his regards and the whole staff enjoyed your company throughout. I cant take credit but we are certainly lucky with the incredible multicolored sunsets across the valley.
We appreciate you taking the time to relax with our Spa services. Our therapists really make the extra effort to ensure your not only relaxed but educated in personal wellness.
We also appreciate the mention of Carla's service, we make it a mission to make sure employees are recognized when guests recognize them in these reviews. She sends her gratitude as well.
I hope to make it to Austin sooner then later and we hope you can make it back out to see us in the future. Regards
Central Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just back from 4 nights in Tucson, and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice of hotel. TripAdvisor gave me several resorts to choose from, but when I found the Spencer Tracey-Katherine Hepburn suite at Hacienda del Sol, I just knew it would be perfect for my brother and me and our wives! And was I ever right!
Two luxurious bedrooms lovingly decorated with Spanish Mission furniture, each with it's own Mexican-tiled bathroom; a fully equipped kitchen, dining room and comfortable living room made for a perfect long weekend for the 4 of us as we nostalgically revisited our parents' hometown. The resort is perfectly located in the Catalina foothills, close to all the upscale amenities you could require (see reviews on Plaza liquors, The Grill restaurant). The grounds are pure Sonoran desert and part of the joy of staying there is watching the interplay of the light, the native birds, plants and animals from either of the two patios, one with a view of the Catalinas, the other overlooking the spread of Tucson itself.
Casita #38 is off by itself at the eastern edge of the resort, so we didn't hear (and rarely saw) any of the other guests. Sitting on either patio we sometimes heard traffic on the service road for delivery vehicles, but none of the noise from city streets reached us. If "isolated" is your goal, you can't do better!
In all, the Hacienda del Sol was perfect for the 4 of us. I heartily recommend it to anyone seeking peace, quiet, comfort and luxury in the desert

Room Tip: Casita #38, Tracey-Hepburn suite: two bedroom home-away-from-home and still less than the cost of tw...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear TOB,
Thank you for bringing your family gathering to the Hacienda. Thank you also for sharing everyone's thoughts on their stay. Even better than the history of the unit the Grand Casita certainly makes for great space for 2 couples to be able to gather while still having the privacy for each to have quality time together. As you mention in your room tip the unit can definately be a cost saver compared to getting 2 seperate rooms for each couple. We just yesterday helped a large family from Hawaii save some money by suggesting they combine into there.
I see you also found my favorite local store at Plaza, they are super friendly and have a fantastic selection of all spirits.
Even being from Arizona yourselves, it can be quite a dramatic variation in wildlife, flora/fauna and landscapes down here in Tucson. Nothing more relaxing than a great view and nature right off the steps of your patio with the seclusion nyou mention the unit has.
We hope you can make a habit of the couples stay with us and please contact me if I can assist as the Grand Casita cant be booked online yet, hopefully soon. Regards
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I can't begin to describe the beauty and peace that abounds at Hacienda Del Sol. The gardens have been obviously planned and cared for, for at least half a century. The rooms are unique and decorated with authentic looking Spanish tiles in the bathroom.

We enjoyed a King Deluxe room, horseback riding at the stables, breakfast at the Grill restaurant on site, and a couples signature massage.

The room: A+ The only negative thing we can possibly say about the entire room is the toilet paper is low quality 1-ply. It sticks out that much more since everything else is high quality. We even had our own private patio

The horseback riding: C. We scheduled a "sunset tour" that finished well before the sunset. It was an hour and a half long where it seemed like we just wandered back and forth through cacti and shrub grasses until the final climb up to "sunset hill". The tour guide did his best to entertain us. It was just too long, too hot, and we ended us missing the sunset because it actually happened about the time we got back to the room. It wasn't his fault, just bad timing on whoever scheduled it.

Breakfast at the Grill: A+. Absolutely amazing. We got breakfast vouchers for both days and they were completely worth it. Everything we tried was so fresh and delicious from the huevos rancheros to the Belgian waffle with berries. I can't compliment the breakfast enough.

Signature Massages: A+. They have great spa rooms and fantastic massage therapists. No complaints whatsoever.

