“Cockroaches. No customer service. Never again.”

Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport
Ranked #106 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Cockroaches. No customer service. Never again.”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Let's see... cockroach, unprofessional staff, rooms not ready for check in, and no attempt at customer satisfaction. Never again!

I had the unique privilege of being twice burned by this Holiday Inn. I did a priceline bid for two separate stays (on a Thursday night and on a Saturday night -- bookending a trip to Kitt Peak). For both stays, I got this Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites for about $50 including tax. Priceline's bid now function has never led me wrong -- until this trip.

On our Thursday stay, I woke up to a GIANT COCKROACH in the bathroom. My fiance killed it and then called the front desk to let them know. When I went to check out, they acted like he must've been lying because he told housekeeping not to bother coming to kill it (it was already dead and in the trash can). I showed them the photo on my iPhone, and she happily informed me that it was a sewer cockroach. As if I cared. No apology, no offer of anything. I suggested that they comp our appetizers from the previous night (speaking of which, our waitress the previous night was seriously wacked out and unprofessional)... after consulting another person at the front desk, it was decided that that was possible. Again, no initiative to make me a happy guest after dealing with a roach.

On our Saturday stay (which is ongoing at the time of this writing), they made us wait an hour for our room (until 4pm) after first trying to put us in a smoking room. Why wasn't our room ready at 3pm as promised? Well, they had been booked the night before and didn't have enough housekeeping staff to clean the rooms in time for a 3pm turnover. So, we WASTED ONE HOUR of our lives waiting for the room to be cleaned. To make matters worse, they initially told us it would be 30 minutes for our room to be ready. I had to go to the desk 3 times before getting a room -- each time waiting in a line of similarly frustrated travelers. Another guest asked if breakfast could be comped given the inconvenience, and the woman helping her would only give her and her husband one comped breakfast because she "can't give all 56 people waiting a comp breakfast." Well, if you promised 56 peoples rooms at 3pm and then failed to hire adequate staff to make that happen, then yes you can and yes you should!

I will never stay here again. And to make sure this never happens, I will never use the bidding function on priceline to book a room in the Tucson airport area. (Speaking of which, this hotel is much further from the airport than the other airport hotels. On the plus side, the shuttle drivers were quite nice and were by far the most professional people we encountered here.)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kpag
areno24, Area Revenue Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 20 October 2010
Dear KPGA,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are sorry to see that your experience was not a positive one. Your comments have been forwarded to our executive team for review from each depart to review. We take pride in the condition and overall presence of the hotel and treat the hotel for preventive measures so that situations like this do not occur. We are sorry that you are leaving our hotel with a negative experience and that your situation was not handled in the professional manor that we uphold and expect from out staff. Once again thank you for bringing to light our shortcomings and we appreciate your comments.

Area Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Albert Lea, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night before our flight back home. We had been driving for 6 hours through Mexico so it was awesome to have a bar and restaurant on sight. We had a great price for the room since I had did Priceline, 39.00 plus tax. It was a great deal. They have a great pool area and the rooms are updated and nice. They gave you a choice of pillows but they were still uncomfortable which the only complaint I have for our stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
areno24, Area Revenue Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Dear StillDreaming,

Thank you for posting your comments on your stay with the hotel. We a appreciate you taking the time to review and post pictures of the hotel. We are happy to hear that you had a safe trip to Mexico and we look foreword to you returning to the hotel in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to review out hotel. Have a great holiday season.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 April 2010

After a representative stopped by the Marriott I was staying at during breakfast and talked me into giving them a try with their rates being lower. Well, I completely regret the following week when I came back to Tucson and gave the Holiday Inn Palo Verde a try... As soon as I turned into the parking lot I felt a sick feeling in my stomach as the area looked unsafe and rundown located in the industrial side of town. It looked like they had a swap meet next door?!?? The hotel was empty and sort of haunting. I waited a few minutes although I heard the hotel staff talking behind the desk. The rooms look like a typical hotel room- nothing outstanding. The restaurant food was decent, and the breakfast was okay. It's fine if you typically stay at a Days Inn or Holiday Inn but I really missed my home hotel because I get so much more for the money and now appreciate even more the safety, spacious rooms, good food, internet and quality service I get for free at the Marriott Residence Airport. But if you need to save money and are okay with mediocre, then this HOliday Inn is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank ArchieBunker77
areno24, Area Revenue Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 19 July 2010
Dear ArchieBunker77,

We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not what you were anticipating and expecting. We do our very best to provide the best quality of service for all our guests needs. We appreciate your feed back.

