“mind poor reviews!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hilo, Hawaii
“mind poor reviews!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is not your regular Holiday Inn; it is not a 3 star hotel. The photos are not accurate, why? because bedclothes are grey and stained. Pillow smell of many greasy heads, carpets are stained. One elevator to a 6 floor building with an additional one broken; according other reviews it has been broken for several months. Staff mops floors with buckets of decidedly black water...unbelievable!

Why not change the water? it does not take that much extra work, does it? Well this is Tucson after all. Staff is responsive, that is all this place can claim for credit for. Yet, they are very limited to what they can do, obviously. I requested that bedclothes be changed after I saw the room. A man came in with an assortment of bedclothes which he left on the desk without making an attempt to make the bed. I was told he would go an get new pillows after he looked at the ones in my bed. He never came back. The sheets were as grey and stained as the ones in my bed. I waited for him to come back with the pillows, no luck. Hour later I call back service desk, this time asking for the assistant manager to come to my room, he/she never did show up Two chambermaids were sent with Snow White sheets and clean pillows, they made my bed. Told me they had to walk up 6 floors because elevator was out of order

Went downstairs to get something to eat, and when I came back, I took the only elevator available by myself. Elevator smelled of something burning, when it got to the 6th floor, door did not open. Finally I pried open the door. Called front desk, only elevator serving 6 floors and 350 units was not in operation for sometime. Next morning went for a jog, came back and there was a bee line of housekeepers with their carts waiting for the elevator along 10 guests; they did not allow the guest to go first, so there was a lengthy wait. I went up 6 floors using the fire escape stairs.

Second night I come back to my room at 5pm and there is a incredible loud noise like a huge dryer going on, it was not from the neighboring units so I put on my headphones and enjoyed a movie in my computer...tv choices...not much. 2 hours later the noise was going on. Went to get something to eat, came back same thing going on. Now it was time to tuck in because early departure next day; I called service desk. They send maintenance to check noise. I was told they had enabled the fans to clean the "filters" and depending how dirty they were, it may take 4 to 72 hours to automatically shut down and as far as they were concerned the whole 6th floor would have to deal with it. Desk offers I change room at 9pm, I decline because I had not packed up and I was too tired. I asked for a courtesy in return; I am told free breakfast coupon will be issued. Could not sleep very well, air conditioner in room is also extremely noisy. Woke up at 4 because I could not sleep, went for a jog, came back, packed up went downstairs to have breakfast, no coupon. Huge long discussion among staff ensues, finally they give me a coupon out of not being able to reach a "consensus".

Check out time: I am told I owe 3 dollars for each small water bottle left in my bathroom. I indicated that there was no sign or label indicating that they were other than a courtesy to the guess. I am told they were labeled as such. I remarked that not such a thing was on the bottle either. I was told they would void the charge...I hope they did. Even although the booking was prepaid they still put a hold on my credit card. So surprise, all those bottles the maid left each day are not free and they are not labeled either; if you drink them it would be the most expensive water you drank in a while.

In short: THIS IS NOT A THREE STAR HOTEL. Everything you touch here is sticky. The floors are a shame. The state of the bedclothes an unforgivable abomination. The manager should really be fired; a single, good conscientious cleaner would do!

Question: why a national chain like this would not have clean sheets and the client would have to go through so much fuzz to get them changed? Why is it that the general manager does not consider that properly cleaning the premises would be an asset to this property. This is not brain surgery folks, cheap room or not cheap room, clean sheets are a basic necessity to prevent discomfort and DISEASE.

Yes, I am angry, This was a weekend vacation and I spent more time dealing with bs than actually enjoying Tucson. Lesson for next time: Do not book blind offers no matter how inexpensive they appear based on a higher star rating. Do not use Priceline or Hotwire because they lie about the star rating.

Room Tip: Tucson has an overall problem with cleanliness, even top hotels can present challenges. Don't fa...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank shaunsheep49
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear shaunsheep49,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 February 2014

It is 3:00am and I am writing this review from the hotel as I am unable to sleep. I don't know who decides these star ratings but they need to rethink their standards. As a woman traveling alone I don't feel completely safe here. This is a two building property. I was given a room in an off corner at the end of a long hallway in the seperate secondary building. My check in was late evening, I had a fairly long walk across a large very full parking area. While I was waiting for the very slow elevator a group of loud young men came in to get on the elevator too. Being in a seperate building with no discernable signs of security or security cameras this was very unnerving. The room itself is not so bad but again not 3 stars. After the unpleasant elevator experience the first thing you see in the room is a fairly long list of "Guest safety tips". Unlike other guest reviews I have had no issues with smoke and as a non smoker that was a concern. My bed is comfortable. Room is clean. I don't have HBO at home and was surprised at what a minor can watch on TV here with apparently no parental guidance blocking available.No complaints about the room just questioning the stars again.

