“This hotel needs an enema!”

Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport
Ranked #107 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Eugene
“This hotel needs an enema!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have been staying at this Hotel during the Tucson Gem Show fore over 10 years. Unfortunately because of the gem show; I have no choice!
It is dirty....no correction..... I mean filthy.

Holiday Inn needs to come here and over-haul the hotel and the staff!
The room keys don't work...it takes 2-5 minutes to enter the room!
It is funny because as we are trying to enter our room.....we see other guests having the same issue!
The staff is unfriendly and uncaring! We stayed for 2 weeks. We noticed that they never changed our bed sheets. So we wrote a note and left a tip to change our sheets. They take the tip but never change the sheets until we talk to management! This is the same every year!
The public bathrooms for the show are filthy!

I truly wish they would relocate the show!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barry S
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Barry S

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and share your recent experience on Trip Advisor. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and use this information to better our quality and service.

First and foremost I would like to offer my sincerest and humblest apologies for your recent stay with us. It certainly was not representative of our standards or the Holiday Inn brand. I would like the opportunity to speak to you further about the service you recieved. I may be emailed direct at Susan.moger@Jqh.com. It is truly guests like you that make us better at what we do. Thank you again for taking the time to send in your review . If your journey takes you back to Tucson again I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Susan Moger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is one of John Q Hammond's hotels. He was the best and I always try and stay at his places when I can because of the SERVICE!!!

They remember who you are and call you by name. Good morning Mr. " ". All thru the hotel, they treat you like family. They appreciate us long-time Platinum folks too. Great points offers at this hotel.

I stay in the top floor suites by the pool. I have never had any of the issues that the bad reviews suggest exist. They are a bit worn, but they are certainly up to brand. The pool is fantastic.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay with us. I share every comment we get with the team. We celebrate our successes as well as our opportunities and I am so glad that you were happy with your stay. We look forward to your next visit!

HENDERSON
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We are gem show buyers and have been staying at this hotel for the past several years. It has gotten worse each year in spite of promises to do otherwise. This was my last review from a year ago:
"We stay at this hotel every year to attend the gem show mainly because of it's convenience to the exhibitors. The only time this hotel deserved a better review was some years ago. It has quickly gone downhill again. The three of us buyers always stay in a suite which has a microwave and small fridge which comes in handy.
The couch which opens to a bed is made up of just springs and last year my roomate found a pair of dirty socks in the bed!!! After reporting it the hotel took off only $40.00 from the price of the room instead of giving one night free.
The microwave control buttons are so dirty and sticky that we wrapped our fingers in a washcloth to press the buttons. I guess that's why the rooms are so poorly lit (even with all the lights on in the rooms you still can't see) so you can't see the grime on the rugs. Sheets on the king bed were clean, bed barely comfortable. Woke up every morning with swollen eyelids ( dust? dust mites?) ????? Had to take allergy medicine and symptoms cleared as soon as I was able to sleep in my own bed at home.
The restaurant seems never really prepared for so many guests even though the gem show is a yearly occurrence. The breakfast buffet served cold scrambled eggs, cold oatmeal, and barely warm sausage & bacon. They are always in a hurry to shoo you out as fast as they can. Hotel front desk staff very courteous and we were able to get an early check in when we arrived.
I think the time has come to look for another hotel for our yearly trip and utilize the free shuttle service to see the vendors at this site."

After my last review, I contacted the manager (at his request) and he wrote this:

"Thank you for your email. I am happy that you emailed me and we are able to communicate prior to Gem Show.
Things have changed since last year, although no major updates other than a new elevator system being in place by when you arrive. Where our biggest impact is made is with our housekeeping department. We did make a change in leadership with the Executive Housekeeper and our new leader, Otha Taylor, has been a great addition since March. Additionally, we have a hiring campaign going on currently so we do not have to have temporary help from sister hotels or temp agencies. This will also improve cleanliness standards.
I expect better things out of our food and beverage operation as well. Our Chef is new and has extensive experience and our restaurant manager is top notch.
My expectation is 2014 will be a better year and you will notice the difference. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

Mr. Kym Myers | General Manager

So we arrive and our suite is on the third floor facing the pool. The elevators are broken -- see manager's email above about the new elevators (and have been broken, according to a gem show organizer for 3 months!) We helped the clerk carry our 3 heavy bags up 3 flights! The ice machine was broken. The TV was broken. The phone was out of order. Hello????? Is anyone home at this hotel? When we went out to get food our room keys did not work---back down 3 flights to front desk to have our keys re-charged, up 3 flights again. Housekeeping could not keep up. You mean to tell me that the income from the gem shows alone could not refurbish this hotel??? Are you kidding me???
Heed the advice of other reviewers and stay away from this place!