Area Revenue Manager

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels

San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I'd never go back to this hotel, not even if I could get the same deal on Priceline ($62 incl taxes/fees). It took 10 minutes to check in, even though I was the only guest in the lobby. Had to wait for the front desk divas to finish gossiping with each other, talking smack about other staff, discussing what's on Pay-Per-View at the casinos, etc., before they even acknowledged I was there. Then, I had to wait to get my key while they completed their shift report, which they hadn't even begun when I started checking in.

The "free" wi-fi is extremely slow and intermittently cuts out. You have to pay over $10 to get a connection with decent speed. The hotel is in desperate need of renovations, though the interior of the rooms is surprisingly plush. Mostly, this hotel is crowded with large families from the nearby military base, as well as business travelers. It's far from downtown, and there's almost nothing in the area (besides a great brewpub).

You can do a lot better in Tucson. Give this place a miss.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank california_vagabond
areno24, Area Revenue Manager at Radisson Hotel Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 16 April 2010
Dear California_vagabond-
We are sorry to hear that your recent stay was not as pleasant as we would have liked. Your comments will be addressed towards our front desk staff. The wireless internet should have be 100% free, if you did encounter a charge please contact myself and I will contact the vendor to find out why there was a charge. We are sorry that your stay was not as nice as others have experienced. Should you wish address any other concerns please contact me at Aaron.Reno@jqh.com.
Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2009

My husband and I recently spent one night at this hotel. We made our reservations through Hotwire for $49 a night. We chose a hotel in southern Tucson because it's an hour drive from Tombstone, which is where we were spending our days for the weekend. The hotel is very easy to find, it's just right off the I-10. I could actually see the "Holiday Inn' sign from the highway.

The hotel is in the processes of renovations, as the sign in the lobby indicated. The lobby itself is quite large. They have a large waterfall in the center of the lobby and small pools of water. It's a pretty neat feature. The front desk staff was courteous, but we noticed that other staff would not greet as as we walked by them.

We stayed in room 126, which is located in the large tower of the hotel. Our room was quite nice and very clean. It looks like it may have been recently renovated. We had a large king size bed, side chair, desk and chair, TV, mini-fridge and coffee maker. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were not. My neck was sore the next morning because of the uncomfortable angle of my head caused by the too thick pillows

The bathroom shower had great water pressure, and the shower head had a couple of spray options. At 5'5", the shower head was just a few inches above my head. For my 5'10" husband, the shower head was a few inches below his head. Also, the shower curtain is sheer for the top 1/4th of it, so you have to be careful that you don't accidentally spray water out.

We did have breakfast in the restaurant. My husband ordered a waffle, and I ate from the buffet. The buffet had fruit, milk, juice, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, turkey sausage, breakfast potatoes, danishes, donuts and the waitress can bring you toast.

The hotel has a very large pool area. I was quite impressed.

One thing to note: From the rooms to the main lobby, you must walk outside for a moment. I mention that because if it's cold or raining, you may want to dress appropriately for the elements.

We would not hesitate staying at this hotel again, especially for the great price. We'd just bring our own pillows next time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston Tx.
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Older Hotel. Looks like it might need some remodelling REAL soon. It wasn't the nicest but for the price we paid it was fine. It was old but clean. For a one night stay while on the road it was okay. Pleasant people at the front desk - parking easy. No real complaints.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Dukeandfamily
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Stayed 3 nights in a King Suite facing the pool. Price was typical for Tucson airport area. On the plus side: great pool; very good room decor & furniture. On the minus side: really slow check-in (only one clerk & two high-maintenance guests in line ahead of me); originally placed us in wrong room type (no sofa bed); hot tub was volcanic!! (didn't see anyone using it); no lobby coffee or morning continental bkfst (hotel has onsite restaurant but we much prefer just coffee and pastries); very loud party with lots of kids/beer on last night an no hotel staff in sight to tone it down; at checkout the clerk didn't know what fast food places were open nearby for a cuppa coffee (and none in the lobby, of course). Overall, it was fair. I'd price-shop it again but would need to get a really good deal to consider staying there again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family