So now for my second night. I was able to find a second parking lot allowing me to park much closer to the building. Would have been nice if I had been advised of the second lot at check in. The doors from this lot into the building are totally unsecured. There is a keylock for the doors but it's not needed as the door doesn't close all the way. This building has 2 elevators and only 1 works..sort of. Tonight there were probably 10 people and their luggage waiting. I have listened to the trains running all night and from 2-3am squeals and screams from somebody partying.

This was a quick trip and I got this property thru Hotwire. The Hotwire price was good and certainly more in line with the actual rating I feel this property should have. Sure makes me think twice about Hotwire but that's a different issue.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Linda S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Linda S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Tucson.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels

Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I fly in and out of Tucson when we visit our daughter and her family who live in Sierra Vista, and we usually stay overnight in Tucson the night before our flight back to NJ. This was our first time staying at the Holiday Inn and Suites Tucson Airport North, and we were completely satisfied with our time here. We had a clean, comfortable, relaxing room and we had dinner in the restaurant lounge. We ordered their pizza with sausage and mushrooms, and it was delicious!!!! We were pleasantly surprised since it was a hotel restaurant. The bed was a little bit hard for my liking, but my husband thought it was very comfortable. It just depends on an individual's preference. I have a very bad back, so I need just a little bit of softness from a pillowtop mattress, which they do not have. We will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
West Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We happened to book the week during the gem show. One elevator that was working. We were on the 5th floor so we did a lot of walking of stairs. Room was cleaned nicely each day. The common areas next to the lobby are kept in good shape, but this property is in need of refurbishment. We stay at Holiday Inn because we have a loyalty card. If we planned on spending the entire day in the hotel or at the hotel pool, I wouldn't stay here. But we toured all day and just relaxed and slept after 7pm. The beds were good, the room was quiet(although the window air conditioner was terribly noisy. In fact I turned it off when we went to bed and turned it back on when we got up for the day.)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear RhondafromND,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Amado, Arizona
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Let's start by noting this has nothing to do with 'service' which was good. This is about an old and tired hotel that has a ton of deferred maintenance really dated decor. For the same money we usually stay at the sister Holiday Inn Express wherever we go. Usually the price is connected to the value. Not here. They charge as much and the experience is not comparable. HI Express has a refrigerator in the room, an included breakfast, much nicer decor and easy to get from lobby to room. Not even a complimentary cup of fresh coffee downstairs but, three bucks and you can buy one. And, oh yeah, what about HI Express's superb and free fresh cookies in the lobby at check in. I have no idea who this John Q Hammon property 'thinks' their target customer is but, I know it isn't me. Never again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ray H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Ray H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
Eugene
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have been staying at this Hotel during the Tucson Gem Show fore over 10 years. Unfortunately because of the gem show; I have no choice!
It is dirty....no correction..... I mean filthy.

Holiday Inn needs to come here and over-haul the hotel and the staff!
The room keys don't work...it takes 2-5 minutes to enter the room!
It is funny because as we are trying to enter our room.....we see other guests having the same issue!
The staff is unfriendly and uncaring! We stayed for 2 weeks. We noticed that they never changed our bed sheets. So we wrote a note and left a tip to change our sheets. They take the tip but never change the sheets until we talk to management! This is the same every year!
The public bathrooms for the show are filthy!

I truly wish they would relocate the show!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barry S
Holiday Inn and... T, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Barry S

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and share your recent experience on Trip Advisor. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and use this information to better our quality and service.

First and foremost I would like to offer my sincerest and humblest apologies for your recent stay with us. It certainly was not representative of our standards or the Holiday Inn brand. I would like the opportunity to speak to you further about the service you recieved. I may be emailed direct at Susan.moger@Jqh.com. It is truly guests like you that make us better at what we do. Thank you again for taking the time to send in your review . If your journey takes you back to Tucson again I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Best Regards,

Susan Moger
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is one of John Q Hammond's hotels. He was the best and I always try and stay at his places when I can because of the SERVICE!!!

They remember who you are and call you by name. Good morning Mr. " ". All thru the hotel, they treat you like family. They appreciate us long-time Platinum folks too. Great points offers at this hotel.

I stay in the top floor suites by the pool. I have never had any of the issues that the bad reviews suggest exist. They are a bit worn, but they are certainly up to brand. The pool is fantastic.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay with us. I share every comment we get with the team. We celebrate our successes as well as our opportunities and I am so glad that you were happy with your stay. We look forward to your next visit!

Best Regards,