Room Tip: Helpful Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JEFFREY and El... G
Dear Mr Henderson,

Thank you for your candid response on Trip Advisor. Please allow me to humbly apologize for the many inconveniences you had to overcome during your recent stay with us.

It is true that the Gem show is the busiest time of year for us and unfortunatley our elevators were out of service due to the extensive upgrade project that had been delayed. Please know that we did try to do everything in our power to correct the situation. It was truly out of our hands.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at susan.moger@jqh.com.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond on trip advisor. It is guests like you that make us better at what we do.

Susan Moger

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels

Wolfville, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night, January 31 - February 1, 2014. The famous Gem Show was underway, so the hotel was booked to capacity. Neither the physical plant nor the staff were up to the challenge.
* There were dirty dishes, left by room service, on the floor, on the Fifth floor for the duration of our stay.
* Most TV channels were unavailable; the ones we could view were unwatchable.
* There was a huge row between a guest and the desk staff about large fees for local telephone calls. In the end the manager had to be called to settle the matter.
* The desk staff neglected to take an imprint of my credit card in order to cover incidental charges ( the room had been prepaid). This resulted in confusion when I tried to charge breakfast to our room; it was only by accident that we had not left the premises when the error was discovered.
* There were no packs of regular coffee in our room, only decaf. A small matter, but annoying.
* Of the two elevators serving our (six-storey) wing, only one was in working order, so service was glacial.
* The hotel is tired and worn and needs a complete refit.
Stay away until management gets a grip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TerryPearson
Dear Terry Pearson,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. . We genuinely appreciate your feedback and use this information to better our quality and service.

First and foremost please allow me to personally apologize for the seeming lack of service that was provided to you by our team. It certainly was not representative of our standards or the Holiday Inn brand. I can appreciate your patience with only having one elevator working during your stay. We have been in the middle of a major elevator refresh project and it has taken a considerable amount of time that had not been forseen. I can only imagine how frusterating it must have been to not have your favorite channels to watch or the embarrasment of not being able to place breakfast on your room charge due to an error on our part. We really appreciate your candor as it relates to your stay.

It is guests like you that make us better at what we do. Thank you again for writing a comment And if your journey takes you back to Tucson I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

I would love the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you. I may be reached at susan.moger@jqh.com

Best Regards
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Disgusting! I can't believe this place hasn't been condemned. I mean come on! It's 2014!! My room had the worst vinegar smell, the bathroom had mold all over the dirty tile, and there were fecal stains in my toilet. They wouldn't refund my $183.00 and they were completely booked. The train was incessant and I swear a murder went down somewhere close by because the cops were outside my window all night. NEGATIVE STARS!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Zacharyogilby
Dear Zacharyogilby,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. I am so incredibly sorry and would like to personally apologize that your stay with us was anything less than satisfactory. I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you . I can be reached directly at 520.746.1161 ext 600.

Again thank you for the time you took to post your concerns. It is guests like you that make us better at what we do. I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to have you as our guest if your travels ever bring you back to Tucson.

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed 6 February 2014

One of two elevators for six floor tower was broken for the entire time we were there. Remaining elevator could not take more than 5 people and was incredibly slow. At one point, a staff member asked us to get off the elevator because there were too many people on it (i.e. 7) even though elevator was supposedly rated to 1800 lbs. Understand that some guests had been stranded on "overloaded" elevator earlier. Door lock from parking area broke. The TV cable went on the fritz and we got no reception for most of one evening. Bed was miserable - it was sunken in the middle and we both woke up with backaches every morning. There was a very heavy odor of cigarette smoke on our entire floor. A staff member said that the hotel had not yet gone smoke free because it cost too much to convert. When we checked in, we were told we would have to take a smoking room because we got the room thru Priceline. I insisted on a non-smoking room and eventually, they found one. We were so displeased we checked out a day early even though we had prepaid and there was no refund. The good news was that the staff seemed very well-trained and polite.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Rick D,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously. We have sent you a private message addressing your concerns.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jasper, Georgia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The fire alarm went off at 3:30 and 7:30AM. Only one elevator for 6 floors and I got stuck in it twice. Two guest I talked too were given keys to occupied rooms. The room down the hall had to get new keys everyday. Severe management and front desk issues. Avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: If you can get a ground floor room, it might not be that bad.
Green Features: Excellent! The maid staff will change everything unless you let them know so stay on your toes and save some water.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jim H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Jim H,