Recommendations: The breakfast vouchers are a fantastic value and they can add them to any room reservation for about the standard price of one person's breakfast at the Grill. Highly Recommended. However, as other's have said, you may need to remind them at check-in that you requested breakfast vouchers or they may forget. Also, if you get a spa package, pay extra attention to your bill at check out. They charged us for the massages in addition to the room package with the massages included. As soon as I pointed this out they corrected the bill with no hassle though.

Room Tip: The historic rooms are located directly on the perimeter of the courtyard. If there's no events...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Quick,
Thank you for staying with us recently. Also thank you for using all of our outlets and activities while here, I appreciate the detailed review of your experiences of each aspect/activity that you did on property.
Id like to touch on the few non A ratings within your review. I had not heard any complaints regarding our toilet paper prior to this but I will certainly speak with our Housekeeping manager to review what we are buying to make sure the quality hasnt changed lately. The little things we may never think about can be the biggest issues for guests and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
My apologies that your horseback ride had timing issues which prevented from fully experiencing the Tucson sunset. Sunset rides should have every expectation of being done at the best time to actually see the sunset. We recently had a new Stable Operator come in and I will use your review to see how things are done and ways to improve them.
I understand billing issues happen and can be frustrating for guests to get corrected at check out, I am glad to see we were able to fix in a timely manner for you. The breakfast voucher issue is seperate and quite frankly inexcusable, a failure on our part to do a complete check in. I hope you did not have any issues when having breakfast.
All in all I am very happy to hear from you that the total stay was not too affected by the hiccups encountered and again thank you for a helpful review we will take to heart. Regards
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I just stayed in Hacienda Del Sol with two friends for one night and really enjoyed it. Rooms are large and well furnished. Location is great and provides with a nice view on the rest of the city. Our breakfast was amazing as well.. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to enjoy the rest of the hotel facilities.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Esox,
Thank you for coming all the way from Switzerland to stay at the Hacienda. Next time we would love some of your countries wonderful chocolates. I am grateful to hear you and your friends found our location, accommodations and dining experiences all to everyone's liking. If your in Tucson again I would love for you to get more time and take advantage of everything the hotel and city has to offer that you didnt get this trip. Regards
Ellettsville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed for four nights and enjoyed our choice of Hacienda Del Sol. It was convenient to our drive from Phoenix and the attractions that we visited. The room and bed were comfortable in the casita (Room 41) that housed two units. We had a fridge in the room, patio table and chairs, and a reserved parking spot near the room. We enjoyed both restaurants for dinner. The common areas were lovely and well maintained. The staff were attentive. By day four, the tile floor in our room really needed to be mopped. I assume it was because of the dry dirt that we were tracking in each day. This was the only negative that I noted.

Room Tip: Note that some of the rooms that are part of the original school housed at this location are called...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CS,
Thank you for staying 4 nights with us recently, I hope our heat wasnt too overbearing. My apologies on the missed mopping in your unit, this should be handled as needed especially with our landscapes and the issues that attracts. This will be addressed with our staff.
Thank you also for choosing to stay and dine with us on property in both of our restaurants. I am pleased to hear that your accommodations, service and grounds all provided a worthwhile stay. The parking spot comes in quite handy when we have large events or groups so you have the convenience of being at your front door ever time you come back. Next time your in Phoenix we would love the opportunity to make it a great and not good stay. Regards
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a two night stay in casita #39 and was very impressed how well maintained and comfortable the room was. The unit was spacious and equipped with two queen beds with room enough for a third bed. The outside cactus gardens were very nice and the central garden was very lush and green. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear M,
Thank you for coming to visit from California recently. Great to hear your stay went well and we appreciate your posting a review to share.
I am very pleased to hear your accommodations met your needs for space, comfort and appointment. The seclusion of the room with the patio facing the gardens and Catalina Mountains views is one of my favorites in the hotel. As travelers know the room is only part of the experience. I am proud to see our staff was able to provide the service to round out a great experience.
I hope next time your in Arizona you come stay with us again. Regards